Why do people consider Genetic modification unnatural?

We humans have been engaging in genetic modification for tens of thousands of years. We selectively bred animals to create lifestock/pets. The ancestors of Native Americans selectively bred wild plants to create corn.

What Girls Said 1

• Because people don't research the issue. Like husbandry and selective planting are fine. But like when we start talking about mixing a peanut with a soybean in a lab it gets worrisome.

What Guys Said 2

• You're talking about natural selection and evolution. This is normal and organisms adapt in a natural and safe way over extended periods of time. Forcing rapid genetic modifications in a lab is dangerous since no one can account for all the possible outcomes and variables. Only now science has begun to discover some gmo foods are extremely dangerous. And those are relatively simple organisms. Imagine modifications on a large scale like a human. I'm no geneticist but I seriously doubt they'll be able to produce a safe and reliable modification that doesn't cause an avalance of adverse effects. Not to mention nature had millions of years to shape us. I doubt we'll come up with something better any time soon.

• What are you talking about, study after study has proven that GMO's are not dangerous. I do not agree with human modification, but GMO's could feed the world.

• Yes, who would dare lie in their own studies... The world is already drowning in food. The only countries that lack it are the ones with desert climate where nothing can grow or the ones that can't maintain a stable government and economy due to violence. As for GMOs - feel free to eat as much as you want. I prefer feeding myself the old fashioned way.

• It's considered unnatural because we are modifying animals' genes in a more direct way than ever before. Previously we just need them wit certain selections to get the desired result. Now we can pick to choice animals, modify their genes as we see fit, then make the baby exactly how we wanted it. Aka sheep that glow in the dark and other weird things.