What are your thoughts on "checking your privilege"?

I just watched this video on a woman named Julie Vu on Youtude. She's a wealthy and passable transgender woman and in the video she talks about how people always try to discredit her struggles because she has more "privilege". I agree she is very fortunate being a passable woman, having surgeries for SRS, breast augmentation, facial feminization, owning desinger bags, shoes, clothes and having a job as a Youtuber making tons of money from social media and other outlets. She has all that, but people seem to forget how hard she had to work to get to that point. She wasn't born with money handed down to her and her biological father still to this day calls her by her birth name. She still gets clocked and she still has to face the stigma of being different and being transgender every single day. Do you think its right to discredit her struggles just because she's more "passable" as a woman and wealthier than the average transgender person who is going or went through the same thing? And what are your thoughts on "checking your privilege" in general? Be it that you are heterosexual, cis gendered, white, a man, abled bodied, attractive, wealthy or skinny. Is this a real thing that people need to be more aware of?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a phrase used by people who are "oppressed" to try to get us "privileged" folk to care about their "problems."

Here's the thing. Me hearing about the "issues" that these people supposedly face is like watching one of those videos where people do stupid shit like ride their bike down a stair railing and end up face planting on the concrete. Why should I care for the problems faced by others if those problems are self inflicted? If anything, I'll just be amused. You don't want people to "bully" you for being gay or transgender, don't rub it in everybody's faces like it should be front page news. You don't want to get shot up by the police, don't get aggressive with them. You want to be paid as much as a man, don't pick a near useless major. Until responsibility for shortcomings is taken, the phrase "check your privilege" will be nothing more than a cluster of words used by people to try to cheaply explain why they are better than people who they are inferior to.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that it's very important for all of us to be grateful for things that are good in our lives. As a mostly white person who passes for fully white basically everywhere, I don't face racial discrimination often. I'm really lucky. I have friends who are far smarter and more capable than I am struggling to find work because their names sound so foreign that no one wants to take a chance on them. In that way, I'm privileged.

Recognizing that you have an easier time than some other people doesn't negate that you have had to struggle. It doesn't mean that everything was handed to you on a silver platter. It just means that the starting gate for some people is a little closer to the finish line than for others.

What Guys Said 14

• This is a great example of how the Politically Correct/Social Justice Warrior crowd ends up feeding on itself. This "woman" can check off two boxes: "She" is a trans, and "she" thinks she's a "she." Should be good enough right. Wrong. This "she" is white and has money. Not good. That almost negates the two boxes for PC approval "she" is able to get credit for. Now, if this "she" was black, poor, and Muslim AND trans, then "she" would be home free.

• i dont even know what checking privilege is, im only asking now because this is the 2nd question I came across about it within the last 10 minutes.

• The checking of privilege is cultural Marxist claptrap.
    I am a heterosexual white male.
    If anyone does not like that, I will be delighted to give them an opportunity to settle it one on one.

• Basically my reaction to all that check your privilege and similar SJW bullshit

i.redditmedia.com/...LZEt-Qz6QepAUJ0qVNx1JJ-Bo.jpg

• So, an insane guy that thinks he's a girl is complaining that people refuse to acknowledge his madness?
    Outrageous!

• Checking privilege is just a fallacious argument that ├╝ber liberals make so they can discredit you even though they are wrong. Anyone who uses that phrase I automatically have no respect for.

• 0|0
    • err, scratch that. Turns out that the thing I just linked isn't what I thought it was.

• I don't give a fuck about privilege.

• Everyone has their own problems.
    No one is inherently better than another.

• Meh.

• I think that "privelege" crap is total bs

• The thing is, why this issue when we're looking for equity?

• It's pointless. That check your privilege is such a joke. People just want to take down people who are successful or doing well in their life.

• At first "check your privilege" was just to make people more conscientious about the hardships of others but it quickly turned into smear anyone that has a better life than you by bitter people.

What Girls Said 4

• No, I don't think it's fair to discredit her struggles just because she's now a passable trans woman with money. She worked hard to get where she is now.

The "check your privilege" thing is only if you're one of those people who's like "*Sexual/racial minority or poor/women* needs to just work harder/ act less queer" THAT pisses me off beyond belief. However, just because they happen to be, say, a straight, white man, doesn't mean their opinion is invalid, it just means they may not have experience things others have to deal with, like sexual harassment or getting harassed for race/sexuality.

• She's really brave... being open to the public about herself

• This is the same transwomen, who refuses to date men who don't identify " straight" and she is racist against herself as a Asian. the trans community need to stop crying and get their gender dysphora checked. they are literally able to make videos crying about being born in the wrong body when scientifically this is. impossible. Their sad videos of them crying allows them to live out their Walt Disney fairytale life in real life and force other people to have to see them as real girls or boys. Julie wasn't popular before she transitioned, she passes because she like gigi butchered their perfectly healthy bodies to fit their delusion. Men need to stop white knighting them, women need to stop worshipping them and encourage them to get proper medical help. Julie is an idiot, just like gigi, just like Caitlyn.

• When someone says that, I immediately stop listening lmao