How to calculate cost of electricity from work done?

guys this is probably a very easy question for people doing engineering or physics or even for people in the school!

so let's say I know a work done of (say heat pump).. how do i calculate the cost of electricity (say 1 hour) for the device being operated?

Most Helpful Guy

• it comes down to wattage the formula is W=VI or wattage equals voltage times amperage. In the US the wall voltage is fixed at 120 V so the question is amperage or "draw" there are meters that are designed to calculate this for you, without a meter it get's much more complicated, so we won't even go there. After you calculate wattage, then just google cost per amp hour for your electrical provider, and multiply that out. That would give you your total cost.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Always ask for &127.34. Works every time cuz they think we know stuff!

• I know the formula to work out cost is power x time x cost of one unit of electricity. I'm pretty sure power= work done over time so all you have to do is divide the work done amount by the time which is one hour so it stays the same

So just do work done (make sure it's in Kj or Kw when changed to power) then times that by 1 then however much one unit of electricity costs which is like 10p.

• you got to turn it into like watts and shit. its been a while