How would you treat the wait staff in this situation?

Think of this scenerio, waiter or waitress brings you your drink order, and in an instant, she spills your drink on your phone, thus destroying it. How to handle it? How do you think you would respond in the heat of the moment?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd be annoyed, but I wouldn't get angry. I would expect the restaurant to replace my phone or pay my (hypothetical) insurance fee though.

• If they refused to pay?

• Internally I'd be screamingly upset but externally I'd calm it down. It's a mistake. I'm not going to ask the restaurant to pay but maybe the tip I leave for that meal is $1. That's a courtesy of me not raising a stink. If the meal is over $100 I'd leave $5 or more enough to show no hard feelings but she's taking a piece of the cut. I think that's more than fair. She's paying $25 of the deductible which is $175 but it's my fault as well for not better protecting my phone. I work in insurance. I see no tip as enough. It's my job to safeguard my phone and I do. What if I had my new iPhone out with no case and the waiter pushed a plate that pushed another plate on our small table and my screen cracked? Not their problem my phone should have been on the table. You protect your phone not the waiter.

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont usually get mad at things like that. I only get mad if Im stressed and someone bothers me when I really want to be alone. Then I can snap.

Someone accidentally spilling water on my phone and showing remorse would not anger me. It would be annoying, disheartening, and inconvinent but not infuriating.

Although now that I think about it, Im pretty sure my phone is water resistent up to 6 ft or something like that so I guess it wouldn't be much of an inconvinience either.☺

What Girls Said 15

• I'd obviously be upset, but I'd really be more concerned about how horrified the server would be. It was just an accident and they didn't mean it. My phone breaking is also not as important as putting someone's job at stake, so I wouldn't make a huge deal about it. I'd definitely hope they offer some sort of help, because I think that would be the kind thing to do.

• Honestly I'd probably be a total bitch about it in the heat of the moment. Hey, I'm being honest here. And I say that because I'd be nervous about the state of my ohone and lash out due to the stress, not because I am an asshole in general. But then I will cool down and probably realize that I overreacted anyways.

• I would be upset but I wouldn't yell at her. Accidents happen. As a waitress myself I know how stressful things can be and sometimes you just have bad days where everything goes wrong.
    I would expect the company to pay me for a replacement, though.

• I don't have a phone. But if it was my iPad. I would be frustrated. I would turn it off and hope that it dries out.

• I wouldn't make too big of deal about it. Mistakes happen, which is why I got insurance on it.

• I wouldn't freak out because shit happens. I have insurance so I can get a new phone and I will be fine because I think I can live without for a few days.

• Honestly, I would probably cry. Not only would my phone be destroyed, but people would be looking at me (and probably judging me) and I would feel stupid/guilty.

• This situation isn't all about, you to be honest. The poor waiter or waitress is probably mortified and humiliated. You're not the one who made the mistake. It's more embarassing for her than you.

• @Asker Yes.

• I see. Well thanks for stopping by.

• I would thank her for destroying the phone. I was looking for an excuse to get a new one anyway.

• I'd be a little annoyed and would be expecting the restaurant to at least compensate a little.

• You don't want to see me angry.
    stream1. gifsoup. com/view6/4253840/puny-god-hulk-o. gif

• 😐 "fuck u." jk

• I would be upset but it was an accident so I wouldn't be too mad. I would hope the waitress/waiter would help me replace it. It was technically their fault so I think they're legally obligated to reimburse me.

• I would never return to the resturant

• I wouldn't freak out too much cause I have a warranty...

• Id probably respond with "Oh shit!!" and then ask to speak to the manager to see what can be done about my phone (compensation wise). I wouldn't be mad at the waitstaff, they didn't do it on purpose and accident happen...

• What if the management refused to do anything?

• Honestly wouldn't mind that much, my phone only costs like $15...

What Guys Said 11

• Of course I'll be annoyed but I won't waste my time getting angry or upset about it. I'll just tell the waiter/waitress to forget about that and just carry on.

• Its a phone, accidents happen wouldn't care. Though to be fair I still use a flip phone so they are cheap to replace. Either way it was an accident and its just an object, easily replaced.

• I have Apple Care so no matter who did that to my iPhone it is covered under warranty.

• Man, as long as the restaurant comps my meal (and yes, I'd order lots more knowing it was free LOL) and takes care of my phone bill, I'm chillin'.

• Thanks for sounding off, DodgersGM. Always a pleasure.

• I wouldn't be angry or anything a little annoyed sure but I back everything and I mean everything up so it's no issue. Besides accidents happen, you can't predict em and most of the time you can't stop em, just part of life.

• I see. Would you expect the restaurant to compensate you?

• I see. Thanks for sounding off.

• Mistakes happen I would try to get the establishment to pay 1/2 the cost of replacement. Because it is partly my fault for leaving it on the table

• I'm not sure I can agree with you that it's 1/2 your fault simply because it's on the table. Thanks for stopping by.

• I'd say "Don't worry about it." and relax. I don't own an expensive phone and if I did I'd have insurance on it.

• I would laugh at them. Then take out any anger on the manager who gets paid to do so. I would tell them not to sweat it.

• "You didn't have to kill my phone to stop me from asking for your number."

• Talk to the management.

• What would you expect from that conversation?

• A compensation, of course.

Yelling at waiter does nothing; a guy probably already feels bad for what happened himself.

While shit happens to everyone, at the end of the day by our law I must be compensated for damage of my property. And in order to get that, I must document this incident with the management.

• If he was a waiter I'd fuck him wid ma kicks... if she was a waitress I'd fuck her wid ma dick... simple...