Why is "Satan" always used as a scapegoat?

Using logic, If god is an all-powerful all-knowing god, doesn't Satan need his permission to do anything in all of what he does? In the OT didn't god command Satan to kill? So why does Satan get the rep he does? Why is there a supposed spiritual warfare between Satan and god? God can destroy Satan with just the snap of a finger if he wanted to, there would be no such thing as warfare. Why are christians afraid of pointing the finger at god for all of the bad in the world? Using simple logic, doesn't it all point back to him? Is it because this would mean that their christian god isn't really omnipotent? God has killed more than Satan ever has, yet hides behind Satan and uses him as a scapegoat. Oh and I'm not a Satanist.

3|0
2|16

Most Helpful Guy

• Christianity boils down to one statement:
    Male dominated, monetarily motivated, control structure that has never had much to do with belief in God.

within Christianity everything is perpetuated by fear of damnation of the soul not by the eventuality of eternal peace. the Old Ways taught that the soul was part of the universe and that it returned to the universe when we died unless we were evil then the soul was grounded for eternity. basically the soul is the electrical energy that sustains us in life (called divine spark in some religions) and the grounding of that energy basically short circuits or converts that energy. energy within the universe is FINITE and must be recycled or converted to matter. (example of the conversion is sunlight energy converted into sugar then over time to coal or oil) the grounding of the soul is caused by the evil in the soul. there is always two sides to every thing. no life without death, no up without down, no light without darkness, and no good without evil. i believe Satan is a non existent scapegoat that so called Christians use to blame their own weaknesses and evil deeds on so they can sit on the amen bench at church on Sunday morning and feel good about themselves.

i also believe that Gutenberg was the most important man to ever live on the earth. by making the Bible available to the common man he stopped the revision and alteration of the book for all time. he stopped "the church" from being able to change the "holy scriptures" to suit the churches political agenda of the day to suit its need for further conquest of the soul and its energy and money.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• "oh and i'm not a satanist" hahahahha

i think it's because god and satan supposedly made a bet to see who could get the most people in heaven vs hell. isn't satan gonna be eternally in hell after the world ends. that's the reason i couldn't be very religious, why the heck would satan refuse the command of God. like wtf, is he stupid? did he not see that coming? also isn't he supposed to be an angel? islam says he's a jinn but still, wtf is he doing in heaven if he's a jinn. so many questions.

0|0
    0|0
    • You clearly watched Constantine too often.

• Show All
    • @FakeName123 hm, so do you see satan as a good thing? (not disagreeing, just wondering) it's not a popular concept with christians.

• @AEther i love stories too haha, i like the islamic lore because it's interesting.

god created jinn, humans, animals and angels. jinns are made of fire whereas humans are made of clay (which is why slapping our skin makes the same sound as slapping wet clay) they live on earth too but they aren't visible to humans although we are visible to them. they also have free-will like humans and they can be good (worshiping god) or evil (followers of satan).

they walked the earth before humans were ever created and they have genders too whereas angels don't. the reason adam was better than the jinn was because he had the capacity to learn and name things. there are different kinds of jinn. there's ifrit who are the cleverest and the marid who are the strongest, you can google it it's realllyy interesting.

the concept of jinn, if true, justifies all supernatural things in all cultures. i come from angola and didn't know much about islam either but then i started reading about it.

What Guys Said 15

• according to the bible God gave humans free will and thus humans and angels (including satan beign the falling angel) have the capacity to act on their own

so the logic of Christianity is that you can't blame god for people's actions because people act on their own free will

1|0
    0|0
    • actually it nowhere says that satan is a fallen angel, that's just medieval fan-fiction.
      and i would argue that the serpent in the garden is the true advocate of freewill since god wanted them as mindless pets and the snake encouraged them to eat from the tree of knowledge of good AND evil.

• Show All
    • @AEther let me double check. i used an online version of the bible since i'm at work... yeah when i went back and checked the chapter versus i got "“‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’" i'll try and find that specific verse

• can't find it on the net... or at least where that quoted verse i mentioned comes from. so i'll cede that it's probably not accurate... i'll keep looking though

• Because we NEED a scapegoat.

spam.blog.com/.../..._more_people_in_the_bible.png

Anyhow, I never believed in the existence of gods or devils

0|0
    0|0
    • yup, he did like to genocide.. and then when you bring in the eternal damnation! god is WAY more evil than hitler, hitler only killed people.

• @AEther morally, Nazi ideology did more than mere killing them: it made murder acceptable to a whole previously civilized large western country:
      www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/09/bsp/hitler.html
      www.spiegel.de/.../...f-war-killings-a-739518.html
      250,000 camp rescapees killed by civilians and paramilitary art a moment the party chiefs were already looking for a place to hide and were no longer a menace.

• no no, i know, i wasn't trying to under state the horrors of the nazi reign. i trying to be ironically flippant of the one of the most evil atrocities there has been to say that if there's a god, he's EVEN worse..

• There are different theories about it.

- Satan stepped down from his rank on his own to be the tempter to give people the chance to show and develop their true nature (without bad there can't be good). Some who think about that theory also think Satan (originally by the angels name Lucifer = Lightbringer) can't go back up on his own anymore as he has lost himself.
    - Satan nor Hell do not exist, but are just meant to give a basic understanding of something that is too much to grasp for the human mind. The burning hell rather stems from the "cleansing" the soul goes through after death from all the way it has been corrupted. Aka the "burning" is for all the bad things you have done - usually to others - and it burns because you are getting cleaned from it.

There are some more theories. Anyway, dunno if is any is right or wrong since I am agnostic myself. Just putting it out here.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is like asking "why did Harry think Snape was a bad guy?"

It's fiction. The authors wanted to come up with a story. I doubt they really thought anyone would take it seriously, but hey.. that's life.

0|0
    0|0
  • ha ha, YES! in the book of job satan (which i think translates to something like "accuser") works for god in his court (like a royal court) as an advisor, to play "devils advocate", pretty damned ironic.
    surely the fact that he needs moral advisors suggest moral fallibility?

and the only other use of the name that i can think of ATM is jesus being TESTED in the desert, which to me seems like the same deal.

and then you've got all the other stuff like the snake or 'lucifer' that actually have no reason to be attributed to the same character, the snake was an actual snake, that's why snakes were cursed to crawl on their belles..

ah, it's fun to rant about religion.

0|0
    0|0
    • but even when you bring in all the other characters that get attributed to "the devil", apart from the stuff he does while working for god, he actually doesn't do anything wrong.. not a thing! while god is busy tormenting and bullying people between genocides

• Yep. Notice, not... a... single... christian... responded haha. They are usually way more vocal than this, ugh I can't stand them.

• Ha, yeah it's interesting, i recently did a poll to see the ratio and they really out number atheists, yet none of them are here.. I find it so frustrating that they never explain their logic or follow though with an argument without just ending in meaningless platitudes.

• Thats the great hypocrisy of all the abrahamic religions. It seems God is the greatest evil of all. He banished Satan to hell for eternity and uses him to punish sinners. So God has done and is doing harm.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not good versus evil like both are a lifestyle choice. Evil is the absence of good. Dark where there's no light. Satan's is just a personification for the acts that lead to sin. You either have a good purpose or you're rubbish, good for nothing but to cast aside and trampled on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Note that I am not exactly an Islamic scholar and could be wrong and this is the kind of question you should ask someone who studied in detail and in context the Bible or Torah or Quran or whatever version of Satan and God you believe in.
    Everything beyond this is just on my limited knowledge.
    In Islam Satan/Iblis refused to obey Allah and bow before Adam Alaih Salam. He was given free raign to tell people to disobey Allah and see who follows him into hell and who obeys Allah.
    And yes not everything is to be blamed on Satan in Islam. In Ramadan, Satan is said to be locked up and people still do bad things.
    The closest interpretation of the Islamic version of Satan you can see on TV would be Ray Wise in Reaper when you see him enticing people to do bad things.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Using logic, If god is an all-powerful all-knowing god, doesn't Satan need his permission to do anything in all of what he does?"

Yes. Hence Job.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because the Bible was written by people who didn't have particularly great intelligence and neither did they bother to read the few previous passages before scribbling in their own.

0|0
    0|0
  • From theists you expect common sense?

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on your religion and belief system.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's pretty clear the idea of a single all-powerful God developed slowly in Judaism. They were originally polytheists and a lot of their traditions of though continue from that time.

Compare. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no other Gods before me.
    To. There is no God but God (Allah).

The first tacitly acknowledges the reality of other gods.

The idea of an all-powerful God is generally presented as a great advance over 'primitive' polytheism but actually has a lot of conceptual problems.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, there is definate suggestion if other gods, and perhaps of a pantheon, he talks of him self as a plural a lot, and much of it doesn't seem to just be a 'royal "we"' .
      i think the beginings of monotheism actualy came from the zoroastrians. But yes, philosophically, a monotheism with a benevolent loveing, goodguy god simply cannot be, there is no working model. I've spent months trying, just neutral, or chaotic, a farmer raising livestock or a child with playthings, or a sedistic evil beyond compare.. Easily workable in a strange abstact way, but good? Nope, not possable on any level. Let alone all the insane dogma on top of that.. I don't get how people can just accept it...

agh! It annoys me so much...

• Perhaps Satan is the Christian God's Tyler Durden? I mean if you accept the trinity, one more personality doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 1