Do you thin the question "How do you know that supernatural things don't exist?" is a nonsensical question?

In order to "know" something it has to be emperically measureable and the supernatural by definition cannot be measured so you can't "know" anyrhing about it so the question makes no sense.

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. How do you know invisible, intangible little fairies aren't flying around? There's no way to know. You can't see them, you can't hear them, you can't smell them, you can't touch them, they make no physical mark - why would anyone even think they exist in the first place? That's the better question.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree that to prove a theory is correct you should be able to measure and compare the attributes to other similar things but I think they may have interned to question those who say supernatural things do not exist.. I think..

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah just like no one can be 100% sure of religion, god (s), heaven and hell, athiesm; the Big Bang, etc but yet everyone insist.

Sure there's evidence leading towards each one but unless you were there, its to happen again, or you actually dead in which it will no longer matter there's no way to prove it completely... Much like "supernatural" things you either choose to believe or you don't it's as simple as that.

• Any statement that cannot be verified as true or false is meaningless.

What Guys Said 4

• How do you know that an invisible person is not watching you from a distance?

• Nobody knows one way or the other. I view that similar as I view God. The created cannot understand the creator. If we totally understood God, that would mean he couldn't exist. Because we cannot understand Him or know if He exists for certain is evidence but not proof He exists. It's a profound idea.

• That's a retarded question, they're making the claims and the burden of proof is on them and you can just say how do you know it does exist which of course they will repeat your listed question like idiots. How do you know that an invisible whale isn't hovering above your heard? sounds about as plausible.

• Get an introduction to philosophy book. Your definition of knowledge is one among many. all of which make about the same amount of sense.

Turn to the chapter on epistemology.