Should I feed a stray cat in my back yard or not?

Hello I have a Stray cat and it has kittens. My family told me not to feed it but I did it anyway because I didn't want the cat to go hungry and for it to die on the property. What is the right thing to do and are they right for me not to feed the cat?

Most Helpful Guy

• Feeding a stray cat is basically a commitment to take care of that. And if it becomes a commitment, you should consider spaying the mom cat if there are any low cost clinics around (you can sometimes borrow box traps). If you can catch the kittens when they're weaned, they are fairly easy to adopt out by yourself or through a rescue organization. There are options but all of these take effort and responsibility.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would still feed them regardless of what my parents said. I think that's cruel that they would say that and I would let them know. Anyways feed them and call the humane society so they can have a chance at being fostered out and having a life.

What Guys Said 14

• I found a cat with three kittens too in my back yard
    s11.postimg.org/.../2015_11_26_1448517521.jpg
    I feed them every day. It is good to take care of needy one. But the difference is that my parents were happy feeding them. They're kind. Keep in mind that
    -They'll come back time and again for more food. If you can't pay enough for their food, make a limit (like I did).
    -I don't think you can go against your parents for so long. (They'll shit too).
    -You'd take help from animal welfare societies. They'll adopt them.

Good Luck :)

• Feed it. Cats are mostly harmless, and having them around isn't bad.
    however, places like the SPCA will usually come and pick up stray cats, especially kittens and moms who just gave birth. That way the kittens get adopted out.

• You are 29 and living with your parents. Their house, their rules.

• You're probably better off taking him/her to a no-kill shelter. Let the kitten get socialized, and then it can get adopted out. :)

• you fed a stray cat? well you now have a cat and some kittens gl

• I had a cat who visits our back garden. Dad said not to feed it but I fed the cat anyway because that's what I thought was right. The drawback was it came back for more food more and more often lelel.

• I would adopt the cat and her babies, then have all of them desexed, after the mother has stopped breast feeding the kittens.

• We fed a stray cat who was mostly blind and had a wound on his back that wouldn't heal. It took over six months, but he now lets us pet him and sits in our laps.

• Just leave it

• Well, u see, if u feed it, it becomes dependent on u

• I don't what if there's any law in your country but here in India we love to feed stray dog and cats and animals.

• smh. Cats keep away the rats and other vermite

• The right thing to do is to kill the stray cat and her kittens.

But that's just me.

• Can you sell kittens where you live

What Girls Said 15

• Awwww! I think you should call the humane society and get them to come rescue the cat and her kittens. They'll get adopted no problem :)

• an act of kindness is never wrong ! turn the stray in to your cat it obviously need you or she would not be there.

• Yes!!! Feeding them was the absolute right thing to do!! If I saw a hungry animal outside my house, I would not be able to sleep until I knew they were fed.

• The only issue when feeding stray cats is that they're likely to come back again.. And again and again. Places that can rescue cats and find them safe homes are the way to go, unless you want to have pets

• Firstly, I love animals and if I find strays, I save them and find them homes.
    If this cat can't feed her babies then yes, you should help them, feed them etc. But I would recommend taking them to a good animal shelter because as time goes by they will start relying on you and if your family is not okay with it then, you know, where are you gonna keep the cat and her kittens? Maybe try to find them a good home?
    If the cat can go out and find food for herself and her kittens then you shouldn't be feeding her.

I hope this was helpful :)

• Actually, If I were you, I would be confused about what must I supposed to do too.
    It's right to do actually, because if we were born to be stray cats of course we will be sad if nobody give us nothing. But my mother told me, if we give a stray cat food once, it will come back to us and need more and more food, maybe that's the reason why your family forbids you.
    But that cats are soooo pity. So, maybe, you can discuss it with your family, and give that stray cats food, but not too often.

• Take them all to a shelter so they can find homes

• Oh I would definitely be feeding them! Haha knowing me, I'd probably try to put a box out there with a blanket and bowl of food for them, but that's just me being crazy. You should call the local animal shelter and see if they can pick them up or else bring them there yourself. Good for you for caring for them though! 😊

• Feeding them will make them dependent and make them think you'll keep feeding them whenever they show up for food. If your parents asked you not to, I wouldn't do it. You could put up signs around the neighborhood about the missing cat.

• I would feed it and then phone animal control or the rspca or cat rescue to come and take her and her kittens away. I'm a big softy when it comes to animals I'm afraid.

• I live in an apt building and we had 5 kittens and the mother was with them, I even bought them food. but they hid a lot, and now they're gone. but feed them if you want, later they won't depend on you anyway they'll hunt for food.

• Please feed them😿

• in that case call for help 👍🏼

• DO IT. JUST DO IT.

• Well if u feed a stray cat it won't go away will it >_>