What would be your path untaken?

If you weren't the person you were today and if you had made different choices, in crucial moments of your life, where do you think you would be?

Maybe I'd be playing in an orchestra or studying to be a violin teacher.
Or who knows? Maybe I'd be a lawyer. Or even an economist. Engineer?

Haha. I feel like the possibilities are endless, since I have always felt passionate about everything and only ever chose medicine because it was the most obvious choice and I had the grades. I am not saying that I don't want it, but I haven't felt like I belong in the skin of a future doctor yet.

Hmm I'd probably be a violin player if I hadn't chosen medicine. That's the most likely option for me.

I have had a few rough years lately, but I think I wouldn't have changed it, since good things also happened to me during those times and I don't think I would have come across some very important people in my life right now, if I hadn't suffered like I did. Twisted, right?

What about you?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not sure about any particular 1 path untaken. I've had multiple branching options at different growing, crucial moments. To me they're the "what if's" of reflective pondering. It might be nostalgic to think about them, but I also realize it's not useful or helpful to pine over them.
    So, I might suggest the correction to your question to be "paths, not path", since there can be more than one crucial moment and that other choice leading to other crucial moments.
    For life and those moments, I half envision a tree with the larger branches and then the smaller braches; yet, this tree has no discernible top and end to it but continues to grow and mature - albeit you're you growing, bettering yourself but still you.
    Even though some options may seem to be "now or never", it doesn't mean you can't do it now or in the future. I know people who finished a degree only to go back to school and pursue something else entirely; they found the passion for the new pursuit.
    My sister, after finishing college with an English degree, pursued a medical career.
    I know of other people going back to school in their 60s to start another job / career.

Suppose I could have been a musician also instead of engineering. Or law enforcement, maybe?

Most Helpful Girl

• I seriously considered being a psychologist when I graduated high school but I ended up picking dental hygiene. It's terrifying knowing that if I made just a few different decisions I wouldn't be who I am today. Even if I chose to be friends with different people, I would be different. I chose to be friends with the right people. They are all really caring and if I had chose to be friends with different people, I wouldn't know what true friendship is like.

What Guys Said 12

• lol I've been having a few rough years since half a decade is an understatement :D

Well when at a much younger age (when in my teens) I'd have thought about this 'untaken path' but guess what had to happen has happened and whoever makes it happen has done so for a reason. End of the day to 'normal' humans it's your/my own doing so there :D

What is has to be tread on and dealt with so no qualms about the untaken path :)

Ah suffering? Matter of perception ;) :D :) I can start from the day I was born ha ha ha But end of the day it makes me today what I am - no matter what there's a choice and free will :D

• No such thing. I don't believe in free will. I'm just a collection of experiences which update my genetic predispositions to certain actions. My path was dictated by my parents shitty parenting and the area I grew up.

• I agree. Everything takes place unconsciously. I'm surprised people thing they had a big hand in the path they ended up on :D

• Yeah, its when times get hard and everything becomes hopeless do you find the people who truly matter to you, ironic, right?
    If my life had went any other way, I'd be a soldier, definitely a soldier. I'm an engineer now, but I need something more than this. I need a purpose not an occupation.

• I could have been a pianist or percussionist, or I could have been a history/civics teacher. Or a psychologist. Or a cabinetmaker/furniture maker.

• What did you really end up doing?

• I am always available if you want to message and get another perspective on matters.

• Thank you

I may take you up on that offer sometime

• I think if I had gone to university to study tourism sooner than I did I would be further ahead with my life than I am now.

• Well, at least you are sure you would have done tourism. That's a good thing :)

• of course

which question is it?

• Yeah that thought scares me a little ebcause I know were I'd be at if certain choices weren't made or another one had been chosen instead and one of those paths would have had me dead and buried, literally.

So I am very happy I made the choices I have in life and am very happy with who I am as a person I couldn't see myself any other way except what I am now.

• some times thing happen in your life that when you look back there was no good choices. because of cause and effect. for example i didn't have the best childhood so to avoid it i got a job so i wouldn't spend as much time at hope. but doing so , my school work suffered. if i didn't work then i would have suffered more at home and that would have made me a bitter person. so there is no clear cut branch in the road that would have been positive. i just except my self and the person i have become

• My path untaken would have been to join the military to learn to become a pilot, and then becoming a commercial pilot.

Or... having not moved overseas, and stayed in Canada.

Life has still worked out, mostly, but in a totally different way.

• Well I'd be in the Air Force right about now had I not rushed the process screwing myself over. So with that a lot of things would be different for me after high school.

• Hmm I see

What happened?

• oh ok

wish you luck then

• Thank you!! 😊

• I'd have never come to this place.
    That's all I know.

To that end I'd be stellar. Likely wealthier and far more active.

• i would be a lot happier and have a successful life, i would be studying and moving on with my life having lots of friends, man my life would be like heaven, but instead im miserable because of dyslexia and have a fucked up life with no friends.

• Oh...

But maybe that's not something you could have done much about?

• Yep

I really know how that feels

Like so many things have gone wrong so far, that you dont even know if you can achieve something good again.

It's hard to keep hope

• exactly. your life experience keep making you realize that you can't achieve anything good again and its not worth it, sometimes you get tired of hope, but you gotta carry on somehow and hold on to it.

• Marine Corps aviator.

• What do you actually do?

• I went through Marine Corps Officer Candidate School but decided not to become commissioned because of a moral objection to dropping bombs on people I had no argument with. (Think Serbia). But in doing so I turned away from what might otherwise have been a very rewarding career.

What Girls Said 5

• probably an athletic!

• That thought scares me actually. I know id be much worse.

• I think it all changed for me when i did a summer internship at an investment firm which turned into a job/career. If not for that I think I'd either still be in school or an artist or architect.

• I would be a billion times worse off if I did things differently.

I wouldn't want to change anything that I've done, for they have lead me to finding my boyfriend.

• History or lit for me maybe. I briefly imagined going for conservation science but eh.

• what do you do now?

• Only about 8 or 9. It was originally for school orchestra then my friends and I made a little group and started to play free gigs at coffee shops and events. Its a good companion to studying. I hope you can get some time to play it some more.

• Thanks :)

I hope so. I really miss it