Explain to me how glass expands?

First off, my eyes are really blurry for some reason so if there are any grammatical or spelling errors, go ahead and blame it on that. No, I don't need glasses.

So, what feels like a thousand years ago (was in reality maybe eight or more ago) we had this disk that we played everytime we used the little car, it had six song on it, the best songs ever, and one day we were at the park, had gone to a market earlier that day and bought some honey.

It was over 30 degrees that day and the honey was left in the glovebox, sitting on top of that beautiful CD because my parents are idiots who don't appreciate a good CD.

When we got back to the car, I opened the glovebox to put the CD in the player because, I was not about to listen to the Michael Jackson drivvle (Was not a fan back then).

What I found, instead of a perfectly preserved CD of ear love, I found a sticky, yellow mess.

What had happened is in the heat the glass jar the honey was in had expanded or something and the honey got out? I don't understand how though. And yes, eight or so years later this still bugs me.

So if the logistics of this terrible destruction of CDs could be explained to me, that would be marvelous.

Explain to me how glass expands?

As in 30+ degrees Celsius.

What Guys Said 2

• the rate at which glass expands is called the coefficient of expansion. basically, when heated, the molecules start moving faster and shit because they have more genetic energy and their bonds loosen up and shit. for a more practical example, think of ice and water. the colder it gets, it becomes a solid. it just so happens that water has a melting point of 32 degrees.

• This wouldn't be an expansion of glass, it would be a poor seal on the honey. The heat would cause the seal to break, the honey to drip down the sides of the jar, and your gooey mess. If the jar itself had expanded honey wouldn't have leaked out until either the glass deformed to the point where it couldn't contain the honey or it burst.

Anyway, pressure build-up would cause expansion in most things, possible alongside kinetic excitement.

www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae40.cfm

• That makes all the sense in the world and I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Thanks.

What Girls Said 1

• Most things expand when they're hot.

the kinetic energy of that material increases and it's atoms and molecules move about more. This means that each atom will take up more space due to it's movement so the material will expand.