What do you think happens to the souls of suicides?

Me, I think that they are finally, happy, loved, and in no pain.

I mean why on earth would a benevolent god make someone who is in a living hell suffer
This question is rather personal and more responses would be appreciated
update

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I got yelled at by an attention seeker once when she called me and threatened to kill herself. I said "You're pulling that shit on the wrong cowboy sister, I've been there, and I believe in suicide." "What?" "If you're you've lived this long and haven't found one good thing to live for, then maybe its time to move to the next life". She then yelled at me for not caring. She's still alive and crazy.

To answer your question, I believe what you do. That their suffering is finally over, and are in a place of great happiness and warmth.

• You're making suicide seem like this holy solution when its a huge problem let alone f*cked up

• @XOXOME16
      When you've suffered 26 years of acute, cold, soul twisting depression, then you can criticize my opinion. More over, the asker clearly has experienced someone close that took their own life, and now you're here trying to upset him again? What the hell kind of person are you? Let the man have a little peace of mind for his lost one.

• An honest person that doesn't bullshit just to spare someone's feelings. Thats weak.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 47

• They suffer the worst penalty imaginable. The worst punishment in the world.

Namely:
    All the people who love them, gather together to celebrate them... and the penalty is, they fuckin' die, RIGHT before they can enjoy all that celebration of love.

So... yeah, you might be right about the "loved" part. Loved by all those people they leave behind.

--

If you (or anyone else reading this) is/are thinking about doing this -- don't you fucking dare. Don't. Don't do it.
    Don't even think about it.
    Don't even think about thinking about it. I swear, I will send people to haunt yr ass.

I mean, I don't even *know* you, and I believe in you. Go out there and live.

• Yeah however depression makes it hard to feel anything at all and when emotions do come its either despair or anger

• Thank you for the advice. It helped me. Out of curiosity, what is the proper way to raise a daughter so that she does not turn out rotten? It is hard to be firm because little girls are just so cute, so I can imagine myself spoiling her.

• @JRICHARDS1996 The same way you'd raise a son.

• I personally believe the soul just goes to rest forever like any other person who's died. No reincarnation no meeting someone in heaven or hell. Honestly can't take that shit seriously.

The world is a shitty place and I honestly wouldn't really want to bring children into this world because of it, so selfish in my opinion.

I have been suicidal in the past so I can say it can get better, but at times at my lows I do occasionally just not want to live but it's not as bad as it used to be. It's hard to get past my depression as well because it is genetic so I am much more prone.
    Only reason I'm really living is because of my friends and family to be honest so yeah.

Anyway a lot of people are narrow minded about depression and suicide. The problem is more with the brain chemistry, lack of neurotransmitters that has a huge effect on our moods any thinking. Meds can help but can also at times make things worse. But I don't think there's an actual cure and words like "just pick yourself up and look at the bright side of things" is not going to work.

Anyhow if you are getting suicidal thoughts you have to keep yourself occupied with things so you don't have time to think about suicide. Basically how i got through it.

• There will be a day with no more suffering, no more tears, no more hurt and no more rejection. For some people I think that day is the day that they cross over; the day that their lives end here and begin again somewhere new. Some people are just handed a cup that is overflowing with more sorrow and burden than they can bear--and it needs to be poured out. I think they go to heaven and into the loving arms of a Father who knows how to heal them, or maybe they become angels who help others that are suffering. Maybe they even get reincarnated as someone or something else. Not sure really. But at least they are at peace.

• Nothing. Like everyone else. Nothing happens. They simply cease to exist and leave behind tormented friends and family who will suffer with the psychological consequences of their actions for the rest of their lives.

It's hardly a beautiful thing.

• I think they drown in sorrow bc suicide never cured their depression. It just made it easier to deal with being that they're dead and clueless of what life could've been. They go to the place of unfinished business and try to be happy in order to move on. Then they realize they could've done that like a senseful person would instead of killing themselves. They think about how they could've been alive and happy and they grow weaker falling back into depression until they realize its too late to turn back. Or they don't realize it at all and end up hating themselves more than they did when they were alive. Thats just my opinion.

• What do you mean place of unfinished business?

• Meaning they cut their life short bc they were sad so they go to a place to learn a lesson or to finish what was started in their life.

• Like the step before "hell" or "heaven" in a spiritual sense.

• I don't believe in souls or an afterlife. I believe there is nothing after you die. If there was, wouldn't someone have legitimately come back and proven it to us by now? Like what Houdini was trying to prove/disprove. Anyway... I suffer with severe clinical depression so I've been at the edge of this for most of my life. I really really hope there is just nothing after this. The worst thing would be to live with this punishment my entire life to then die and be punished all over again. What did I do to deserve that?

• I've attempted suicide twice,
      I've from severe depression as well all my life.
      I think that after that suicides finally get the peace they seek

• Maybe this is just wishful thinking of mine considering Its been bad enough that I'm pretty sure my eventual fate is to die by my own hand.

• Anyway Good luck to you

• I don't know what happens to normal people they stop breathing. And than numb nothing!

• I believe in reincarnation for myself but I believe that whatever someones belief is (Jew, Chrisitan, Islam etc) is what happens to them.
    I think if someone commits suicide though, they'll be reincarnated as a predator to make up for the fact they felt the need to KTS

• I don't believe in souls so nothing. But I do believe that people who commit suicide are seeking peace.

• Reading through some of your responses, it seems like you're looking for a specific answer. And I'm afraid that I can't give it to you. I believe in God so that should tell you enough. I will say that if you or someone that you know are having those thoughts, it's not worth it. Pain is temporary. Suicide is final. Every time you open your eyes to a new day, it's another chance to fight. No matter how bad you wanna give up. You have to fight.

• they go to hell XD

I don't know man, that's the mystery of life.. what happens after death

and dude, don't kill yourself

• I don't believe in souls or the after life, but I think those people take away their chance on happiness. I believe you only have one life. Nothing after. Sometimes shit just happens and the only one responsible for your own happiness is yourself. Not some God and so you can be happy again, but you have to do it yourself. If a person can fall into sadness so fast, it can fall into happiness that fast back again.

• They come back again playing the same situation again until they face the music. Think of it as ground hog day...

• My church taught "they go to hell, unless they had a mental issue that made them incapable of making a sound decision" so I believe most of them go to Heaven and are happy and loved and in no pain, because someone with a completely sound mind and nothing clouding their judgment does not go and off themselves.

• I think they burn in hell for all eternity. Fire and gnashing of the teeth. Cuz God

• They finally get peace...

• I think it depends on what kind of person they were when they were alive

• I'm a believe in God and still believe 100% they will not be punished for not being able to handle the weight of the world. I hope they can finally find peace

• Lol just go and watch The Forest already 😝

• What does a survival horror game have to do with this?

• Yeah I just looked it up
      Its about the Suicide Forest

• they're gone, according to most religions they having a party with satan in hell. even those suicide bombers are going to hell according to their religion..
    personally, i don't think hell exists so where ever they are, we're going too :)

• I think they go to hell and end up with more suffering than if they'd just stick it out.

• I've got severe depression,
      So let me get this straight, I suffer greatly in this life when medication and therapy stops working, Thinking its the only way out I take my own life.
      I wake up in hell and suffer even more.
      What would I have done to deserve this?

• But he lets this happen,
      He lets people with mental illness suffer horribly from what nature does to them.'
      That's why I think he views the mentally ill as his most vulnerable children because we are

• He lets things happen because life isn't the sims. He doesn't take full control over everything we experience otherwise that wouldn't be life. He offers ways out of things through him, we're supposed to put them in his hands not take them into our own.

• At the risk of sounding totally insane, I was told by a warlock and a psychic that ALL spirits go to one of eight dimensions.

I do believe this.

• They just stop existing.

• I don't know what happens after they die, sorry if you were expecting a more elaborate answer but that's the best I got :(

• the same as all of the other non existent souls

• i wouldn't end my life with the -hope- that things would get better. too much of a risk. fight for your life.

• I have no idea.

• i don't think so.. but then again i don't know

• I'm not really sure. But I really hope that they are in a happy and good place after all the shit they went through.
    I like this question but I honestly have no idea for a answer

• I don't know what happens after anyone dies. I don't have a set belief and I don't care to. I'd rather have it be a mystery & when I die I guess I'll see then (or maybe I won't because maybe nothing happens) I personally don't think people should worry about what comes AFTER life, live in your present life where you know you're alive. Not in the possible afterlife.

• More from Girls
    17

3 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 66

• If you go by the typical generic Christian view (specifically Catholic), the souls of suicides break a mortal sin, aka the "You shall not murder," and go to hell. The murder is that of themselves. For a mortal sin to occur according to Catholicism, it must be a grave/serious matter (murder) and the person must be in full awareness of what they are doing (and a person taking their life would be in full awareness).

The real technical Christian view that is no one really knows for sure. One cannot determine who goes to Heaven or Hell. Likewise, no one knows if there will be a ton of people in hell, vs a ton of people in heaven. However, the teachings of religions far and wide all essentially say suicide results in punishment, often eternal, and should not be done. I tend to fall in this group: suicide is a horrible thing to do the soul.

From a personal standpoint, I would say suicide is a bad way to go. Often times it seems like an easy way out, and saying suicidal souls are happy/loved/feel no pain is almost like a justification in a sense for the action. The fact we feel it is wrong to do in our hearts is almost like an indication that it shouldn't be done.
    Not to mention you leave behind all the loved ones who really wanted you to pull through and such. Words that stuck with me before: "There is always someone to cry at a funeral."

And yeah-- a benevolent god does not want someone in a living hell to suffer. Instead, he wants them to seek help through any resources they can find and to weather through the storm of suicidal thoughts. Counseling. Friends. Suicide hotlines. Medication. There are plenty of options in front of us to help reach out.

The easy way out is not always the best way out. We never know the future in front of us. Life may seem miserable and bleak now, but 5 years from now it may the highlight of our lives. We simply don't know. A benevolent god doesn't want us to commit suicide because he wants us to experience the joy we'll find later.
    For instance, I had a depressive phase I went through roughly a year or a year and a half ago. During that time, I thought there was no hope. I was, in my words "screwed and in a rut." However, now I am not depressed and I am fine. I made it out, contradictory to my original thought. My depressed mind clouded my judgement and lead me astray.

The thought of suicide may seem appealing to some, but it is never the right way to go. It's life's worst trap.

• Yeah, there is that strange paradox about how when they say that Christ died for our sins, and then say how you can go to hell if you're naughty. They make it sound like:

"Everybody gets to go to heaven!! Your sins are all paid for!! God will always forgive you!! Accept God's gracious gift!!"

And then someone goes and shoots up a school or something and everyone says that he/she will burn in Hell forever... even though God forgave your sins!

• I tend to treat the Ten Commandments as a list of values to live by, like do not kill, do not envy others, etc.

But theoretically, if you were to break a commandment, you would be forgiven for it anyway, am I right?

• @CorporalClegg By Catholicism, you'd be forgiven if you went to confession or annointing of the sick or baptism. Confession often includes the act of repentance (like the 3 hail marys and 2 our fathers they like to make you do.) In cases of mortal sin, the repentance may include turning yourself in to the police and such.

SO TECHNICALLY... You could have confession right before you die and you basically got an automatic heaven ticket 👍

By most other Christian religions, I think you'd be forgiven if you did an internal confession. Like a repentance to God.

This also goes into the whole purgatory concept with Catholicism, venial sins, and mortal sins, which is another beast of its own xD

• I like to think of suicide as a rational choice for some, I mean, society leaves a large part of its people with no value to their lives, so I truly think if they wanna cut the shit and stop delaying the inevitable then that's a wise choice and I envy their determination to go through with it.

I think after it happens, it's just nothingness so incomprehensible that were not even aware of it, but I like to think that's quite pleasant in an insidious way. Yeah we're gone forever and won't even experience it, but I think experiencing that nothingness, and not even knowing you are, is better then sticking around in this bullshit life.

• I think it depends on why the person committed suicide. Hitler committed suicide, and I'm pretty certain his butt is in hell, but what about those poor individual's that took their life from the pain of mental depression, or disease? Well, I believe they're going where they were intended on whether or not they committed suicide to some degree.
    I'm a Christian, and believe God shows mercy to those who are in absolute despair due to an extreme situation or mental disorder. If an individual commits suicide after battling bi-polarism for 4-5 years. I believe God will grant them mercy and will let them into heaven or an alternative beyond pain and suffering. Those who committed suicide to prevent further torturing such as a POW. Then I believe the same applies for them as well.

• I think they get well taken care off, at least for a while. The trauma of life can be pretty damn tough, but I wouldn't be suprised if they had to "try again" in a way, when ready. So many theories about it all. Like that afterlife is timeless, so eternity is no time at all, and of course we have aligned dimensions, like everything is alternative realities, all happening at once, future, past, present, terms in itself that becomes meaningless. Endless possibilities or various versions of heaven. Reincarnation and so on.

In either case, I certainly dont believe they go to hell or anything, cause jeez. Thats pure evil, of course maybe satan worshippers and stuff like that may believe it, although satan was never actually bad. I regardless like to think that if there is a god, he isent pure evil at least. Cause kicking people who are down is just something shitty people do.

• The 'soul' (personality and feelings, intelligence) dies with the body. Death is the end, the feeding of maggots.

• In my point of view, there are no souls, no afterlife. They kill themselves, they're dead. Whatever they had, whatever they felt is gone forever but they're not aware about it. Everything is over, it's quiet, suffering stopped alongside everything else in their lives.

• Wouldn't that be great, if it were true? But then if we knew it was bliss, after killing ourselves, why wouldn't just about everyone have done it, to feel the bliss?
    I think that the suicides get 'recycleced' and live another life, with similar situations, as there is some 'soul lesson' that each life teaches!! It is only through the adverse times, pain, and troubles, that our immortal soul can grow, and move on to higher levels of enlightenment.
    How would we survive, as a species, if everyone who had a hard life (just about everyone, from their own perspective) just killed themselves to go to a 'better place'.
    Sorry, I don't think they get an 'easy out'. I think that they just have to start over, again, until they learn that 'life lesson' that the painful life teaches the soul.

• There is a difference between a hard life and suffering from a mental illness though

• It's the ultimate pit of hopelessness.

• Why?
      Why in the hell would god do that to someone who is just trying to escape from what feels like a living hell

• So its selfish to not want to suffer

• I just agreed with you so stop arguing.

• We are moving into so many realms here - Religious/social/moral - It is my belief there is no afterlife but those that believe it is okay with me, in a way I agree with you that if they were suffering, they have moved on and maybe now the ones they have left behind can say at least they are at peace.
    Okay that said suicide is the absolute last resort, has everything been being checked out and there is no other option, have those left behind be able to recover and accept it, if answers are yes to these questions then first paragraph holds.
    My point is I neither condone or condemn suicide, it saddens me that people feel they have reached this decision. I think my answer is coloured by my view that in death you live on in the people who remember you rather than some metaphysical concept of a type of heaven/hell or limbo (just using catholic terms because I am a lapsed catholic).
    So my reflections would be based on those left behind. This said I am talking about post suicide, before any suicide is a whole different topic and too wide an issue to fit in here so I kept it to post suicide as it is closest to intent of question.

• I think it's a shame how people call those who take thier own lives selfish. Yes they are weak but is weakness your fault? Is it not true that people are not born equal? Life is hard and for some people life is hell.

To call someone selfish for ending their own life is to imply that they were never really in control of their destiny but are rather a tool and that they should continue to live out their painful life just for other peoples benefit.

The concept of a loving God is ridiculous in my opinion I like to think of God like a scientist conducting an experiment. "Today I'm going to test this man, I'm going to make him suffer just to see what happens."

I hoped you found my veiws interesting

• They become happy with unlimited supply of pussy, rainbows, and Zoloft lol

• omg that's so evil. unlimited pussy + zoloft?

that's like unlimited iphone data + SUPER BRIGHT sunshine that basically prevents you from seeing the screen.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18173768/

if you didn't know... now you know.
      SSRI's are fucking evil, dude. if you know any boys with depression, you should do what you can to get them to try other drugs (e. g. Wellbutrin/bupropion) instead. and to go doctor-shopping accordingly.

girls too, but, the issue is more pressing for boys because the evidence shows that SSRI's may make them (at least partially) impotent INDEFINITELY.

• @Agrojag oh, yah but my point is that I've literally never "acquired" ANY tastes. I like exactly the same things I liked when I was 6.

I mean, I was actually a 6-year-old who liked things like marinated artichokes and capers and kimchi and other foods that are supposed to be "acquired", so, at least I had that going for me. (For my 6th birthday I got to choose 6 toppings for a pizza, and I chose green olives, green olives, green olives, green olives, green olives, and green olives.)

but, yeah, this whole notion of acquiring tastes is just kinda foreign to me.

• @redeyemindtricks interesting. I've changed so much. I was a kid who only liked bland food and nothing very adventurous but now I have a really diverse palette.

• I dont know, I was talking to a spiritual person recently who is "in tune" with that type of wavelength, or so he says and he said that dying would be like a feeling of going home. And that we are reborn again to learn the lessons we haven't in this one until we get it right.
    Either way if you are feeling suicidal you need help.

• I think souls don't exist, so death is the same regardless of how it happens.

• I don't believe in religious values however to commit suicide and leave this plane of existence is to find peace.

• What happens is this, they wake up to the pain of the suicide, most people think they are running from pain by committing suicide, but they awake to more intense pains. The healing process starts when they realize their mistakes, but the law of separation is so powerful in the beyond that one automatically finds himself in the place his activities are inclined to: so this is the hell heaven separation. And this is automatic. There is no escape in life, but keeping trying your best and free yourself.

• I think if a person kills themselves, they have a temporary or permanent psychological problem and I don't think a just or loving God would send them to hell.

• I wonder, what if the last thing you feel the moment before your death is what you feel for all of eternity? That would suck, especially if you died a traumatic death

Realistically, they probably just dont exist anymore. Like the way it was before you were born.

• I strongly believe in the Holy Trinity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I fully realize many do not. They cannot believe that which they don’t understand nor may care to understand. This is their choice.

God IS the Creator of all things. I can easily prove this. I ask you, hold out the hand of your choosing., palm up, as if cupping something. Your hand is empty, is it not? Now with that ‘nothing’ in your hand, create a living, growing tree. Don’t plant a seed, or plant a sapling. Create that tree from nothing. Can you do it? No! Only God the creator can.

God is the creator of Life. It is only for Him to Give or take. This is why suicide is wrong.
    Just as murder is wrong. And Yes... There is a Huge difference between killing and murder.

• I think death is death regardless of the circumstances. I don't believe in souls.

• The same that happens to everyone else's.

• It really depends on wether or not one believes in an after-life or not. I kind of think that if they are dead, then they are... well, dead; they just are dead. I, personalky, do not really believe in the whole after-life thing.

If someone is suicidal, they just want life to stop. If that means that they get tortured forever in hell, they might think it's worth a shot, because who can really say what happens after death, right? It may not be the case.

• I think relief.. but regret later

• Could you explain a little more?

• Alright so

For example, imagine yourself getting bullied so much that you took your life. You can be like..."The voices.. The insults.. they finally stopped" -> Relief

But later you can be like..."That other living person... She fought, she won.. She seems to much happier, so much stronger... Her bullies left and she's enjoying her life... Later she finds someone who loves her for who she is... Why couldn't I have found that strength? -> Regret

• I actually have major depressive disorder.
      I've attempted suicide twice.
      Its not because I'm being bullied, its because I've got a chemical imbalance in my own brain.
      Sometimes I lose the ability to feel really anything for a week , sometimes I can only really feel despair, anger, or sadness, Being happy at all is a luxary for me. It happens so rarely.
      I think that the first thing that happens to people who take their own lives due to mental illness is that they essentially get healed.
      They might even have the opportunity to have some of the things they were denied.
      Some might fall in love, etc.
      I think its gods way of showing mercy to his most vulnerable children

• Probably doing a protest somewhere. I mean you aren't quite qualify for Heaven but Hell is populated with lawyers and red tape so you are stuck with a protest board somewhere.

Probably until you meet ghostbusters... I heard they took out the Holy Ghost.

• the human soul may not be something that actually exists. I tend to believe that when a human brain dies, so does any 'soul' it once possessed. So, in a way, suicide victims get the escape into the oblivion of Nirvana that they desire

• I don't know who knows.

• in no pain. that's about the only thing. Ecclesiastes 9:5
    5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten.

• I don't believe in souls so good look with the afterlife, m'dear

• I look at it from many ways. First, I believe in God, so it cannot be done. If you do then it creates a problem in the next life, what I do not know but I could see something like you are shown what your life woukd have been if you kept living and did things differently. If there is no God though, nothing matters.

If someone gets to that point where they seriously think about it I would think that there is a certain freedom that comes from it. You can literally do most anything now as you are free in a way. If work is a problem then leave, if family is a problem go elsewhere, if depression is an issue take meds and go do fun things and live like you never lived before.

Most people who have lived after attempted suicide regret ot shortly after they jumped from a bridge or whatever.

• We all go back in the cosmic pot.

• The people who commit suicide and don't survive, are dead. No souls to speak of.

• More from Guys
    36