Do you think cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal?

I hate hypocrisy so I think alcohol and cigarettes should be illegal as long as other harmful drugs are illegal. It's extremely hypocritical to make drugs like heroin and cocaine, and even marijuana illegal when cigarettes and alcohol are legal even though it's a known fact they can both cause addiction and many health problems which can lead to death and alcohol is a contributing factor in a significant percentage of crimes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Weed, yeah. Heroin, crack, meth, no.

I see the logic of the argument somewhat - but no matter how cheap the market gets, those drugs will run you dry. I don't necessarily want to subsidize addicts with gov funded dope, so I don't know that legalization would stop crime other than turf violence. But without jobs available, what are all the people in the trade gonna do? Some would say legal drug jobs, but you'd have to pay workers more than they make in the illegal trade to make this system work, and that would drive the price up again. Sp O can't make sense of legalizing those.

• Government wouldn't have to subsidize marijuana farmers. It actually works the other way around. The cannabis business in countries like the Netherlands is highly lucrative and by legally enforcing that all cannabis-farmers have to produce locally and adhere to strict production rules (no pesticides etc.) and by putting a tax on cannabis-products with THC such as joints in coffee shops, the government actually earns billions of Euros every year.

• Yeah, I totally support legal marijuana - both medicinal and recreational.

• My point is that it seems to be highly difficult for people to use heroin and meth in moderation.

Most Helpful Guy

• that is retard logic. weed should be legal, but i also take pleasure watching pot heads lose their shit over their precious weed not being legal. it's like the hulk, they go from being bums and shit to being full blown scientists and medical experts. it's amazing!

What Girls Said 10

• No.

Heroine, meth, cocaine etc are illegal and life-threatening yet people still use them.
    If Tobacco and alcohol were illegal it'd just mean more crimes, more people getting in trouble and more addictions because it would be such a taboo thing.
    people would do anything to get something theyre addicted to, if they're an alcoholic or a junkie or just a cigarette smoker

• Ciggarettes yes, alcohol no.

Simply because alcohol plays a huge role in Australian culture, and i need something to clear my mind now and then. I've still got two ciders at my mums place i need to drink. Even if they taste like green apples.

• Nope, heroin and other hard drugs have been shown to cause a fuck ton of harm. I do not agree with marijuana being illegal, but alcohol and cigs aren't as harmful as cocain and heroin, especially because you can overdose on coke and heroin much easier than alcohol or cigs, or even marijuana. I know the saying goes "you can overdose on anything, given the right dose" but some things are too easy to overdose on and should be illegal

• Alcoholism has also taken plenty of lives, ruined families, fucked people up. Concerning how much more common alcohol is, alcohol is much more harmful than any other type of drug.

• I have lost my uncle through lifelong alcoholism and I would definitely beg to differ. A recent study by researchers in the UK has concluded that alcohol is in fact more dangerous than heroin. There is a multitude of reasons why people wrongly believe heroin is much worse, one of which is that heroin consumers have to break the law, so they're usually viewed as criminals.
      alcoholrehab.com/.../

There are roughly 2.5 million deaths due to alcoholism (both short term and long term) worldwide every year. In comparison, there are an estimated number of 50,000-60,000 deaths due to heroin per year world wide (both numbers are from 2014).

Also, the myth that you can overdose on everything is not really true. The death rate of marijuana in all of recorded history is exactly: Zero. There is no single case ever reported where a person died of an overdose of pot.

• @BlueCoyote I actually did not know about the zero overdoses while on marijuanna statistic, but when I was referring to ODing, I just meant you could consume enough of it to kill yourself, even if that amount is much to high for anyone to ever overdose on it. Technically you can overdose on water (actually there have been several deaths from that)

• No they should not. People should have their own personal freedom. If you want to ban everything that is bad for people you should ban fast-food, guns (everywhere) and sweets, too. I don't know why anyone would want a completely controlled society like that.

I believe all drugs should be legal too, if you're stupid enough to become a junkie then that is your own choice. They should be offered help instead of punishment.

• No because people are crazy maniacs and would go to desperate lengths to get the stuff.

Plus with alcohol ban we already know how that plays out and it doesn't end well.

• Making something illegal won't stop people from doing it. It didn't stop Americans from drinking alcohol in bootlegger clubs in the 20s, it doesn't stop people from smoking marijuana or doing other recreational drugs, so why would it work now?

• I didn't say it would stop people from using it. I just said if you're going to classify drugs as illegal because they hurt and kill people then it should apply to cigarettes and alcohol too

• Then what's the point in making it illegal if it doesn't stop people from using it? In my opinion, we should be focusing less on making things illegal (which at the end of the day does nothing, and only serves to put potentially innocent people in prison), and instead focus on educating people about their dangers. Drug abuse should not be seen as a crime, but instead a health issue.

• The point of making it illegal is to keep the laws consistent and actually make a commitment to keeping harmful substances away from the public. I don't think it's okay to justify making some drugs illegal by saying they are harmful to the public then let cigarettes and alcohol be legal when they are more dangerous than many illegal drugs just because the government makes money by taxing them. Either all harmful drugs should be illegal or all of them should be legal.

• Yesthey should. Well, cigarettes at least. Alcohol is aight for like occasions and shit, but there should be stricter rules implemented in regards to it.

• I am all about freedom, personal choice and options.

• if that happened the government would be totally broke

• Cigarettes yes
    Alcohol no. A glass of wine every now and then is okay.
    Also America did outlaw alcohol and yet people still had it. So it's impossible to totally get rid of it. It's the American way

What Guys Said 15

• Cigarettes = the sooner they are illegal the better.
    Alcohol = No! But there should be harder laws around it.

• No, I firmly believe all drugs should be legal, without exception (or at least with only very small exceptions). There are good reasons to legalize all drugs.

• Well Alchohol shouldn't be illegl, cuz if you only drink like 1 or 2 beers you'll be fine, but Cigarettes should definitely be illegal, cuz of how adicting, and deadly it is, it's not even that it's ok if you only smoke like 1 a day, cuz it's way more unhealthy, and that is all I am saying

• Cigarettes yes because I hate the smell and there are not many worse things than kssing a smoker but not alcohol because then I couldn't relax with a beer. Which I don't drink every day so I think I can control it.

Admitted hypocrisy.

• Cigarettes should be banned their production should be stopped...
    I am okay with alcohol... It's passes right from you system... Also cleans it...
    Just don't perform any task while you are intoxicated... With alcohol

• Production of it should cease. But can't really make it illegal. It's been tried before. And it failed

• alcohol was made illegal by prohibition which was repealed. as for cigarettes, the cost for a pack where we are.. $15.00 a pack, it should be illegal!

• I used to think this way but then I learned about economics.
    Cigarettes and alcohol provide a lot of revenue. Plus we tried banning alcohol before it didn't work out so well in the 1920s.

• Naw, let people enjoy it, were all going to die anyways.

• None should be illegal.

• Alcohol is the biggest killer of all. It ruins lives just look and drunk driving and alcoholism. But you'll never stop it.

• What I wish is that they no longer existed

Sadly that is not so

• No I think all drugs should be legal.

• no drug is illegal. most good stuff u just need a script. From meth to oxy to weed

• Nope and nope...