Anyone here know a lot about cats?

I know this isn't the usual question but there are always so many users on I didn't think it would hurt to ask.
So I got my first cat about a year and a half ago, shortly after he was born. His name is Tiber and he broke his femur where it connects to his pelvis and bears weight. When we first noticed it he was meowing which he never does and was refusing to move unless to hide and wouldn't put any weight on it.
I took him to the vet where they informed me of the break and said that the surgeon wouldn't be in the office for a while so I would have to wait. We've been keeping him isolated. The first two days he was pretty drugged and wouldn't move. Now he's moving around quite a bit and is putting some weight on his leg. Is it possible that he will heal on his own? They said at the vet their was a small chance but I was in too much shock at him being injured that I didn't ask many questions. Anyone with any experience know how long it takes and the likelihood that he'll be ok without surgery?

I know that my cat will be fine no matter what. I'm more curious about it healing on its own since it could be weeks before the surgeon is back in town

Most Helpful Guy

• My cat cracked a paw bone and busted its tendons because she had a fight with a dog and got her ass kicked. She was treated by the vet, had no surgery though, but had her paw/leg stabilized with smth (since it only cracked, didn't broke fully). We had her locked in a room so she recovered but with the system on, so she wasn't able to move her front paw much. After two weeks or so, we removed the bandages and all of that and she finished recovering by herself. Of course, it wasn't fully broke so she was able handle it, but in your case it's better to keep him stable until you are able to give him vet attention.

• Thank you for being the only person that actually read my post for starters.
      Also thank you for the advice. So far he's been isolated. We've kept him in the spare bedroom with all his necessary items, like food water and litter. And yeah he's moving better now and doesn't seem to be hurting as much so I was just curious about him healing on his own since we have no idea when the surgeon will be in town.

• Yeah, that would be the worse case scenario. Of its any comfort, my cat never got surgery and even though she limps, she did well and is very active... maybe a little too much lol

• Thanks 😸

What Guys Said 4

• When my cat was young I had a suspicion my cat broke one of his front legs. My parents didn't believe it but it did heal but now at old age he has arthritis there and can't jump very high now. He walks with a bit of a limp too. Healing on its own will make the bone weaker.

• even if your kitty isn't complaining, surgery is inevitable... A stray dog savaged my cat's ears... It refused to come out from under the shoe rack... I had to pull her out crying and hissing...

• I kind of figured. I just don't want it to heal wrong and then the surgeon having to do more work to fix it. He's now walking around and trying to rush me and get out of the room

• They sleep a lot, bring in dead animals, and more independent than dogs

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• No I am not a cat lady!