I'm sure this is gonna sound ridiculous to most of you, but I 100% hate receiving compliments. While most people think I would appreciate them being verbally nice to me, they actually freak me out, and make me feel inadequate.
My biggest problem with 'em is that I both like to be a Jester and that the biggest part of my charm comes from my self-irony, and joke about a difect of yours while others are complimenting it is hard as shit.
For example I'm currently losing weight for the first time, and the other day my friends started noticing it and complimenting me about it, but all I could come up with was a clearly dishonest: "Ehm... thank you. Yes..." and the only way I could save myself was with "But the road is quite long yet. Almost as the circumference of my belly!". How do you deal with it?
- I love them, they make me feel appreciated.27% (3)14% (1)22% (4)Vote
- I like them as long as they are honest and not just cheesy words to get my attention.18% (2)29% (2)22% (4)Vote
- I like them only if they come from a person I like or admire.0% (0)29% (2)11% (2)Vote
- I couldn't care less about anyone else's opinion.9% (1)0% (0)6% (1)Vote
- I don't totally dislike them, but I'm not so used to receive them,18% (2)0% (0)11% (2)Vote
- I hate 'em, they make me feel awkward.28% (3)28% (2)28% (5)Vote
Most Helpful Guy
Compliments are fine as long as they're realistic. Overcompliments can be as bad as mocking.1