What do you think about compliments?

I'm sure this is gonna sound ridiculous to most of you, but I 100% hate receiving compliments. While most people think I would appreciate them being verbally nice to me, they actually freak me out, and make me feel inadequate.
My biggest problem with 'em is that I both like to be a Jester and that the biggest part of my charm comes from my self-irony, and joke about a difect of yours while others are complimenting it is hard as shit.

For example I'm currently losing weight for the first time, and the other day my friends started noticing it and complimenting me about it, but all I could come up with was a clearly dishonest: "Ehm... thank you. Yes..." and the only way I could save myself was with "But the road is quite long yet. Almost as the circumference of my belly!". How do you deal with it?

• I love them, they make me feel appreciated.
  • I like them as long as they are honest and not just cheesy words to get my attention.
  • I like them only if they come from a person I like or admire.
  • I couldn't care less about anyone else's opinion.
  • I don't totally dislike them, but I'm not so used to receive them,
  • I hate 'em, they make me feel awkward.

Most Helpful Guy

• Compliments are fine as long as they're realistic. Overcompliments can be as bad as mocking.

• I also think that compliments are somehow a demonstration of luck of trust. Like, if I'm complimenting you for a job you've done right, it means I was 100% sure you would have managed do it. I'm not complimenting a lobby driver to deliver something, I 'll be disappointed if he or she doesn't make it, if something.

What Girls Said 8

• Its hard to accept them!

• Meh, I'm not really use to receiving them so I don't really know how to react when someone says something genuinely nice about me

• I love compliments.

• Compliments are bullshit. People tell me I'm nice and pretty but neither of those things is true.

• I like to hear them but never trust that they are real

• I don't believe them, to be honest. I just smile, say thanks and move on.

• Sir, u wrote a nice paragraph.

• It's hard for me to accept them because i'm not so used to receive them

• Better get used to it now, beautiful :)

But yea, I'm kind of the same. Dunno if I like receiving them myself ;D

What Guys Said 0