"Money can't buy happiness" true or false?

I say anything that can buy you a jet ski is instant happiness

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 24

• The answer is YES, money can buy happiness -- but only up to a certain point.

It shouldn't surprise you that tons and tons and tons of studies have been done on this. In fact, by this point, economists have pretty much been able to put a dollar value on the "saturation point" -- that is, the point at which money STOPS buying additional happiness.

I mean, you can google the shit out of this. Just type in "money can buy happiness but only up to a point", and see what google spits out at you.
    www.cnbc.com/.../...iness-but-only-to-a-point.html

Obviously, there's gna be individual variation. And, there can be "habituation effects" -- in other words, people can be spoiled children, and, once they get used to a certain standard of living, teh LACK of money might bring a certain (temporary) LACK of happiness.
    But... yeah.

I mean, these studies shouldn't exactly be surprising.

Because... in other, equally unsurprising news... grinding poverty sucks.

• Money can buy temporary bits of happiness. Because you're going to be super happy when you first get something, it'll stay that way during the period of time it's considered new, but that happiness fades.

• Then u get a COMPLETELY NEW YACHT THAT IS SO STATE OF THE ART AND OMG SO AWESOME

3 weeks later

OMG OMG I BOUGHT A HELICOPTER SO MUCH FUN GONNA CRASH INTO THE GRAND CANYON

5 weeks later

OMG OMG OMG JUST BOUGHT AN ARMY NOW I'M GONNA CONQUER TIAWANA

• OMG you haven't?

Okay, erase that entire list and watch it right now bruh. That's politics but that shit is INTENSE

• Haha I will!

• True, BUT it certainly can pave the way. Money provids options, options reduce stress, less stress tend to make for a happier existence!

• It may not buy total happiness, but I know I'd be a hell of a lot happier than I am now if I never had to worry about being able to afford food again :P

• Instant happiness is different from long term happiness; and its long lasting satisfaction that is what people strive for and refer to as "happiness".

• So a poor person that struggles to get food is just as happy as a rich person

• But, money can't buy happiness, saying that money is not capable of buying any form of happiness. True? Or false?

• False. Money is capable of buying some happiness. Just not every type.

• False! Money could buy me anything!

• Money can buy security.

Without security, it's hard to be happy.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can make people happy.

• Lol that last line

Making people happy I think means buying it, m'dear

• It can't make someone happy who is already unhappy=sad rich lady.

But, it can make other people happy because they need it/have never had it before=lottery winner with bills, person with medical bills, etc.

That's what I'm getting at,

• It doesn't buy happiness in that you can have millions of doors and be severely unhappy. However, living n financial instability contributes to great unhappiness so in that regard, money does buy relief, which can help a person become happy.

• Money itself, no. But it can give you access to material objects and experiences that can help you create happy memories with loved ones, so that counts in my book.

• It deff can buy happiness but the happiness won't last long, i say you should learn to be happy without it so when you get a ton of it and it dissappears or the feeling fades you will still know how to be happy.

• truuuuuuu

• It's true money can't by happiness.

However, money can buy shoes and wine which are the next best things.

• I live in a town of rich people. I promise you all, a ton of money makes you miserable and yor children entitled and shallow

• And struggling people are happy?

• Except, what about philanthropists? Rich people who accomplish things?

• Philanthropists tend to be much happier, and much nicer people, but most rich people, especially those born into the wealth, are incredibly materialistic and tu happy as a result.

• False af...

• It sure helps though. I would rather be rich & unhappy then poor.

• Both. It can bring you great happiness or sadness. Depends on what you do with it and the people you surround yourself with.

• False, if money is all you want then theoretically money would bring you happiness

• Uhhh...

Wat?

U can want more than just money and yet money could buy you many things you want

• Wait woah woah woah I just read that wrong oops

Lol wtf

• false, it can

• Money can't buy happiness for everyone.

• Aight let's see this

What's your definition of happiness?

• Chemical imbalance in the brain, now before you say medication, that's true, but it doesn't help every individual.

• Money can buy security and for some people that's enough

• I never see a person homeless and poor happy...

• False. And I am not thinking just on me because I could also use that money to but things for the people that I love and that will make me happy.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 33

• True and False. So both.

I say this because anyone that says it can't bring any happiness is not telling the full truth. There is a level of happiness that comes from being able to pay your bills, buy food etc without having to watch every dollar you spend. Being able to run heating all winter and just paying the power bill no matter what it is etc does bring a level of happiness. However, money cannot buy things like love and buying a flash BMW can not make you accept yourself. So yes and no.

• The same thing that my first year psych professor told the class. "Money might not be able to buy happiness, but it makes a hell of a down payment."

Money can, in effect, buy most anything.

Now. The real question is "Is it possible to not have money and be happy." Pretty much no. You need money for everything. You need money for food, shelter--in order to remain groomed, to get a job. Basically everything. Nearly everything requires money.

The only people who say "money isn't everything" or "money doesn't buy happiness" are people who actually have money.

• That's the stupidest thing I heard... 'Money cannot but you happiness...'
    Then all the rich people should be crying and weeping...
    And all the poor people should be laughing and enjoying...

Money can bring you happiness you remember what Gabriel soilce said..
    img.buzzfeed.com/.../...uzz-6794-1377197755-11.jpg

And money can buy you a faster Internet connection which is pretty much everything..

• Money is just a means to an end so it doesn't directky buy happiness. I think it offers freedom and security, you are more secure in your ability to pay for necessities and you potentially have more time to invest in your hobbies and that can improve your happiness.

Still I think your emotional variance will scale so that you'll have similar ammounts of happiness but it will just be different things that cause you pain/sadness.

• In my case, COMPLETELY false! If I had lots of money, I would be the happiest man alive (even if I didn't have people around me).

• There are four levels to happiness

1. Instant gratification. When your happiness comes from material goods or eating something you love. This is the lowest level of happiness

2. The ego boosting one upper happiness. The happiness you get from competition and winning. This is the 2nd lowest and the happiness most humans are at

3. Happiness you get from helping another person, animal, thing, organism. Being selfless. To jump from 2 to 3 is a huge leap

4. Being at eternal bliss. You need nothing to make you happy and appreciate everything. You have no stress or worries. To achieve this state you need to be like a monk or mountain man.

This is a lazy way of putting it as I'm really stoned.

• Money can buy you the source of happiness but not happiness itself. Hence yes it's true.

• Money can buy you fleeting material happiness sure but true happiness is something that can't be bought with all the money in the world.

• It bought me two of the best dogs in the world which were nothing but happiness for me.

So yes it can.

• Money can buy happy moments, not happiness itself which is much deeper and goes beyond some moments.

• Speaking strictly, no, money cannot buy happiness, but it can buy a damned good facsimile of happiness and make me comfortable in my misery.

• Ofcourse it can.

• Technically true. It provides you the time and space to pursue happiness, but it can't BUY it for you.

• Different people hold different values. To me, it's neither. I can't be happy on an empty stomach, so money does have its uses.

• No it is not true, because true a Jet Ski is fun, but it's only temporary, true happiness never goes away

• It can buy you a lot of things that can make you happy. I vote for false.

• its true and false.

there is a minimum to be happy and its part of the formula for happiness but is not happiness itself.

• Money itself no, but the things that comes from having money yes. More money means less stress, more resources, and security. Also pays for nice things.

• Very false. I know from experience but I suppose everyone is different.

• Why do you think people say that, anyways?

• I think people say it cuz it's true. You still have problems, maybe different ones but they're still there. Some of the most miserable people I know are freakin loaded. There's never enough, no matter how much you have, you never have enough to be happy. Read stories about people that hit the lottery for tens of millions. They all say the same thing. I know a lady that's worth at least 50 mil, she's so bummed cuz she couldn't afford a yacht that her other friend bought that was 4 million. Seriously these people exist.

• Tralse its true and false at the same time.

• I would say false

• False. It certainly can.

• Truly depends on the type of happiness we want :P

• "Mo money, mo problems"
    -Biggie

• It can only buy it temporarily.

• Money doesn't make you happy, but it does help a lot.

• The false is more likely true.

• Not alone but money definitely makes life happier lol.

• true cuz money buys so much pussy

• Lol I think u meant false because false = money CAN buy happiness

• true dat

• my idol tony montana said it best in scarface
      "first you get the money. then you get the power. then you get the women."
      tony montana is the jesus

• No, you can't buy true inner happiness, nor true friends that would stick by you even though you lost all your money (although I'll admit there's people like that out there, but rare I would assume).

Having said that, I would much prefer to cry out of loneliness in a Rolls Royce than a Trabant

• More from Guys
    3

1 private opinion(s)