What's the most painful experience you've faced in your life?

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of mine are emotional - I had crap periods with mental health issues from the late 1980s, I suppose a couple of patches stand out but I was in a disastrous relationship in the late 2000s early 2010s, I was in bits physically, emotionally and financially. I don't know for sure if the relationship exacerbated my mental health issue but basically I was in bits. During that time my father was diagnosed with dementia by 2011/2012 it had become clear he needed 24/7 care. I took a career break to become his primary carer but also for a selfish reason to get my life back on track. If any reader interested in the full story this is it www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a25112-a-sidelong-look-at-mental-health-my-experiences-perceptions
    Anyway where was I, my dad was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer in February 2014 and he died in July 2014. I think the whole process was a series of painful incidents first of all the dementia diagnosed which is essentially a slow terminal disease, when the dementia got bad the finality kinda kicked in then the cancer diagnosis and he had a few months left to live.
    Then a month out he got very weak and the health care team said it has started. Finally when he was bed bound and they said about a week, then he slipped in a coma and by that stage you knew it was over, he died two days later. One thing I will never forget is I was talking to friends on the Wednesday and they asked any indication when and I came straight out saying he will die next Monday and he did. Got a bit sidetracked there the point I was trying to make was I talked to my sister after we are told he had about a week left and I said "It feels like we have been told he is going to die about 5 times already".
    All of that was really rough but what I think was the cruellest was watching the dementia take him away, to be honest he was just a shell the last two years of his life, my father disappeared sometime in 2011/12. It used to kill me to think did he realised what had happened, what was he feeling now because he couldn't express what he was going on in his head.

Most Helpful Girl

• Top five:
    1.) Eating rice w/ no meat
    2.) Unrequited love
    3.) Granddad passing away
    4.) Unrequited love
    5.) Being in a relationship , but your partner acting as if they are single.

• Yeah unrequitted love is sooo painful 😔😢💔
      Losing someone you loves is excruciatingly painful 😭

• Woooowhooooo thanks as WIFEEEE😘😘 @Victorianne

• welcome my best wfffeeee ♥♥♥♥♥

What Guys Said 31

• im not even gonna recount that... there are too many that i just stopped counting and just mentally burned my pain receptors...
    been smiling since... smile even wider when i know im about to hurt someone else. im smiling now... in case you are wondering.

• Mine is when I fell out of a tree from 110 feet and landed on the ground on my back.. I was still very much aware of things when I hit the ground.. the pain was something I had never went through before then when I tried to move I could not, then seen all the bones from both my arms and legs actually protruding out past my skin, it was then that I passed out.. I did not reawaken till four days later in the hospital.. even when I found out what had to wear after that was not any where close to the pain of the fall itself

• The first time I had a steroid injection in my spine. They told me it's not very painful for most. The worst part is the numbing. Yeeeah, right. When they started, I had an indescribably intense nerve pain like I've never felt down my leg. When you have that much pain, you really can't control your screaming. It lasted 30 seconds maybe but when it was done, I was drenched in sweat, I was uncontrollably shaking really bad and I puked. The second one, I insisted they give me something any the doc remembered me so they pumped me full of hydromorphone which is like 10 times stronger than morphine and all I remember is being high as freak. It was actually kinda nice. Now when I have them, I go to a guy that offers anesthesia. The last time I had one, I woke up asking the nurses for pumpkin pie.

• Hmm tbh I haven't had unusually painful experiences like some people unfortunately have. But the typical round of a friend passing away from a tragic accident, and very painful breakups/getting lead on dating experiences like most other people have similarly had to go through.

• Chuckle, I suppose my bittter disagreement with my sister in law, and the outcome!
    For crying out loud...

• Most painful experience?

Well, I have had a bad experiences but most painful? Nothing so far. I hope it remains like that.

• Probably going trough a bunch of surgeries. I had a blood clot in my whole arm and almost to my chest and I had to have it removed quite a few times that I lost count. My arm is normally 12 inches around and it swelled up to at least 16 inches. I also had a rib removed and a neck muscle removed which wasn't fun and I've had a lot of physical problems for several years because of all that. a lot of stuff during that was painful. Could barely move my arm and some of the painkiller shots right before surgery felt like they lit your arm on fire lol.

• Emotionally: I was about 9/10 and I had an unexpected visit to my mom who I hadn't seen in a few years at the time. Just really confused why I hadn't seen her in so long and I missed her.

Physically: Ankle sprain and a dislocated finger were about the same.

• Hmm lost my best friend to leukemia at age 8. That isn't the worst, but its the only one i am willing to share

• Getting my wisdom teeth pulled lol. 17 years old in bootcamp. They didn't numb me correctly. Literally had to saw my teeth in half and yank four four of them out.

You have to talk in third person in Marine Corps bootcamp.

I was like "Sir.. Recruit Martinez requesting permission to speak."
    Navy Corpsman says "What bitch?"
    "Sir this recruit isn't numbed yet!"
    Navy Corpsman.. "Shut the fck up bitch stop whining" *continues anyway*

My whole body turned numb because it was so painful lol. Was the first time I ever experienced so much pain like that.

• When my application for a visa to go to another country has been declined. I live in a shithole, where good things don't happen. Ally my life I have only suffered, without any good moments. And I took last bits and pieces of hope and put together that application to get the fuck out of here. And everybody encouraged me, the agent and all the other people involved were saying it was a sure thing. And it failed. That day I lost all hope. Permanently. And that's how I've been living my life ever since

• Death its the worst of anything a man can ever face

• emotionally : losing my marriage and filing for divorce (present)
    physically: kidney stones and all the painful details that you go through in the process of several weeks.

• Nothing so far elhamdlelAllah

• The death of my dear dad. Nothing even comes close. :(

• I had teeth pulled when I was young but due to an interaction with my adhd medication and the numbing agent I felt EVERYTHING.
    I still get anxious going to the dentist

• i stepped on a lego a couple times...

• ouch!! I feel your pain, coz I stepped on my nephews Lego last week , and it was sooo painful lol

• the worst is when it's in the carpet and there's no way in hell you can possibly see it coming. you put your full weight on it and you swear it broke skin :|

• ouch!!! Yeesss so true !! :(

• physical its clearly a bike accident i had when i was a child... both legs and half of my skin was grazed :( it takes weeks in special dressings to heal

mental its the death of my dog im down for month then :(

• Loss of my mother when I was 12 and what she did to me, was very painful.
    Fortunately i overcame it, and thrived in spite of her actions.

• oh the terrible pain i had to go through during a personal metamorphisis which involved me facing some pretty bad inner deamons :)

• my friend's death. she was an amazing girl. a genius and cool girl. She loved swimming and one day she was washed away from a beach shore and her body was found a day later.

• passing away of my dad 3 years ago

• When i sawed (is that a word) my thumb for like 3 seconds without realising lol.

• Well , broke up with first girlfriend..

• Being far from someone <3

• probably the domestic violence that gave me ptsd

• I was inducted and raped. Nothing in my life has been worse.

• Oh i am so very sorry.:( My heart goes out to you!! ♥

• Thank you, it took many years to get to this point. I was 13 at the time I'm 46 now.

• You're welcome ! I hope you find inner peace one day

• my dear uncle passed away last 2 months ago.. it is most painful experience I have faced..

• fisting to my ex girlfriend

• taken a huge dump :(

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 14

• Child birth.

Second degree burns.

• What's the worst?

• Child birth I was able to get the pain numbed with an epidural.

The second degree burns kept feeling as if I were reburned for hours on end even though I wasn't any longer.
      Id say the burns.
      Not being able to do anything and the recovery to healing and thinking my skin would never be close to normal is a lot of emotional pain.

• Probably when I stabbed a steak knife through my hand while attempting to shuck an oyster. Not a good day.

• Emotionally when my Dad drowned while diving in
    2008 cod undefined
    Physically i shatterd my ankle and fractured my lower tibia and tore the ligaments of my ankle whrn i landed on
    somones foot playing netball earlier in 2008

• Sorry about your sad. 😔 That's tragic. I lost my father last year

• Sorry to hear babe :( i miss my dad everyday. it was unexpected he may have had a diabetic episode while underwater as he was diabetic was fit and healthy otherwise and only just turned 50 a month earlier

• Physically: having my whole upper back muscle pulled. It hurt to breath, sneeze, burp, move, etc and I would cry from how extreme the pain was. That was the worse thing I had ever felt.

Mentally: Knowing I'm trapped with no way out.

• I get a lot of ovarian cysts. I feel like that is enough detail.

• Agh, I won't go into details, but it has to do with my family when I was about 10-11 years old.

• Hmmm.. Somehow I think you will already know my answer @Victorianne

• Till now, its been the death of my grandma 4-5 years ago... Nothing can be even near that pain

• Shot in the butt. Never. Again.

• Running! Homework!

• losing someone

• Love of my life decided he liked my best friend better, as she did him

• That must be extremely painful, sorry 😔💖

• Awwww thank you, you're so sweet. Definitely a situation that tests someone

• I agree! some of the lessons we learn in life are learnt from the most painful experiences we face.

• Tie between period pain, migraine, and complications from my RA.

• Family related, unfortunately