What is the best way to chose a dog?

Most Helpful Girl

• Like in terms of breed or by which puppy to pick?

Breed - You need to have a dog that suits your lifestyle. If you're out for hours on end and you don't have time to do more than the cursory grooming and super long walks, then you don't want a dog with high energy or lots of fur. If you live in a small flat with no garden, you don't want a huge dog like a great dane. If you have kids, you want a dog that tends to have a more docile personality. It all depends on that. If you tell me what your home and lifestyle is like, I can try and recommend some dogs?

Okay, and choosing a specific puppy out of a litter (I'ma assuming you're buying a puppy rather than adopting an older dog): It's best to find one that's registered and from a certified breeder. It's more likely to be healthy. I would highly recommend not getting a puppy that you can't see in its home environment and with the mother. Lots of people steal litters and sell them as their own and not having the mother available for viewing is a pretty big question mark. The father not being there is understandable since usually people use stud dogs owned by other people, but you should get to see the mom. The puppy shouldn't have any obvious problems walking (some clumsiness is fine and they'll be doing a lot of growing and stuff) and their eyes should look very clear. If they look kinda foggy or blocked, that's an issue. Listen to their breathing too, panting is fine but anything that sounds alarming should be taken as an issue.

Of course, I do recommend getting an older dog from an adoption centre, a lot of them need homes <3

Most Helpful Guy

• Ask dog handler

What Girls Said 3

• based on ur lifestyle basically.
    think of where u live, do u have time, can u afford it, are u okay with cleaning up long hair or just having a dog with short hair... stuff like that.

• The one that humps your leg first is the keeper.

• Doing research about the breed of the dog, Is it calm or energetic, what it needs. Seeing if it's going to be right for the place you're staying. Is it good with kids...

What Guys Said 2