Feeling pressured to read the bible?

No one is physically pressuring me that are around me, its more like an internal thing. Like i feel like im under pressure to read it. A part of me is so hesitant to do it though. What should i do?

Most Helpful Girl

• look i think that the fact that it's coming from you and no one else should be telling u something. everyone [who is christian] has had that inner battle with themselves. "i wanna, but i dont wanna" kind of thing. i'd say read 1 verse. just one. it takes 2 seconds. if you feel like you wanna read more, read more. if you've had enough after 1 verse, then close it, and read another 1 the next day.

What Guys Said 12

• Just do it. The bible is way less special than people might be telling you. The style it's written in is bad and it's deadly boring 90% of the time. There are a few good passages in it like in most books but there's also TONS of "Isaiah had twenty-five sons: Benjamin, Aaron, Daniel, Lovothe, Abiram, Caleb, Elias, Gabriel, Hadrach, Luke, Nain, Pathros, Zecharias, Saul, ... ... ...
    His first son, Benjamin, had nineteen sons and twenty-three daughters. They were called blablablablablablablablablablablabla...
    His second son, Aaron, had twenty-one sons and eleven daughters. They were called blablablablablablablablablablablabla...

Every time I read this I think "OKAY OKAY I GET IT. They fucked a lot and had a lot of kids. Now PLEASE move on and tell me something that's actually of value."
    Every contemporary author would be ridiculed for writing such stuff. No publisher would ever agree to publish something like that. But because it's the bible, everyone's like "oh it's so sacred, so special, it makes me have an erection". It's really not that special. Apart from the all the absolutely atrocious bullshit that's in there and a few good passages, it's 95% endlessly boring rambling on about completely irrelevant trivialities.

• Those parts that you were reading that are like that are genealogies. They are so impeccably dry for a reason. That's how they were done then. They are included in the Bible because it's pertinent to other books.

• I'm an atheist and I've read the Bible 3 times. There's wisdom in there so long as you don't start taking it too literally.

• First think to know is, there is no comulsuion in reading any of the religious scriptures. It's not the ultimate as well. If you feel pressured, it means the feeling is coming out of your mind and not from your heart. Mind is logical, seeking benifits. Heart is emotional, seeking warmth. A blend of both will keep in a right state to grasp the things in a right way.

In my opinion you really need a sound meditaion before you involve in any sort of activity. Just sit, close your eyes and watch your breath. Do it on a regualr basis for sometime. Once you have control over your thought process you are ready to go. No more doubts, just meditation. Cheers :)

• hun there's about 150 bibles each one has a 10% difference
    but here's my question why do you wanna read it?

• I feel like if i dont something bad will happen.

• hun relax you don't have read the bible nothing bad will happen
      now I'm not saying to never read it, but you don't have to read it all the time
      I don't read the bible much, usually only a few scriptures a day and I do that with in 1 hour

• Don't. Read it when you don't feel pressured to do it. Read it out of curiosity and for education. It's just a book, don't allow yourself to be pressured into it.

• If you want to read it, read it. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. It's that simple.

• bible is boring af. I couldn't even read it in jail and it was the only book avail.

• Read it however I recommend skipping the old testament hense given Its name its obsolete.

• don't do anything you don't want to do

• Why do you feel pressured to read it? And why are you hesitant to do it?

• Do it that's all

• Read the origin of spieces

• What for? Darwin wasn't right about much. If you want to learn about biology, grab a modern biology textbook.

• True but as I said it as more of a joke then anything

What Girls Said 3

• Don't do it unless YOU want to.

• Read with an open mind. Why do you feel pressure to read it?

• If you feel the internal pressure to read the Bible, then go ahead and do it! I mean, what's the worst that could happen?