Are guys more courageous/braver than girls in general?

Do they usually get less scared of things? For the example scary movies, insects, crazy sports...
It just seems to me that they are! Men in my family seem to be more courageous! For example a couple of years ago a thief broke into my aunt's home and it was all women like 5 they got all scared (he had a knife and he put in on my aunts neck) but when my cousin came he beat him up even before the cops came!
Also guys in my family are less scared of insects for example!

"My insect killer"

• Yes guys are less scared of things
  • No women are less scared of things
  • They are equally scared of things but guys don't show it!

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say its a mix of a and b. boys at a young age get pressured into certain gender roles just like females regardless of where you live and there are just some universal gender roles in all of society and men being told not to fear is one of them. Fear is a natural response mainly controlled by the hypothalamus adrenal axis part of the brain one of its roles is to release a chemical called cortisol into your blood stream, but in other places too like your nervous system and your organs. The sympathetic nervous system also commonly referred to as the fight fright or flight response, certain things happen when you are presented to a certain stimuli and if its one that you fear your brain releases those onto your blood stream and other organs and other parts of your body as well. One of the easiest ways to know if you someone is scared of something is to just look into their eyes if you see their eyes dilating then that means they are scared.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know if guys are actually less scared of things, but their higher testerone gives them more confidence and self-assurance. Men are more likely to feel capapble of handling a tricky situation than men are, but I don't think that courage is the absense of fear, just a more proactive response to it.

What Guys Said 41

• ughh this is like my reaction cause i always think an insect is gonna jump right on top of me if i fuck with it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OcOqbvmpw&nohtml5=False

• Usually, yes.
    Men are taught that being scared is being a pussy, therefore we learn to not be scared of many things, and even if we are scared, we hide it and we show courage instead of fear.
    Everyone is scared, but the difference between men and women (generally) is that men fight through that fear, while women tend to hide behind the man.
    When you ask a woman why they want a tall guy, 99% will say "because I want someone to protect me". Women aren't generally taught to fight (not literally fist fights), therefore they tend to hide when danger appears.

Both men and women are capable of being courageous, and I've seen women that are way more courageous than some guys, but we tend to treat women like princesses. "Women and children first". This saying is applied to every dangerous situation, and it's a clear example of what I'm saying.

• Courage is acting despite your fears.

• Guys aren't less scared of most things, we just deal with it more rationally and don't lose our heads.

• I believe it really depends upon how you grew up and learned to cope. Often times those who have courage where fear should be have learned that actions dictate how you get out of that mess. Males from birth have a more difficult life socially and emotionally which sums up what it means to be human. Each one is an outcast unless he acts upon it to change the outcome. In general males are more courageous on the outside but on the inside they are soft and mushy, just unsure of how to show it.

• I think in general that men are more courageous, yeah. Of course, there are women who are too, but I don't think they're as common of a thing. And there are of course some things that scare men that don't scare men individually, but if we're talking the overall outlook of things, you can see in every day life that men are just generally more brave. They're the ones that do the dangerous work, the hard work, go to war, etc. Even I'm not willing to do some of those things, but a lot of other guys are.

• Oddly I think I might have more courage fighting off a thief than I would with a spider or a snake.

Im not sure if we are less afraid I think we just internalize it better.

• It's a fact that men are less scared in general. Baby girls show fear quicker than baby boys. Plus, when we do feel scared we do it anyway because that's always been our job, to hunt, to fight, to protect etc. Of course upbringing has a lot to do with it too, but it's also biological, it's what we're built for.

• there are so many way you can be courageous/brave.
    - like doing the right thing even though it is hard to do so.
    - standing up to someone who is bullying or putting someone down just because they can.
    - seeing someone who needs help and giving them a hand with out being asked
    - people who will sacrifice for others with out being asked for anything in return
    etc. etc. etc

• “Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.”

That being said, there is not a whole lot that genuinely frightens me.

• Well yeah , guys were made to protect women and women make them feel good about them selves after it , for example men as you say are brave in general ( which in the world isn't really true ) but women are generally more kind. but yeah guys are less scared of things 😛

• I don't know about all but I definitely bench more OP so there u go

• 1st of all: WTF is wrong with where u live?

2nd of all: I'm not sure, but I mean I don't really react to movies the way I've seen girls do, but I have no idea how I'd react in the event of a robbery.

• Lol like for example: men r expected to die first on the Titanic

Courageous person: Sure thing!

Me: FUCK DAT

• Yes, because it is men who are designed to go forth and battle the enemy.
    Women are not designed for combat, physically of psychologically.

• No, all people are afraid of things to some extent. But like answered before and in relevance to your example men are conditioned and accept to fulfill the role of the protector of the family. A woman in need to protect her child will possibly act bravely too. Most people (either men or women) are afraid of unknown or dangerous things and/or future consequences of events though.

• Nope, we men just have less brains making us more willing to do stupid things making seem like where brave when we are just dumb.

• not really. it´s a question of willpower and that´s not gender specific. guys will act as if they´re more brave to impress a girl may´be but i don´t think they actually are.

• In this case its pretty obvious why. If you had more strength you'd naturally be less afraid

Pretty shitty thief, doesn't know how to use a knife. But luckily no one got hurt

• I'm hardly scared of anything because I grew up in NYC so we're just hard like that.

• It seriously depends really, it's subjective.

• Men are scared too but there are some risks that we are willing to take. I don't want to die but if you break into my home, my home where my family is. I will confront you.

• im a guy and i get sacred of some insects very easily and i get scared of horror movies too, both genders are equal i think

• that plus, more inellectual, emotionally deeper (but we control our emotions). more morals and ligical/rational

• Umm so what are we girl better at haha 😝😳

• psychologically, they are wired to listen to authority. usually whatever society tells them or a man (i dont mean to offend but its true), they are good at helping duties.

also as a mother, they are more important until the baby's 6 to 7 and fathers become way more important. they did a study and single fathers raising children did dramatically better raising higher achievers who stayed out of trouble...99 percent of returning clients in the prison system are kids from single mothers.

i m sure there's lots women are better at=) i emphasize male superiority a lot due to attacking feminatzis dnt mind me lol

• Bravery is not the absence of fear, that is called stupidity. Bravery is being scared but pushing forward anyway.

And I have personally noticed that men are the braver sex.

• Inside I'm scare like very scare. However, on the outside. I never let it show on the outside. I let my ego and my confidence take over.

• We are all humans one thing I could say however is women are brave enough to birth a child

• Biologically, men are better at detaching emotions

• they use their brain less and also show it less :P

• It depends

My dad is mild mannered but he'd move heaven and earth fir my mom
    My dad is like superman and Clark Kent in secret lol

And my mom is out going and would stick up for what she feels Is right like madea

• Yes. Definitely.

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 19

• i think women and men are equally scared of things. 1 it's usually different things and 2 it varies from person to person. i'm sure there are some girls who are less scared than guys and vice versa

• It depends on the person really. I mean I would consider myself courageous or brave. But that's mostly b/c i grew up in a rough neighborhood with assholes about. So i had to learn to defend myself and be fearless in a way. So yeah, just depends on the person!

:)

• I think that it's probably pretty equal technically, but guys tend to show fear less often than girls. If I'm scared of something, I'm more likely to go to a male before a female because even if they are afraid too, they're more likely to put on a brave face. They seem to be more rational in the types of situations as well.

• option C let me thinking, but probably some guys are legitimately not scared of the stupid things we are scared of

• I guess. Maybe a little. Lol. I certainly know I wouldn't be caught dead killing a spider, but my boyfriend does not mind being the bug killer.

• it s all about the education you had while growing up.
    girls were more pampered and taken care off when guys were trated more coldly.
    parents tend to be more easy going with guys letting them take charge earlier while they are way more protective with their girls.
    That s the reason there is a difference in attitude it s all about the mentality you ve been thought as a pupil.
    Also let us admit... guys are stronger than girls therefore it gives them a better advantage.

• I agree. The other day I saw a spider on the toilet seat right after I used it. 😬 Yeah!
    After jumping up from my earth shattering scream to watch me run from the house, My guy casually walks over, and kills it.

• Most guys probably don't even think about it until afterwards.

For me, thanks to having adhd I never think when I do crazy stuff.

• Men have emotions. They're just expected not to show them.

• Sometimes I wonder if it's because of societal gender roles that compels them to act more brave. I do think there is some natural degree of men being biologically braver considering their bodies are made bigger and stronger and they are not childbearing. But then again, what is brave? I have heard women tend to have a better pain tolerance than men.

• That depends on the guy, and the girl.

• definitely C, my brother once hid behind me when we saw a rat... the pussy, he grew up and now he acts like he was never once scared of rats.

• Of course they get scared but I think guys are more courageous and brave.

• Happened today! my brother killed insect came to my room 😂 He wanted me to thank him while I woke up angry at him cuz of the Smell. They are Equally scared,, but Men love to protect their women

• I used to kill insects for my sisters all the time. Even if the bug is big and creepy-looking, it is my duty to remove them :)

• Yes, I protected my sisters from insects and creepers that tried to hit on them. I got in trouble a lot when I was younger because it happened so often since they're pretty :)

• @BeerFarts Aww I love when I know that ❤️ Even creeps can't hurt a girl when she have real brother like u 💪🏼

• I'm a big wimp about bugs, but I'll skin a buck.. It really depends on the context.

• I still need either a nightlight or soeone to sleep by my side when I go to bed :(

• Aww I'm the same haha 😳 Hopefully you'll get a man by your side very soon 💞

• Bravery is not being fearless it is about facing your fears

• Testosterone is shown to reduce feelings of fear.

• guys are less scared in general