Is solo traveling dangerous?

I want to go to USA (San Francisco or New York) or England this summer, but I am 17. I will be alone the whole trip. Would there be any problems?

Most Helpful Guy

• England is generally very safe, especially if you avoid London. London itself is full of tourists and therefore prices are at rip-off levels. Much better to go to smaller cities and towns like Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, Bristol, Sheffield. The Lake District is lovely, and so are the Dales in Derbyshire. Devon and Cornwall are lovely counties.

Really, all you need is to be streetwise and to be able to say "No thanks!"

Most Helpful Girl

• As a tourist, with any common sense, you will be absolutely fine in both of those places.

The dangerous parts of San Francisco are called "Oakland", and are located across a large body of water to the east. Srsly...

There are bad parts of both cities, but, in both cases they are VERY far-flung from tourist areas. You will not accidentally wander into them, the way you might in a place like Atlanta, Houston, or Miami.

In NY, you will presumably be staying in Midtown (Manhattan). Unless you end up all the way up in Harlem -- like, triple-digit streets, at least 30 blocks north of anything touristy -- you'll be fine.
    The Cathedral of St. John the Divine is in Harlem. That's worth a visit -- but, obviously, you'd go see that in the daytime. Just go back downtown before the middle of the night.

In San Francisco, I swear, you couldn't even get mugged if you TRIED.
    The only really dangerous parts of SF are Hunters Point and Bayview -- but you'd never be walking through there or anywhere close.
    The Tenderloin district and 6th Street are run-down, but not actually dangerous. They're inhabited by crackheads who can't even stand up on their own two feet or speak coherent words, let alone try to rob an able-bodied adult.

--

On the other hand, the hotel prices? THAT absolutely WILL be "robbery".

What Guys Said 18

• There's danger everywhere.
    It depends on where you go, who you meet. A sizeable % of the US population is in jail: web.archive.org/.../corr2tab.htm
    Avoid those who will be there next year. But they may live in your town too.

BUT
    I traveled the whole of S Europe, only met danger in Marseilles and Barcelona... and between my office and my home, in my city. And and a week ago terrorists killed some 35 persons, wounded 100 in my city, even my neighborhood.: http://www.BBC.com/news/world-europe-35869254

I traveled a big chunk of Mexico, Morocco, Egypt and Tunisia and Turkey, even Palestine, I never met any danger there.
    But In Israel a kibbutz where I stayed was in view of the Golan heights and 'they' (who?) fired some mortar shells or rockets in our direction.

Take care. Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accidents in the US.

• It depends on two things: you and exactly where you go.

If you are already well-traveled. If you already live and travel around a big city, you will be no less safe in NY, SF or London. If you don't do that in your home country, don't expect you can do it in the US or London.

Also, the "clues" about safety can be different in different places. Can you tell the difference between a place where you can get a meal or beverage without being approached, and a place where you'll be leaving with one of the guys at the bar, whether you want to or not? Can you tell when that guy who has been walking behind you for three blocks represents a threat, or whether he's just a harmless drunk wandering home from the bar.

Your ability to read situations and get out of them as needed is what will keep you safe anywhere in the world.

• Everywhere there's some risk for everyone. We can't say you'll be 100% safe. It depends where (exactly what parts of the cities) and what time of day etc. Especially in those major cities. My advice is always be in public places with lots of people around. Don't go anywhere alone or trust strangers. Don't give out any personal info, example if you're talking with people, don't say what hotel room your in or anything (if staying in a hotel). Pretty obvious stuff but I'm constantly surprised how "open" people are to complete strangers, then wonder why bad things happen.

• Yes, I wouldn't recommend it. Even people who know what they're doing get mugged, I doubt you would be safe from that, let alone anythin else. If, however, you do decide to go, always stay in an area with plenty of people and be EXTREMELY cautious on the subway/tube. Also, do NOT go out at night. That's how you end up being kidnapped, assaulted, or raped. Extra safety points for a PDW or pepper spray.
    By the way, where are you from?

• Austria

• Oh alright well you might not know the scope of what I'm talking about in terms of violent crime. It's a lot more prevalent than in Vienna.

• Its not the travel you should be worried about... its the destination.

• I know it depends on where exactly I am going, but do you think San Francisco, New York or England are bad destinations?

• every place has a potential to be bad but they have their upsides too... you do your research and decide where you want to go and what you wana do when you get there.
      i'd say England, because there's really not much "fun" to be had in USA when you are just 17 lol

• I think you should bring someone with you. No matter where you go it's possible that something bad will happen because a teenage girl traveling alone is a very easy target for criminals

• no. it's not. especially if it's in america (outside detroit or camden... mississippi and alabama if you're black) or england. it's just expensive in san fran and nyc and england

• It's not dangerous for men. Might be dangerous for you considering you're a young lady that doesn't know the area.

• For girls maybe yeah.. But for guys no
    I prefer solo traveling.. Solo traveling will help u to learn a lot of things without depending on others
    Good luck ☺

• It doesn't have to be!

At my travels have met girls who also traveled alone

• Where did you go?

• @jacquesvol and how is that Brussel?

• Much less drugs in Brussels, an older public (not the young booze, drugs and sex public) and low hotel prices because we just suffered two terrorist bombings, with some 35 deaths and 100 wounded. (Subway partly down too)
      Thus it's bad in Brussels these days.

• If you're street smart , no.
    Just check out before hand to know where the ghettos are at , where to avoid , the usual scammers and traps.
    Big cities have a tendency to eat people.

• Eh this is true. I am so not street smart and my orientation skills are awful.
      but hey at least you re going to a place you know the language xD

• Its not safe dont do that

• As a young woman, you would (regrettably) have to be smart about it. Take sensible precautions. Ideally travel with someone else.

• yes there could be a lot of problems you should not go alone. but if your confident and not scared of going alone then i'll suggest you to go alone

• new york if you are hot
    you are gonna get hit on a lot
    but just ignore it trust me most people in new york are a little wild

• i plan on solo travelling the world soon (hopefully). I think its fine if you are smart about things. Its a little more dangerous for women though, so be particularly careful

• I can't speak for San Francisco or New York I've never been to either place. But I can speak for Houston because I live in the suburbs. Houston is a big place and I cringe at the thought of having to go downtown for anything. Even going 7 minutes north of where I live can make me nervous. If I were you I would take a friend with you if possible to be safe. If you do end up coming to the USA and you do travel alone use your instincts and try to make friends somewhat with the staff where you stay such as the hotel clerks preferably if they are women so they'll watch out for you. And when you're out to pick a hotel think about a place called The Holiday Inn because most of them are built like malls all indoors. Also when you go to get a room try to get a room on the same floor as and nearest the clerks desk and don't even take a ride from someone you don't know unless it's commercial transportation and make sure to avoid empty or dark areas alone if something doesn't look right avoid.

• Not at all... nobody's gonna kill ya or anything...

If ya like travellin' alone... do it...

What Girls Said 7

• I think this is something you should discuss with your parents/guardians.
    Honestly travelling in general always poses some risks and statistically speaking travelling in a group is much safer than travelling solo. I'm around your age and my parents wouldn't even let me take a bus to a different state without my 2 older cousins. A lot could go wrong I'm not gonna lie. If you're good at reading maps, have a generally good sense of direction, speak English, can defend yourself, not afraid to ask for directions, have good judgement, and have been supported by your parents then I supposed you could go for it but defintely proceed with caution. Good luck.

• No, It's not a good idea. Bad things can happen to people who travel in groups too, but you become more vulnerable when you travel alone. You stand out, and become more noticeable to those who are on the lookout for easy prey.

• depends on where u go.. I dont know about those places tbh, but i dont think there should be a problem, u just have to be smart with what u do and when u do it, like dont walk alone late at night or stuff like that.

• I think it is dangerous to travel alone but if you must try going with a tour group.

• for a woman, especially a 17 year old i'm sure it's extremely dangerous. traveling with family or friends is so much safer and stress free.

• My Mother Traveled to USA alone once, she don't speak English but she made the trip it was difficult she cried when she finally arrived
    👏🏼👏🏼
    she was in Airport while they scan her they talk in English & she kept saying " No English No English" 😂 She kept showing them the English Paper we wrote to her

• yes, don't do it it's like go out alone it's dangerous