I want to learn some self defense. What would be a good type to try?

such as a certain type of martial arts, etc

Most Helpful Guy

• My favorite is fencing and swordsplay, but carrying a sword around would be rather awkward these days... lol
    My favorite martial artist is Jackie Chan. Maybe go for his style?

Most Helpful Girl

• Wel obviously I'm biased towards taekwondo. Despite what many are saying martial arts can be very effective but you need to have a very good instructor. There are so many big talking fake teachers out there. Tkd is good for women because it focuses on kicking more than upper body which is where women have more strength.
    Pepper spray is completely idiotic in my opinion.
    Things like judo are also bad. You want to avoid being taken to the ground and grappling at all costs.
    Krav maga would be good as well but again be very selective about instructors.
    I'm a proponent of having a firearm and getting very good and comfortable with it but I realize that is not for everyone.
    Honestly your mindset is 70% of it. Read a book called Strong on Defense by Sanford Strong.

What Guys Said 29

• Well most are worthless in a real fight having become more art then martial (unless you get very high up in rank and get a very good teacher). However the few that are good are usually very brutal like muai thai kickboxing (you spend the first couple weeks just slamming your shin into a punching bag to build up the bone density) or krav maga which is basicly street fighting which while highly effective is more for combat less for defense. Jui jitsu types are good since most fights end up going to the ground any way so they can be quite effective but are limited in their scope ie its basicly advanced wrestling. I hear escrima is good but don't know enough about that to say for certain. so how much training do you want as in are you looking for a short class that lasts a couple of weeks or actual marital arts training that you will continue with for years?

• I have no idea for how long. just whatever will help me learn to defend myself.

• everyone should know how to defend themselves.

• So general knowledge okay, well Krav maga is brutal but useful and supposedly fairly quick to learn so perhaps that (as long as your not squeemish it really is about the most efficient way to take some one out so its usually viciously efficient).

• Take a womens self defense course, but have to do that more than once. then build off of that.

I was in Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Hap ki Do... pretty useless in self dense other than the below rules learned and basic exercise and reflexes and yelling.

You want to avoid problems and risks (park under lights, be smart, etc..)
    If you can flee that is best. I've used this live on the street when confronted. Harder for women though given what you wear...
    Project confidence.
    If you have to fight, then it has to be ingrained in you and quick. If you can learn some basic stuff like poking, kicks, breaking free, etc.. that helps. but you don't want anyone getting that close.

I hear the Isreali is good...
    Lastly, maybe get a gun and learn to use it. or mace, but only helps in certain scenarios.

• Krav Maga is probably the best. There are other self-defence martial arts too, and many teach their own style. You're always best training in a class that is reality-based, as in training for the street.

The next best thing if you can't find any of those or if they're too pricey as they can be quite expensive, especially if you want good coaching (there are a lot of phoneys cashing in on the popularity of "reality-based training" recently who have no idea what they're actually talking about) sport martial arts such as boxing, muay Thai and BJJ are good. The only thing is with those you have to adapt them to the street (the reason I suggested a reality based system) because while they teach you good techniques they're all bound by rules e. g. no ground fighting in muay Thai, no striking in BJJ. Out of all of those muay Thai is best. It's good to know some BJJ too to be able to fight on the ground if it ends up there but you always want to avoid being on the floor in a self-defence situation where you're on a concrete floor and the attacks might have a friend ready to boot you in the head (I've seen this happen to a very good BJJ fighter who was beating the other guy until that point).

Avoid traditional martial arts like karate, japanese ju-jitsu, ninjitsu etc. They don't usually have much real world application.

• All martial arts are good, but they are different. Each has its strengths.
    I have been a student of Shotokan karate for a long time. I began with Judo, when I was a kid.
    A lifetime of experience, which includes mixed martial arts tournaments, would lead me to recommend Shotokan karate (which is why I am a student of it). After you reach black belt, introduce a bit of Jiu Jitsu cross training. Jiu Jitsu offers better solutions for one-on-one up-close grappling and situations in which you may want a non-lethal technique.
    Shotokan karate will equip you to engage multiple assailants, or go one on one, and will give you both lethal and non-lethal options.

• First get some pepper spray. Mine is from Sabre and max strength. One for your purse and one for in the console of your car.
    When you choose a class, pick one that stresses awareness and avoidance. . . not just some "kick 'em in the balls" class (though admittedly that's an effective move.
    Taking a "judicial use of lethal force" firearms training class would be the optimal if your state allows you to exercise your 2nd amendment right. You will learn how never to be a victim.

• After reading all the comments I can safely assume almost all of them have never trained any form of self defence and have no idea what they're talking about? Muay Thai? Jiu Jitsu? Krav Maga? Unless you're as strong as a large male and ready to jump around like like rabbit on cocaine those are out of the question. What you need is a quick close quarters self defene system designed to incapacitate much larger opponents without requiring significant physical strength and perfect physical condition. In short - Wing Chun. It was invented by a small chinese lady for self defense. I've seen a 5 ft 2 teenage girl bring down a 250 pound gorilla in 10 seconds flat. Enough said.

• Aikido, it includes no strikes all redirects and judo style locks and tosses. It includes also staff use and sword training too. You will be able to throw a 200 pound man on his rear if you learn it.

• Martial arts isn't the best for women. A strong man can still over power them. Learn how to spot patterns and read people and keep out of possible dangerous scenarios. Then for last resort, have and know how to use a firearm, then as a secondary last resort, know how to use your hand and feet as weapons. There is nothing that can make you 100% safe at all times but a gun is the best equalizer for a woman.

• P. S. the best self defense method is never having to defend yourself in the first place. That's why learning about patterns and how to read people is extremely important. As well as knowing how to stay out of bad scenarios.

• then what's with all the police brutality?

• You've never heard of body language? People give clues about what they're thinking. If they're lying, up to no good, etc. It's not 100% obviously. It doesn't matter. Do what makes you feel good. It's not going to affect me at all so have at it. I was trying to give my advice for the question you asked but it looks like you already decided what you're going to do. I'm not interested anymore. Good luck.

• For self defense, and considering you're not a kid anymore, you should try Krav Maga. It is the best for self defense in critical situations and it is not a Martial Art.

• combine Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

• You might find clubs or courses specifically for self defence, especially for ladies. They take parts of several disciplines and combine them. My mum used to belong to one years ago until she moved.

• 60 meter indoor sprint.

• are you telling me to learn to run faster?

• If the other guy doesn't respect the rules your black belt won't help you.

• neither will being a fast runner. I want to learn real self defense not how to run away. though I guess being able to run AFTER I get free from someone restraining me would help. I'd prefer knowing how to get free and knock him out though. being asthmatic, I don't see running as a good strategy.

• Depends on what you think would suit you. Punches and striking? Karate. Grapples and throws? Tai Kwon Do. Want to subdue your opponent without causing physical harm to them? Aikido.

Read up on as many of the martial arts as you can and make up your own mind. It mostly comes down to personal taste and if you're willing to apply yourself or not. I don't know any at all, but I will find the days to learn one someday.

• Taekwondo is not grappling and throws.

• Lol then his instructor sucked

• There are a lot of bad TKD schools. It's not a slam on the art, just how it's often taught.

• Tae Kwon Do is pretty popular and good for standup. But Jiu Jitsu will teach you how to submit and even knockout an opponent on the ground. Kind of need to know a bit of both.
    Also, find a good gym/dojo that will teach you with street smarts, not just how to do it. Sparring a lot helps train the motor skills.

• Brazilian Jiu Jitsu would be the most recommended.

• I learned karate built myself up to 3rd degree black belt it is a good thing to learn

• If it's self defense against a guy, a simple nut cracker will do, but if it's a girl you will need to learn to fight such as martial arts as the nut cracker don't work on woman.

• 0|0
  • If you want to go all out, KRAVMAGA is the best.

• Really? Cause I heard that training in that doesn't include any sparring because you want to "connect with what's in your opponent's heart."

• @HeWhoPonders lol no

• Take a firearm class

• cowards way out. I'll pass

• @Asker lol, so cops are all cowards? I'm sorry but no amount of jiu-jitsu training will allow a young woman to fight off 3 200lb males who commit crimes for a living. It's fantasy.

• Poke people in the eyes

• I did Judo when I was younger, it's primarily a self-defense sport. But it's not for learning how to beat people up, then you need to do something else.

• Deez guns ^^ ha got em. Ha got em

• KravMaga

• Fruit Ninja

• Buy some weapons.

• If it is legal in your area, and this is about protection, I would say to learn to use a taser or some other weapon you can carry. This will give maximum protection, within the shortest amount of time.

If you want something more hand to hand I would suggest grappling, or wrestling of some sort. All those fancy kicks and punches you are taught in a lot of other forms of fighting don't mean anything the moment someone gets close enough to grab you and starts manipulating your body.

• Try Krav Maga i haven't tried it but i've heard it focuses on hand to hand and they have great methods to defend against weapons such as guns, knives, et cetera. It could definitely save your life or the life of someone else.

• Krav Maga is good. Not martial arts but it's definitely taught specifically for self defense now. If you want to do an actual martial art BJJ or Muay Thai/Boran is good.

• it doesn't have to be a martial art, I just don't know what their called

• It is a martial art. The original martial arts were all used in real combat, that's where the word "martial" comes from. You could argue that Krav Maga is more of a. martial art than muay Thai and BJJ which are sports.

• @AdamThomas "The original martial arts were all used in real combat" That's true but that isn't mean that is the standard or definition. Muay Thai is a sport you're right but it's based off Muay Boran which was strictly a martial art no competition. BJJ derived from Judo which derived from Ju jitsu it's a martial art foremost and a sport second. Krav Maga is military self defense. It's not codified so it's not a martial art.

What Girls Said 6

• karate
    judo
    tae kwon do

• I did Muay Thai and Nin-Jutsu for a while and I feel quite well prepared to kick some asses lol

• start with the basic lessons first then I would suggest you go to a few different martial arts classes and see what suits you and go from there

• My uncle let me shoot his 12 gauge shotgun at his farm last summer. I'd be pretty comfortable defending myself with that.

• systema, krav maga, muay thai, or any of the kung fu styles

• karate