What do you think of buying a used couch?

i personally think it's gross. i have no interest in buying a used couch or mattress ever. but my friend, who i am going to be sharing an apartment with starting this summer, thinks it's a good way to save money. am i just being a germophobe? i just think buying something cushiony like that that's been used is so nasty :/

• buying a used couch is a great way to save money!
  • i guess i would do it to save money but it's not ideal
  • don't care about the money, that's gross

Most Helpful Guy

• I've bought almost entirely used furniture in my life. That includes used mattresses. You've never stayed in a motel or hotel in a bed that hundreds of others have slept in? Have you never eaten at a restaurant sitting in chairs that hundreds have sat in, eating from dishes that hundreds have eaten from? You've never ridden on a bus / plane / train? For that matter, what about the carpet in that apartment - you aren't gonna sit or lay on the floor?

New furniture is way over priced in my opinion. The only new furniture I've bought was a clearance sale with a hefty discount.

Expecting to start life with brand new furniture is called being spoiled. Better to save the money and invest it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I don't think I would ever buy a used couch unless I knew the person selling it, because then I could never be able to sit or lay on it without thinking about what someone else could have done on that couch. Sex, vomit, urine, spills, pets, etc. That is just not ideal to me, you are sitting in a lifetime of someone else's germs.

What Guys Said 33

• do you sit on couches when you go to people's houses?
    congrats. you have experienced a couch that has been used before.
    don't by one that is broken or covered in stains and mold. get one that looks like a couch you'd sit on without thinking twice about it if you were visiting someone and it was there.
    If the idea that someone has owned it before bothers you, buy some febreeze and febreeze the shit out of it.

• You can disinfect it, thrift stores by law have to treat upholstered items for before selling them especially mattresses.

• True story. I stayed in England for a bit. I bought this used sleeper couch at a charity shop to sleep on for a few weeks. Anything that is bought there is supposed to be cleaned. Anyway after a nights sleep, I woke up and had itchy spots on my ear and left side of the face. We thought it was an allergy of coming to a new country. We got rid of old pillow cases and old everything. It progressed and got worse and worse. After a few weeks of going to the doctor We identified that it was cat mites living in the couch. When I slept, they got drawn to the heat and started eating me. hence the itchy spots. At that point my face was very red and yeah... was bad. Threw that couch away and we got free stuff from the charity shop as an apology. Never buy an old couch!!!

• omg omg omg :/ that sounds awful!

• nooooooo ahah
      Had bed bugs once... that's once too many, I tells ya. Fuckin NYC hotels with deceptively nice-looking lobbies.

That said, I actually prefer to sleep on the floor in new and unfamiliar places. (I also like REALLY hard beds.) So, this isn't a problem for me lol

• definitely a little sketchy but it would depend on who is selling it.

• I personally would not buy a used couch unless it's from someone I know and even then id be a little iffy about it.

You won't save much, its a one time cost. Coffee Tables, dressers, dinner table - things like that you can go with used. But I agree with you - mattress and couch, nope

• A used mattress I'd probably never do except if I were really in trouble :o
    A used couch maybe yes, but of course not if it's stained in any way. It must be in a good condition and look clean.
    Than I would consider it :D

• Used mattress is definitely a no-go for me, but couches? I can't be so sure.

I've always wanted an original Eames lounge somewhere, and I would absolutely kill for one of the original batch of Barcelona chairs that was sat on by the King of Spain.

• Nope not doing that. I'll save up for a new couch, one that's my own.
    I never buy anything used anymore.

• Depends on where you buy it from. If they bought it from a store that specializes in used furniture then it's probably a good idea because a couch is not an investment so buying new is unnecessary.

• For a bed mattress, I am either buying it new or buying it used from select family members.

• I would have to check it with a black light for hidden stains, at least. And I would try to sniff it for smells.

• I mean, if you're scared of germs then it's not a good idea. Also consider that used furniture and stuff may be infested with bed bugs and you're pretty sure you don't want these...

• my friend's argument is that bed bugs are more common in mattresses but still! lol why take the risk?

• Nah, he's wrong. Bed bugs can be anywhere and also consider that they might use furniture to lay their eggs. I say, it's an extremely bad idea to get used furniture from people.

• I get ypur point, I do. But you sit on random couches all the time. At my fraternity, we had "dead grandmother furniture". We broke couches somewhat often but always seemed to have some from a members grandmother who recntly passed :)

• Fabreeze the living hell outta that sumbitch then park your precious ass right on it :P

• Yo I followed your profile years ago and you legit ask nonstop questions to this day. I actually thought yo were a bot for a long ass time. Your psyche might have actually grown in healthily dependant in this website. Just thought I'd say that. Nit to say that you don't offer wonderful advice but like... you run every life choice through here. I could write a book about you if I wanted. Shit's cray... and not all that safe.

• i use this website for outside opinions on stuff. do i ask friends and family? of course. but they're going to take my side. i like to go for unbiased opinions on things just to know if other people are thinking like me. i don't actually make my decisions based on this website. and i would have to argue i do not actually ask nonstop questions about all my life decisions on here but you wouldn't know that because you only see what i do ask. but thanks for your concern?

• good point. kind of a stupid post on my part.

• good as long as it passed the sniff test.

• I would do it. I would have to check it with a UV light though lol.

• i would to save money given its in a great condition

• Gross. I've done a LOT of things on couches, it's just not sanitary.

• a good way to save money

• Nope, I don't want other people bodily fluids on my couch. I'd rather buy a new one.

• Clean it yourself. If it's still in good condition i don't see why not

• 2 words

Bed

Bugs.

• I got my current couch from a friend (who got it from a friend) 12 years ago. For free.

Just get it from someone trustworthy and spend some time cleaning it.

• as long as it is clean it is ok

• I guess I could cum around to the idea if it were a really nice couch.

• put a mattress sheet on it.

• There's a lot of trapped farts in those cushions! Lol

• You sit on peoples couches when you go over to their houses don't you? How is that any different from sitting on a used couch. It isn't like you can't clean the couch or anything. Even a mattress isn't any different from staying at a hotel. If you clean them properly to begin with, then that should take care of most problems.

When it comes down to it, you have to look at your budget, and make a decision based on that. For a lot of people it is either a used couch or nothing.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 8

• Our couches at home were used couches. It's best to be able to inspect them and everything so you know what exactly you're getting before purchasing them.

• I have a mortal fear of bedbugs so no way would I ever.

• I'm a germophobe too! Yes it's not ideal but couches that have not been used are so expensive nowadays! We just got a used couch not to long ago and I steamed cleaned the sh*t out of it using 90% alcohol to disinfect it plus 3 kinds of disinfecting soaps. Even then I put plastic on and a cover over that. Lol

• buy the second hand couch and steam clean it then vacuum it and it should be fine. I would not buy a second hand mattress though.

• You're going to have a rough time being 23 lol

• I know I did it when I first moved out into my own place. Thinking back now I would never buy used.

• gross i ll never do it, who care about money. That's disgusting