Apparently I suddenly need to activate windows after I've been using it for years, what the hell?

and when I type in the product key to verify windows, it says it's wrong. So confused!

Most Helpful Guy

• Sounds like a key OS file got lost of corrupted, and now Windows forgot that it is already registered. You said "Product Key," not "Activation Key." Which tells me that it's trying to reinstall itself. Sounds like your OS dun goofed big time.

What Guys Said 5

• There was a MS update that checked to see if your Windows OS is the genuine thing. It might be that, although that update came out a year or two ago. Has your machine been upgraded recently? That might cause it to want to re-activate. Can you boot into safe-mode?

If it's a Windows 7 laptop, sometimes the keys are on a sticker underneath or in the battery compartment.

• yes!

• What version are you on?
    And can you upgrade yourself OS?

• Did you buy it? or got it pre-installed with PC? Was it branded PC?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 0