Is a two week notice worth it?

I've thought this question to myself, but I need more advice please!

I'm working at PetSmart, and I'm a bit iffy on what I'm doing. I'm a cashier, and I love customer service. I love meeting new faces and talking to everybody. Never have I ever thought about being a cashier. I was a bit insecure about myself. The management at PetSmart absolutely SUCKS! I got accused so many times on a lot of things. A few weeks ago, I got accused of taking a $100. I never even took money out of the drawer. I don't have the keys. The managers do! I count money to my customers. No matter how big or small the amount is. It's annoying, but I'm keeping myself safe and making the customers happy.
People tell me to talk to the managers, but I'm letting it slide off of my shoulders because I never took any cash in the first place. Out of my paycheck, I got $100 taken out. I was absolutely PISSED.
I also want to become part of PetCare at PetSmart since we're low on PetCare. I can also be a cashier, but I want to be more active. I've talked to my managers about this, and they did absolutely nothing.
Last night, I had this couple come in. They were hard to understand. I checked them out, and their total was $20.83. They gave me a $50. I gave them cash back ($29.17) They checked my amount and they wanted $20.83. I had to tell them how they gave me a $50. They kept telling me I was wrong, so I got my manager. My manager made me put all the cash back in the drawer. Then he got confused. So my manager was like "Just get a $20 and a $10." I told him if I did that, my register would be short. He made me do it anyways.. Urgh!

I graduate soon, and I thought about saving up until the end of May. We also might be moving to a state, and I don't know if I'm moving out or not. Is this two week notice worth it? I'm frustrated.

I love retail, but I want to be moving around more. I can't even move when I'm on register. I asked to be on PetCare so many times.. They didn't do anything.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't honestly. I used to work at a SMG and it started off great, but I soon realized it was shit. For one this SMG hired mostly minors to be food and drink runners, meaning that on weekday they could close and on top of that they did very little work anyway. They only wanted to stand around and do jack shit, but when you told management they did nothing yet had no problem treating the non minors like slaves.

I have no problem working, but when you see your coworkers standing around doing nothing instead of their job and management does nothing it really pissed you off. On top of that I was told after 3 month I would be put in the kitchen which is what I wanted. After 6 months nothing. Yet they kept hiring new kitchen people to fit spots. So after a while I started looking for a new job and waited until after I passed training before I up and quit on them. I never told them I quit I just never came back in. Best part is I had direct deposit so I never had to pick my last check.

• This was the only place I never gave two weeks before because it was the only place to ever treat me like shit before.

Most Helpful Girl

• The goal is to get a REFERRAL for future jobs.
    Thus IF 2 weeks notice gets one, then YES and if they won't give you a straight answer if this is a deal, then give 2 weeks notice anyway, file a copy of the letter to use with applications future in place of a referral if none is forthcoming. If the prospective employer phones the manager and he lies about "2 weeks", you have the letter to prove additional problems with that management.

Tip: USPS offers a service where they have to sign for this letter and give you the receipt as proof to others they got it

What Guys Said 7

• You should look into the employment laws in your state. In a lot of places it's illegal for a company to force an employee to pay for discrepancies in cash like that. Though a lot of companies still do it because most people just accept it and carry on.

Regardless of that, the two weeks notice is standard. If you give less than that, you cannot expect to use them as a reference. Though if they are thinking that you're skimming cash, even if you're not, then you might not want to use them as a reference anyway. It will depend a bit on what other experience you have on your resume.

• Leave that shit. You could do a two week thing if you think there's a CHANCE they'd give you a recommendation for another job... otherwise I'd say fuck them.

• Go work at PetCo (the other big chain store) instead, if you can? Or at least it is in my area. Like Home Depot and Lowes, it always seems like there are at least two retail chains.

Or is it just this particular PetsMart?

• Take it as part of the experiences life has for it. The most important thing are the lessons

• Two weeks notice is standard. Hell some people dont give amy

• When jobs let people go, and are laid off there's usually no notice given to the employee. And for that reason I don't give notice. I have enough references anyways.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• Have you been working there very long? If so, the two week notice would be worth it. You'll want a good reference from them when you apply for other jobs.

I'm not sure, but I think it's probably illegal for them to just take $100 out of your account. That's messed up.

• No. I have not been working there long. I've been there 3 months. I never dealt with customer service, and I actually like it. The management there just SUCKS.

• I'd say it's worth it. Cause listen.

If management is accusing you of doing these things, then you probably don't want them for a reference... 2 weeks is best and the "right" thing to do, but if you probably won't be using them as a reference anyway... you could just walk out. No matter how much you love customer service and PetSmart, if you become part of PetCare there, you'll still be stuck in that management. I'd recommend transferring to a different PetSmart and go from there (or going to a different pet store, OR a different retail store). Cause if you try transferring later, your current store might not give you a good word...

And like someone else said, look into the laws. They usually aren't allowed to dock your pay like that.