Asking permission for artwork?

When do you need to ask permission to use or modify someone's artwork? I found a really cool image that I simply want to insert a song lyric over the top of, for a forum signature, but do you need to ask permission?

I will NOT be selling or claiming the image as my own obviously. Just using it as a backdrop for a sig.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should always ask permission.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, you have to ask for permission. Always.

What Girls Said 1

• Always. You always ask for permission.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes if the photo is either copy right protected or water marked it is against the law to use or alter it without written permission from the owner

• Are you going to ask the songwriter for his permission?

The answer is no, to both, just make sure you credit them both and spell the names right.

• You can use anyones work for any purpose as long as you are not trying to claim ownership of it or make a profit.

Copyright laws are slightly different in every state/province so you should look up the copyright laws in your area.

• I think if it´s for personal or educative purposes, it´s not necessary. Only if it´s for lucrative purposes.