In CA can you get in trouble for ignoring the summons?

I received a jury duty summon and I have to show up on May 16th. I heard people been ignoring them for years without any consequences, then I hear a few has got caught. If I ignore the summon, can they garnish my wages and put a freeze on my bank account for not showing up?

Most Helpful Guy

• I ignored it and nothing happened. I never heard of anything being done to anyone else either, but it's possible.

I don't know what has changed since I was there. But even a judge said that their system was messed up and they were trying to change it. But basically California calls in WAY more people than other states because it's easier in Cali for lawyers to dismiss potential jurors. That means the pool of jurors needs to be much larger. So people get called so often they just start ignoring it.

What I always thought happened, is if you show up one time, you end up on a sucker list and get called every damn year. Unlike some states where you are only on call for two weeks or so, in California it's the entire year (unless they changed things).

I got tired of being called all the time, and taking a half day off work, only to be dismissed. I just quit going. After I quit going, they stopped called me.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can get in trouble with any court in the USA if you don't go.

What Guys Said 4

• Just show up. Yes, ignoring them can lead to a punishment. They are a civic responsibility. You have rights, but because you have rights, you have obligations as well.

They send out a summons to hundreds of people. A jury needs 12. That means, chances are, YOU WILL NOT BE PICKED. You might not even need to go. If you do go, and they ask you, there are ways of getting out of it, like saying that you can not be impartial. One black woman I used to work with told the judge point blank "I will go against any white person, and support any black person, no matter the evidence." That, obviously, is a bad person to have on a jury, and she was dismissed.

asked her about that, by the way. she said she mostly just said it so that they would not pick her, because she hates the idea of being on a jury. she hinted though that she wasn't ENTIRELY making that up, which bugged me, but whatever.

• Yes you can they suspend your drivers license

• And garnish my wages as well?

• Okay! Thank you very much!! :-)

• You are so welcome and good luck

• You could get an arrest warrant issued. They wouldn't garnish wages.

• You can be charged for contempt of court. They may not come get you; but if you ever get pulled over, your warrant will come up, and off to jail you go.

What Girls Said 0