Why French people are so skinny?

Most Helpful Guy

• skinny? I wouldn't say french people are skinny. I've been there and men look pretty ok to me, not skinny.
    and women are petite in size so they shouldn't weigh a ton.
    there's also the lifestyle. having a car in Europe is a common thing but public transportation is more cost efficient and promoted by local authorities. So Europeans walk to and back work.
    even around the office building I work in, there are lots of places where you can buy baked food which is healthy..
    I currently eat junk food once every two weeks. Coke is the only thing I'm not proud of and I drink about 1 glass per day.
    We had managers from denmark (shift +d not working) visiting. Huge people in size, but a healthy weight.
    it's still something i'm proud of about Europe... we somehow did not give in to all those chemicals and shitty food. no offence.
    US is trying to get EU to sign the free trade deal which will soften the standards of food quality imports into our region. greedy people trying to make money at the expense of our health. hopefully EU will be smart enough to tell them to f*&^ off.

Most Helpful Girl

• maybe they eat better than americans

• yes, certainly but they are even skinnier than Korean

• In my book of school and in internet

• ya I doubt it is reliable

What Guys Said 9

• Continental Europeans are generally pretty skinny, not just French people (well, maybe except from Germans). If you come to Switzerland, you will hardly see any overweight person whatsoever. The reason for this is that we both (French and Swiss and many other Europeans) like to eat healthily and MORE IMPORTANTLY we work out a lot in our daily lives. For example Americans drive everywhere with their cars. If you go to Paris or Zurich or Amsterdam or Kopenhagen or Vienna or Prague or Stockholm, you'll see lots of folks riding their bikes. Out of 4 best friends I have, only 1 even owns a car! Everyone else, including myself, uses their feet, bike and public transportation. In my case, I almost exclusively use my bike. I use it to go shopping, to visit my friends, to visit my parents, to go to the train station etc. Also, many Swiss people love hiking and swimming. It's national leisure activities that almost everyone does, not just young people. When you go to the mountains, you see lots of 60+ people climbing crazy mountain trails where you look at them and think "how the hell did this old guy make it all the way up here?" In the case of French people, they don't do quite as much exercise but they eat very healthily. Fast food is considered lowly and peasant-ish in France and thus, not a lot of people eat it. In other words, it's a mix of eating healthily and working out, though I think the latter is stronger over all. And what's important about this working out is that we don't go to the gym like Americans would but instead we include it in our normal lives. For example a traditional Sunday activity for families with kids here in Switzerland is to go for a 1-2 hour walk out in the forest, maybe climb a nearby hill. My parents went hiking with me even when I was just 5 or 6 years old. When I lived in America and I wanted to hit the gas station at the corner, there was a friend of mine who constantly offered to give me a ride! It was literally half a mile down the road! I kept telling him that I don't mind walking, in fact I ENJOY walking. He just couldn't understand that, which I still find pretty crazy. I've been to France and many other countries and I haven't experienced that kinda mindset anywhere else. The only place in the whole US where I found people including physical activity as a normal part of their daily lives was New York City.

• American are pretty lazy haha. They have a lot if drive stuff and can use their car everywhere, oil is less expensive in us than in Europe

• I think their culture emphasizes the skinny look, even more so than America but I don't know for sure I haven't even been there. I mean even the men seem to be into the androgyny thing I mean guys they dont even lift..

• Yes, european guys look girly in a ways, they wear a lot of tight clothes

• And they wear those 3/4 shorts, the man-capris lol
      just different cultural norms

• Yes, i see some like that. They wear short from little kids, that's surprise me and I see some who were shave

• They dont eat crappy Takeout food like we usa guys do

• I never realized such thing.

• Are they, or are you working on a media stereotype?

• they are skinny a lot than American. Even their size clothes is different a S American is a M / L in france

• Just about everyone is lighter than some Americans. Supersize me! - lol

• American is one of the biggest people in the world

• french people are quite close to the european average. we just don´t eat so much shit.

• french is a lot skinnier than English

• Yeah that's true but if you compare it to US average, the European average differences are tiny.

• I don't talk about Europe I talk about france. and with us he have a big difference

• Yes, Im sure they are skinnier than Africans or Asians especially.

• compared to americans, everyone is skinny.

• coz they are romantic lol

What Girls Said 4

• http://i.imgur.com/XZ2hvjB.jpg
    i think they are skinny compared to UK or America

• They eat healthier and walk more often.

• Because we actually eat healthy food and exercice a lot. I'm not too skinny though.

• I think American food are too fatty/unhealthy.

• So there are two countries in the world. France and USA?

• @MrSalik Yup