Why do special forces soldiers have to be unidentifiable?

My fiance is from the military and is in special forces... just today he mention that if he dies in mission he have to be unidentifiable by the other party. Why so?

He used to give his dog tags to his parents... now its me...
Those dog tags are used for identification purposes...

Most Helpful Guy

• I know one person he is my online gaming partner and and ex-milatary of US.. I think he can tell the answer or your fiancee can..

• Please help me ask him...

• Ahhh... thank you... finally a logical answer

• Thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• My fiancée is a navy seal- no I'm not kidding- no I'm not going to give specifics.
    If he says he can't talk to you about it he's a fucking liar. there are times he won't be able to tell you were he's going or what he did, but everything else, especially what happens if he died... Yeah he can tell you that. Sorry, are you positive he is actually sf? Many a woman has been tricked before. I have spent many hours with my fiancee's co-works and at his workspace. Have you?

• I did go to his workspace but when he have to go on mission... he can't tell me details

• Opsec
      They can't compromise the mission

• Ahh... okay... thanks

What Guys Said 8

• Special forces do things that can be sensitive politically.

Hypothetical: If he's in a country doing things that could be grounds for starting a war, he can't be identified by them. If they can't prove the US was doing whatever it is he does, then they can't start the war.

This is included in the 'special' part of the special forces.

• if you are a soldier, you have deadly enemies. you could get in a situation where you make the "enemy" want to take revenge on you and your family. this is why you don´t want them to know who you are.

• Because if they are in a different country where they are not supposed to be they cannot be identified as U. S Military
    If he Dies the Military will make up a reason that he died and give you a weighed down casket and a folded flag

• Yes... he told me if he's ever gone it will be because of a 'car accident'...

• And he's going to be promoted soon as a squadron leader... I'm worried at times because I've seen him suffer gunshot wounds...

• He's still very fit and intends to stay until he promote general...

• How about you just ask him instaed of here?

• he can;t answer anything

• That's bull. Obviously he could explain you WHY he needs to be identifiable to the enemy.

• I don't know... he used to give his dogtags to his parents... now its me...

• So that the Muslims cannot target their families.
    Doh!

• what you mean by the other party?

• the enemy

• there could be a lot of reasons to that, it could be because of that he was with them trying to be the enemy with the enemy like a undercover. and if the enemy found out that he died and he was in special forces then it could be a problem

• Because, it may be a mission "off the books" In other words "they weren't there".

• is there such things in military?

• Yes... there are. Especially now with the war on terror.. they may send people secretly where we have no official presence.

• So that they can be sent to do things that are illegal or war crimes and not be traced back to the country of origin. It's called deniability. This way your boyfriend can be sent to commit a crime somewhere he should not be and if he is caught, injured or killed he is left to suffer the consequences alone and receives no support while the government who sent him will deny any responsibility.

What Girls Said 0