Do do cars really need ethonal to run?

im not good with cars I know how to change a tire oil and my mirror. I know gas only has 10% of ethonal but does gas need that ethonal to run

0|0
3|11

Most Helpful Girl

• No actually ethanol is something that only came about recently.

0|1
    0|0
    • I did a little checking ethanol added to gas started in the late 80s to the early 90s.

Most Helpful Guy

• the idea behind ethanol was that it would be a fuel made locally, so we would not be importing oil, and that it would hopefully burn cleaner than oil, and be cheaper.

A car, or anything else gasoline powered, can run on pure gasoline, or pure ethanol. Or any mixture.
    However, despite their intentions with making ethanol, the fact is it is a bad product. The more ethanol that an engine uses, the shorter its life span, compared to and equal work load under gasoline.
    It is also not nearly as cheap to produce as they hoped, and does not burn as cleanly as they hoped. And because something like a third of US farmland is devoted to corn for ethanol use, that means there is that much less farmland to put towards food, which is why some food prices have been going up.

Ethanol is a BAD PRODUCT that is used because people THINK it is better than gas, and because the amount of money that the governments dumps on states who make is it so huge that if they try to stop the flow and end ethanol, the states that grow it would absolutely lose their shit.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Ethanol is a gas "substitute" but it's not as efficient as the petroleum mix and has a propensity to clog up the fuel filter making the engine work hard and go through more gas so whether or not it's actually pollution is up for debate.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah. Just some encouraging words will do.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Most internal combustion engines were designed to run on gasoline, a complex mix of organic hydrocarbons, alkanes, alkenes, xylenes, and others. Ethanol burns, but not like gasoline.
    Ethanol is a 'filler' like soy in sausages. It WAS cheaper, and could fill part of the volume of 'gasoline' and still work, almost as efficiently, maybe, but not really.
    Many cars now have the ability to use 'alternate' fuels, like ethanol, and others, but they usually don't get nearly as good mileage with these, and the cost maybe doesn't offset the utility. . .

0|1
    0|0
  • Ethanol has only half the energy potential of petrol, so the more that is added to petrol the more fuel that the engine will use.
    By way of example, where I live a 10 per cent ethanol blend is available. Because of the lesser energy potential of ethanol, a vehicle would use 5 per cent more fuel.
    If more than 10 per cent ethanol is added to petrol, engines have to be modified accordingly.
    Seals, in particular, may need to be replaced, because some seal materials do not react well to ethanol.
    The biggest single problem is that ethanol sucks in water from the atmosphere like a sponge. This can result in rapid and significant water contamination of the fuel. To avoid this, use an upper-cylinder lubricant and fuel treatment that will break the water into sub-droplet particles, so that it can pass through the injectors and be burnt off.

0|0
    0|0
  • Runs better without it acutally, ethanol has ess volumetric efficiency than gasoline. More ethanol=worse mileage.

0|1
    0|0
  • cars can run on anything combustible provided the materials which the engine is comprised off are resistant to said fuel.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it doesn't need it. Ethanol is a renewable resource whereas fossil fuel gasoline is not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No ethanol is used only in Brazil and it's still not pure ethanol it's a hybrid mixture.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd pretend to have something substantial to add but cars are not my thing :P I know here in 'straya only E10 has ethanol in it and is a tad cheaper because of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yepp

0|0
    0|0
  • No it doesn't. In a lot of places you can still buy gas with no ethanol. Ethanol is suppose to be a way to lessen the amount of actual fuel that we use, but a lot of engines don't do well with it.

In America we use corn ethanol and it is heavily subsidized by the government to make it affordable. and doesn't really do any good. The amount of energy to grow the corn, and convert it to fuel pretty much uses up any advantage we would have gotten from using it. However sugar ethanol has worked for many countries that have a climate where they can grow sugar cane. That is why we thought corn ethanol might work for us.

Now there is such a large industry around corn ethanol it would hurt the economy for the government to stop supporting it, even though ti doesn't work.

0|0
    0|0