Is anyone else sick of cop/FBI/related job, lawyer, and doctor shows?

is no other profession interesting too hollywood. it seems like every new drama is about one of these or some sort of lame recycled conspiracy. it's getting on my damn nerves. GRRRRR!

• yes, sick of it
  • no, give me more
  • I don't watch tv/netflix/Hulu/amazon/whatever else

Most Helpful Guy

• What I really hate are "reality" shows that have nothing to do with reality. How many of us really are out on a remote island fighting for our lives (with a film crew catching it all)? Especially if we do it all naked. Now there is realilty f1or you. NOT

• yea, I don't actually watch TV (just netflix) so luckily I never even see anything about them nowadays.

• @Curmudgeon game shows don't count as reality tv

• But what are "Big Brother", "Survivor", "The Amazing Race", and "The Apprentice", but game shows? They are contests for prizes, with non-actors (although many are aspiring actors).

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I am. There are too many series about that. I think it's time to start doing something different.

What Guys Said 29

• Mainly the doctor's shows where the doctors and nurses spend more time solving their love problems than doing their job.

• This trend of "recycling what has worked in the past " started in the great recession when networks and film studios were playing it conservative due to low profits.

Now that the economy has improved, I would like to see television and film take more risks and create fresh tv/movie series. 📹

• I'm inbetween. I want better shows than the ones that they have.

• The constant cop shows annoy me. There are countless cop shows that normally have some kind of slight twist. Blue Bloods is about one family, Law & Order shows the trial, Bones is about forensics, Criminal Minds is about the criminals mental state, Forever has an immortal medical examiner and Unforgetable has a woman with a perfect memory but they're all basically the same 'who-dunit?' type of show. Elementary is good though. :P

The Doctor shows are usually just about relationships and shows absurdly good looking people spending too much time having sex rather than studying or working.

• Well, it's really hard to make shows out of hamburger flippers and ordinary people without turning them into a comedy or reality show.

There has been a raise in shows about politics since Battlestar Galatica ran out of CGI budget and had to op for talking instead. There has also been a beginning of high stakes business word ever since people started to dig economics (since 2009 actually).

When you think about it, it's simple to make an action show with cops since going the assassins/agent/spy or soldier route would either be expensive or boring (maybe except Burned Notice?). When you run out of explosive budgets, you can always op for more detective stuff and mysteries.

• I actually think a show with a bunch of burger flipper, or any other low paying shit job, could make a great drama. rosanne was about a lower class family and it was one of the most popular family dramas of all time

• @convo_king89 isn't that a comedy? and I'm pretty sure they're waitresses, not fast food workers.

• @thewanderingme well waitress in a fast food joint are fast food workers lol right

• If it is any consolation, these program waves are cyclical. There was a massive surge of cop and private eye TV shows in the 1970's right after the spurt of Westerns in the 1960's faded out. And in the 1980's, there was a spurt of "night time or prime time soap operas", when such heroine vs. homewrecker shows used to only be pitched to stay at home moms in the past.

Now some shows do build an almost generational following, as happened to "Law And Order", which overtook "Gunsmoke" as the longest running American TV drama.

• I love cop dramas. The problem being, the quality of shows have declined. I mean watch shows like.
    -The Wire (HBO)
    -Oz (HBO)
    -Narcos (Netflix)
    -Sons Of Anarchy (FX)
    To name a few, they're all pretty damn good. Especially The Wire, which I highly recommend just about to anyone. Groundbreaking stuff.

• The purpose of such television shows is not to entertain. Rather, it is to indoctrinate the population into having trust and confidence in the mercenary agents of the state (the police); as well as to exercise a form of Pavlovian conditioning to programme the population to behave in a certain way.

• I probably don't watch more than 5-6 hours TV per week.

• I don't watch much tv so nope :)

• Why don't they make a show about people who work in a toilet paper factory? Don't they have interesting lives too? Just sayin'. lol

• lol, that could be good. why not? why must we watch only upper middle class families on tv?

• I see we aren't the only one's that's noticed this and yes we are sick of it.

• seriously, outside of teen dramas (which I stopped enjoying in my 20's) that's all there seems to be on TV for dramas. even comedies seem to sick to the same stuff

• I know that's why my TV stays turned off about 90% of the time. And the only other shows that come of are full sexual references and cheap shots throughout and they're not even funny. Gone I think are the days of good family comedy shows and entertainment.

• I turn to the brits for comedy. they've always done it better anyway. but Americans have always done drama best

• There have been other professions featured in TV shows - airlines, firefighters, bus drivers, taxi drivers. What would YOU like to see?

• which ones were about airlines and taxi drivers?

• I loved wings! but that's old

• I find that reality shows about these professions are better than dramas - the dramas tend to just be yet another show about who fucked whose spouse, except it happens to take place in a hospital/law firm/slaughterhouse/ball pit/trampoline factory/whatever, with the occasional 'oh wait, we have jobs too behind mindless rutting like dogs in heat' episode where they actually get professional.

• Yes. I don't even like cops since occupy wall street. Most of them are just dumb hired goons. Lawyers, I don't know how anyone can like them, but I guess that's the nature of mythology. Doctors, I agree got boring, and it's also mythological, because incompetent doctors that never get penalized are very common (in the US), but at least then you can pretend that some independent super doctor exists, like Dr. House.

• It is to the point where I watch a couple of movies a week and that is it! I don't even have cable or any networks. Just netflix and I choose what I feel like watching.

Now the nice weather is here, I tend to be outside more!

• yea, I just use netflix. I've gotten too used to being inside for the winter. still haven't started taking advantage of the nice weather

• I was making new ones for myself for down at the lake.

• Heavily sick of doctor and cop shows. Lawyer shows don't seem as common. There's really only suits and law and order which has been on forever.

• What I miss are shows like Psych and Burn Notice. They stood out

• I'm sick of all the paternity test/lie decorators. I'm wondering where they keep finding those people. Getting a job on the Muray show must come with complete job security

• I hate zombie movies too

• Actually u could simply switch channels

There r millions of things to watch so u don't HAVE to complain about this one! Someone DID write it, you know!

• cool story, bro. there are a gazillion fucking tv shows. watch game of thrones or something :P

• The Wire was, Prison Break, and Dexter were good. Can't think of any other's I've watched more than once or twice.

• Showtime has some great shows that aren't in those categories. Ray Donovan, House of Lies, Billions and Californication are all excellent and not cops, lawyers or doctors.

• friends was rather successful.

• that's old. I've seen it. got bored eventually. at this point that show doesn't do it for me anymore.

• Then why not find a new hobby if tv is getting lame? Well it's always been lame

• No they're pretty entertaining

• My tv only comes on when there's a game on. So I don't know.

• they should make a show about a shoe salesman, thats what i call drama

• No because I don't watch those kinds of shows; and frankly very little from Hollywood. I much, much prefer British comedies.

• I like it only because I plan on being a lawyer but not a court lawyer so all my competition falls into the hype and all want to be criminal lawyers leaving me with more job openings for things like business law.

hehehehe*evil laugh*

• business lawyers never go to court? what if the company they work for gets sued?

• Different lawyers who specialize in that with the company will do it. I'll stick to business contracts.

What Girls Said 17

• I gotta admit, I'm a sucker for them. I will sit down and watch X Files, Criminal Minds or Suits marathons over and over again 😂 I guess people enjoy them because it's kinda guaranteed some drama and action and they're jobs most people couldn't do and don't necessarily understand the details of so getting to see that may be exciting.

• I think those professions seem naturally ~dramatic~ to tv writers so they keep writing about them. I don't mind them if they're good though. Like I really enjoy The Closer and Pushing Daisies was partly a cop show.

I watch whatever I find on the internet for free!

• I like some of those shows! Better Call Saul is one of my current favourites. House was my favourite show of all time, but yeah, I think they're being overdone right now. I'm also sick of reality shows and all the stupid singing competitions that are out now. I'm so glad American Idol is finally done, and I'll never have to see another ad for it ever again in my life.

There's so much else to watch from other genres though.

• I like better call saul too! I actually saw the first season of that before ever seeing breaking bad

• ... yea, there's good stuff in non drama genres. they just need to get better with drama programs.

• Eh, I loved House and I'm currently awaiting the next season of How To Get Away With Murder. There was an interesting show that used to be on about a bipolar woman who worked as a psychologist which was good but it got cancelled.

• Nope... =)

I like those, just need a new, fresh spin on it. I don't like all, just the entertaining ones.

• haven't watch tv in months but can recall almost any of them from the top of my head. Like i remember certain bit from all of them

• Oh god yes. Even terrible 00s reality TV was better than this bloody mess.

• I watch Billions. It's about a billionaire hedge fund manager

• Nah, I live for those. Give me more!

• It's true that there is way too many of those kinda shows but I assume that that is what people watch which is why they're so popular

• I'm indifferent

• Doctors are sexy and mysterious. Imagine a psychologist hitting on their mentally ill patient it just wouldn't hold the same appeal PLUS it would probably be short lived.

• Not as much as I'm sick of those reality shows. BARFFF

• Nope. I watch Bones and Castle so..

• As a lover of Greys Anatomy, i disagree with this.

• I was a huge Mad Men fan, but haven't found anything new I like as much yet.