How to start a charitable organization?

I'm looking to start an organization to help confront the problem of teenage LGBTQA homelessness due to rejection and disownment by family due to sexuality or gender identity. I understand, at 15, that's impossible, but I would like to at least have a plan ready for when I'm an adult and able to start the charity.

i'd like my organization to be able to open up shelters specifically for LGBTQA teens, as well as provide counseling for teens in those struggling with sexuality and gender identity, be able to provide resources for those who are at-risk for homelessness due to sexuality or gender identity and help both those who are currently on the streets or still at home finish school, as those who are gay or transgender are 2/3 less likely to finish high school. Furthermore, I'd like to educate others about the issue of teen LGBTQA homelessness.

This is an issue close to my heart, as I'm a bisexual teen and many of my friends are LGBTQA, but I'm completely lost on how to start such an organization. Does anyone have any resources I can turn to, or any experience they can speak from? Any advie would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not one of those people who believes in harassing or hurting people who are gay or bi, but at the same time, those conditions are not natural or normal. I don't believe in working to accommodate an abnormality. I believe in teaching and helping but not through delusion.

• homosexuality is present in over 500 species, so I don't think it's unnatural. Plus, even if it's an abnormality, many people work each day to accommodate abnormalies such as autism and anxiety disorders.

Being bisexual and having friends that are LGBTQA, I've seen how bad things get when parents reject their children for being queer, and even if it is an abnormality, I want to do something so kids like us aren't left to fend for ourselves on the streets

• That's fine. People are allowed to respectfully disagree. Good luck with your future endeavors! 😊👍🏼

• Thank you 😊

Most Helpful Girl

• Since you are only 15, i would suggest first trying to make a club at school. Then you can gain support from some of your peers, and go from there.

• I'm homeschooled, so I can't do that

• it's just going to be really tough to get this organization going without any interested members. Anyone can apply for non-profit status, but you need some sort of club first in order to be able to do that. Maybe see if you can hold an informational meeting at the local library so you can find interested community members. You can discuss future events to spread awareness and raise money.

• Thank you 😊

What Guys Said 1

• I'm sure all five homeless gays would love that.

• 40% of homeless youth at LGBTQA, so if there's only 12 homeless people, then yes, all five homeless gays would love it

• Last time I checked children can't work. Besides, most homeless have jobs but are unable to afford housing with the little money they make being put towards food and transportation to their job

Thanks for the suggestion

• I was a corn detassler at twelve, and I worked at a hobby shop at fourteen.

What Girls Said 0