What do YOU think of the famous Feminist Anita Sarkeesian?

A very controversial figure today. What are your thoughts on Anita Sarkeesian?

• I approve of her message
  • I don't approve of her message
  • I don't care
  • I've never even heard of her

Most Helpful Girl

• First video I don't like the damsel in distress angle in most games. Which is why I hate princess peach with a great passion because she's annoying. I do not agree with the chick talking about princess Zelda being like some pathetic chick. Since Zelda is much stronger than peach and more capable of taking care of herself. Of course Zelda isn't the character you play as the main in the games. Link is the one who is having to learn everything. Zelda already KNOWS everything there is to know. Plus in skyward sword she went on her own separate journey finding out what she needed to know. Ganondorf only goes after Zelda because she always has some kind of power or object he's needing. It's not because she's a female at all, so any claims this chick makes about Zelda is 100% wrong. Plus link is always being knocked out in some way and someone else ends up saving him and wakes him up.

This chick is even more stupid for the fact that she doesn't count DS/3DS as real games. Which show's she doesn't truly give a damn about games. I don't believe she's a true gamer.

• She definitely is not a real gamer she admitted so in 2010 before she started making all these videos, but later she tried to play it off like she's been gaming since she was a kid.

Watch the 2nd video up there and you'll see. this woman has an agenda and doesn't want anyone criticizing it at all

• They should take away all the money they gave her and then tell her she's in debt for the money she had used. For lying about being a gamer when she couldn't give 2 shits about playing games.

• Thank you for mhg ^^

Most Helpful Guy

• I read about her in a take yesterday - I am not a gamer so I only have a vague idea about what the argument is about but this example is good for my point. The "Everything Is Sexist" idea is so obsessive and overbearing that it cheapens the ideal it is trying to achieve. Most people hear X/Y/Z is sexist, blah blah blah, how many of us will just skip to next article so that means something unjust and unfair may getting through unchallenged because people are bored with the "Everything is Sexist" argument.
    To back up my point I recall reading a book about when the Taliban first came to power in Afghanistan, western feminists were going crazy about the burka but the afghan women didn't really care about the burka, what really concerned them was being denied the right to an education but did western feminists listen no it was only the burka they wanted to talk about. The fact that Afghanistan went from one of the most highly educated female populations to zero education for women wasn't considered noteworthy when compared with the damn burka that some of the women wanted to wear anyway,

What Girls Said 14

• 0|1
  • She brings up some good points but I'm not that interested in what she has to say.
    As for sexism in video games. I don't know, I'm just tired of overly sexual female costumes. This is probably why I go for more kid friendly games, I'm not a fan of bouncing Z cups all over the place. But then again, sometimes though not as much as women, men are half naked and overly muscular to the point where they look more cloud like than human. But female nudity and sexuality bothers me more than male. Internalized misogyny? I don't know, but don't care.

• Where's a "she should be hit by a bus" option. I hate 3rd wave feminism.

• I don't know her and I didn't fully watch all of your videos but she seems to be pointing out the obvious. That female characters in video games or really any kind of media aimed at men are sexualised? I'm sure that doesn't come as news to you. That the damsel in distress is probably the most common plot for... well everything aimed at men, also shouldn't be news

Not saying that's a good thing or even ok, but by all means you couldn't call her extremist

• I don't like or agree with her on much.

• I've never even heard of her

• I've never heard of her toto 😅

• Don't know her

• I don t know her lol
    let her hate alone

• She's takes certain things to an extreme which isn't good.

• never heard of her and from the look of those videos, i don't want to.

• I don't know her and I don't care 😐

• unknown to me

• I think she has good points, but also has flaws and gets too feminist-y for me at times.

She gave a talk a while ago about what video game developers could do to have better representations of women in games, and when I read an article about it and saw what she was suggesting, I found a lot of it pretty reasonable actually.

She had 8 things in mind and they were:
    "1) Avoid the Smurfette principle (don't have just one female character in an ensemble cast, let alone one whose personality is more or less "girl" or "woman.")
    2) "Lingerie is not armor" (Dress female characters as something other than sex objects.)
    3) Have female characters of various body types
    4) Don't over-emphasize female characters' rear ends, not any more than you would the average male character's.
    5) Include more female characters of color.
    6) Animate female characters to move the way normal women, soldiers or athletes would move.
    7) Record female character voiceover so that pain sounds painful, not orgasmic
    8) Include female enemies, but don't sexualize those enemies"

kotaku.com/how-anita-sarkeesian-wants-video-games-to-change-1688231729

That doesn't sound crazy to me, and I've always felt that many video games way over-sexualize their female characters. It's just been a thing that everyone accepts as normal, but it would be nice to have some diversity and be able to choose a female character that wasn't all sexed up.

Now I don't think we need to get rid of sexy female characters altogether, but there's a compromise between Sarkeesian's vision, and what gamers will still enjoy and game developers want to create, and that's probably the sweet spot to be in.

It's good to have people like her, and also good to have her harshest critics, because between all that and the conversations that take place, we get new ideas and different ways of thinking. It's good for discussion and progress.

• how do you feel about her disabling the comments and like button on her videos essentially silencing anyone daring to oppose her?

• Well in fairness I can see why people turn off comments. My friend used to briefly have youtube channel and half the comments were something sexual and a good portion of them were guys telling her they wanted to rape her. And she wasn't dealing with something controversial, she was making yoga tutorials.

I can't imagine what it must be like for someone who deals with issues that are controversial

• With the 8 points she's made they already have each one in different video games.

On #7 I think they do way to good of a job making it sound painful. To the point it makes you cringe from the hits they take.

What Guys Said 22

• As I've already mentioned in the Tara Babcock interview, I think Anita Sarkeesian is a lying, thieving cunt. She is essentially the poster child for everything that is wrong with third wave feminism. She's basically a professional victim.

Nearly all of her claims have been debunked countless times on Youtube. She raised a bunch of money on crowd funding sites to create a bunch of piss poor researched youtube videos full of lies, then proceeded to create 1/4 to 1/3rd the amount of promised videos she was supposed to make.

... only to run another crowdfunding campaign for a bunch of more money to make another series of unrelated videos without ever finishing the ones that people donated to her for originally.

She completely refuses to debate and discuss any criticisms against her.

If it were up to her, M rated games would cease to exist.

To any gamers out there, this woman is basically Jack Thompson all over again. Only she argues that everything is sexist instead of the cause of a bunch of real life violence.

The big difference is that Jack Thompson is largely forgotten, was fined a bunch of money and is barred from being a lawyer in Florida and Anita Sarkeesian is given awards, hundreds of thousands of dollars, talk show interviews and is apparently on some big brother council on twitter.

Fuck her.

• I knew about her already having seen her series on games. I am quite ambivalent on her. I agree with some of what she says and disagree a lot on what she says. She does have some points, but the way she presents them and the conclusion she gets out of them I disagree with. She seems to have become a professionnal feminist and I hate that about her and unfortunately, it taints everything she says. I definitely think she does not deserve what happened and is still happening to her. She does not deserve hate and threats. She deserves to be debated. I find the apes threatening her to be much much worse than she is.
    I don't believe sexism to be that damaging in games, but I am an adult. I cannot tell what sexism in games can do to a young brain, but I do think there may be an influence. As for me, I love the woman's body and don't mind having it displayed to me in all it's splendor on my screen. That doesn't mean that I think women are somehow inferior to me.

• She's a con artist and not even a good one. Everything she writes and everything she said within her videos is actually provablly false (in fact they where so false all comments where disabled for her videos so people had to post their counter arguments on their own channels instead). She is a horrible human being and I very much despise her.

• I have never even heard of her.

• I stopped taking feminists seriously a long time ago.

• All feminists are fucking stupid. They're trying to fight problems that don't even exist. It's like dispatching a fireman to a house that is perfectly fine and has no fire. They try to create problems. For example, the wage gap. There's no wage gap. First of all, you're not allowed to pay somebody less money for the same work, secondly, if it was true that women get paid less than men for the same work, then you wouldn't see any men getting hired anywhere, you'd only see women because the company can "pay them less" and keep a bigger profit. It's all a big joke and pisses me off

• She brings so many relevant points backed up by facts, i am proud to say i am a feminist because of her.

• I don't like her at all

she raised quite a lot of money just to make the same type of videos he did before and she doesn't even buy and play the games herself, she takes footage from other people and didn't even ask for permission in many cases.

also, she picks on details and sees only what she wants to see. Wasted time and money. She might have a point but the way she does it... nope.

• Never heard of this chick, based on the still of these videos she almost seems like she is intentionally aiming for controversy to spark popularity.

• To be perfectly honest, I've never thought about her. I don't know who she is. I don't care either. A famous feminist is like a famous KKK member. Every once in a while someone tells me why they are crazy and I don't have much of a reason to doubt them.

• She's a fraud.

I can't believe she made it to the UN with that utter fruitloop Zoe Quinn. They both sum up how Third Wave Feminism is backward.

• "Feminist Agitator" describes her best. Not my own words.

• Damn, she sounds retarded.

Then again, feminist in a nutshell.

• She's a complete joke as are all feminists.

Want a woman you can look up to and respect? Go google Janice Fiamengo.

• thunderfoot coverved this one :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szfhRRxJNmQ

• Wow that is tedious...

• Never heard of her

• i dont take her that seriously

• That she is ugly

• This is what happen when you can't get laid and need some dick in life lol Bitter woman.

• She's no longer relevant. Most fem organizations no longer work with or acknowledge her after the whole UN debacle.

• Don't care. All I really know is that she consistently contradicts herself and that she's normally associated with the gamergate stuff and feminazi stuff. Pretty sure she makes good money off it though. So maybe she's just making herself look silly since it gets a ton of money?