Are we like animals when we pick a relationship?

for ex; survival of the fittest

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there is a lot of instinct we aren't even aware of that goes on in the brain with attraction. It doesn't necessarily make for stable relationships but for getting your motor running, particularly with women, it's a huge and unacknowledged factor.

It's kind of like how your rational mind knows you shouldn't be eating all that sugar and fat but your instincts are saying "WE NEED IT, WHAT IF THERE"S A FAMINE!". And of course your brain rewards you by making it taste sooo good.

Most Helpful Girl

• yes, of course.
    We are LIKE animals in that survival of the fittest still somewhat applies. Anyone who tells you that they'd choose the lesser attractive or less fit individual to have sex with or start a relationship with if they had equal compatibility with more average-looking folk, is quite silly. Been drinking too much of that pc-friendly juice.

We're a bit past most animals, though, in terms of considering emotional/cultural/religious, etc.. compatibility to need to be paired along with physical attraction before an actual relationship is formed.

What Guys Said 20

• I doubt it, a lot of people pick morons based purely on attraction... animals aren't that stupid for the most part.

• Yes we are, and anyone who thinks we aren't needs to get off their elitist, modern-society soapbox.

At our core we are animals.

• We are animals.
    That means we are 'like' animals in everything that we do.

• We are animals and we should never forget that fact.

• There multiple factors for either argument, but I think the animal side wins out:

Nietzschean: We choose people who will improve our gene pool and make our children (and in effect our species) genetically superior. (This is due to an evolutionary trait so in this case like animals).

Cultural: We choose mates based on what media, word of mouth, and personal experience tells us is attractive (Not like animals).

Longevity: Fear of growing old alone (Not like animals)

Symmetry: We choose people based on their similarities to us making us feel like part of a greater whole or conversely on their differences making for a combined unit that functions better than the individuals would alone (survival tactics, pack mentality, animalistic).

Survival: Men typically choose women that have assets accentuating their child birthing capability (wide hips, big breasts, healthy muscle tone) to be able to continue the species as an evolutionary trait, while women are prone to be attracted to "warriors" (muscular, confident, self-sufficient) in order to ensure chances of survival for the family in a primitive world. (This would be another animal instinct).

Co-Dependency: Sometimes people base their sense of self worth on how much they are loved. (Definitely not animal)

Lust: (Evolutionary trait, Animal)

In short, yes. Most definitely.

• Some of us are.

• Of course... in particular women who are guiding human evolution because they are more selective than men.

• One some base-level, yes. But should we care about that? No.

• Animals mate for survival. Humans mate out of desire. You can't compare humans and animals, as in the end I never see animals murder fellow animals in cold blood by thousands as we have done truth the human history. WW1, WW2, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Medieval Ages, Rome, and much more.

• The real question is do we have the desire because of a survival need?

War not withstanding, regardless of whether we choose mates like animals we definitely don't fight like animals.

• Sorta, but from a biological standpoint, males fought for females and females would usually pick the winner. In the caveman days males usually went after large breasts and wide hips because it was a sign of fertility. Nowadays we have evolved brains like the limbic brain and the neocortex brain (and money) but, you should look up "the reptilian brain" for more info. It's the oldest part of our brain.

• No. Sometimes we settle for less than the best, some people don't want to reproduce, and we are not allowed to settle our disputes with violence. It sucks, really

• That's a false premise, as animals don't pick relationships for the same reasons at all. We are like some animals, but nothing like others.

• I would say no, but there are instincts, predispositions, and the like that have some varying degree over how one picks a relationship.

• yes and no i mean humans have for the most part gotten rid of a lot of the danger from the enviroment but we are still like this in a cultural sense against other humans

• "Survival of the fittest"... Darwin said after: "shh, the real theory means that it's the survival of the most adaptable". Do I don't know... I think we're just social human beings when we look for relationships :)

• Very nice smilie, exactly that's what some people are

• No, we are not,
    The only thing that makes relationships last these days is an emotional connection

• My girlfriend picked me but there was no completion for me I love her

• Yes an no

• Maybe, we could be a re incarnation,

What Girls Said 6

• No otherwise I wouldn't have picked someone as broke as I am and I'd have gone for a super muscly guy which really isn't what I am attracted to in reality!

• No, humans have empathy. An animals goal in life is to reproduce and pass on their genes to future generations (even if this leads to their death). Humans have so many more factors they care about in relationships.

• Some what.

• yes we are no different

• Sort of

• Not really