When telling someone how far away you are do you tell them in time or distance?

Like when you're on your way to your friends house and they ask how far away you are. Do you tell them "Im 10 minutes away" or "Im 10 miles away"? Personally i always say "im ___ minutes away". Ty :)

• Im 10 minutes away.
  • Im 10 miles away.

Most Helpful Guy

• distance if you're traveling over 60 miles...

time if it's local.

Most Helpful Girl

• Minutes because the amount of time it takes to travel 10 miles can greatly vary depending on certain factors like traffic.

• If the amount of time varies so much, then would time be a good indicator?

• @Psi_Unknown she's saying it varies day to day, afternoon to evening, or hour to hour (at the most). time is reliable for short trips. if it varied anymore, then i'd be unreliable, much like progress bar when upgrading your IOS.

What Guys Said 7

• If I'm traveling toward them I'll let them know approx time I'll be there.

• well it depends : i live in france so when i talk to seomeone in NY i can't really say "I'm 6 hours away"... it depends on your speed so for LONG distances i talk in distance : i am 5000 miles away
    but when i am talking about a short distance i say "i can be there in 25 minutes"

• I often tell them in time, people understand time much more easily vs. trying to figure distance. So time being a bit simpler measure of travel vs. actual distance.

• Even though both time and distance can seem relative, I think distance is easier to comprehend. Saying one is 10 minutes away could mean you're driving 80 miles per hour or just 40 m/h.

• Minutes because traffic is bad here so sometimes it can take much longer to go the same distance

• But if time is so variable, wouldn't using something more constant like distance make more sense?

• @Psi_Unknown no because I don't say how far away I am until I know what traffic is like. If I just said I'm 5 miles away they wouldn't know if I'm 5 minutes away or 30

• My point is that it might be better for them not to know when you arrive if you arrive at the wrong time. If you say you are 5 minutes away, but it takes an hour, or you are hour away, but traffic changes and can get there in 20 minutes, they will be, respectively, wondering when you will arrive or your arrival will be sooner-than-expected.

• Distance, because time is relative

• Time

What Girls Said 2