What are your thoughts about Quantum computers?

What kind of impact do you think they will have on technology and future inventions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Good question! I've been reading about it for awhile, it'll be nice once it becomes a reality. This, and other emerging technologies like virtual reality and 3D printing are going to really revolutionize our lifestyle I think.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 17

• I think I need a god damn holodeck. It's not a want. It's a neeeeeeeeeeed. Virtual reality like a mother fucker. I'm also really tired of having to drive all over the place. The highway pisses me off. When I get on the road, I just hate everyone and everything. Teleportation would significantly brighten my day. And I wouldn't mind having a clone of myself that I could boss around, tell him to go get me stuff and work my job.

Also sex robots. Artificial intelligence we could probably program to be indistinguishable from humans. Then that could lead to the geth. Or the borg. That would be bad. Or awesome. Maybe we could even build a time machine. On a quantum level the rules are thrown out the window. If we could tap into that, the possibilities are crazy.

The trick--the excessively difficult trick--is keeping a quantum computer operating based on quantum rules, not macro rules. That's the only way it will work. But to be large enough to use, it will transcend to the classical physical rules rather than quantum rules, thereby becoming worthless. Dunno if there will ever be a way to do that. But if there is some way to contain quantum rules in a box and keep them from interacting with the environment, we could raise another middle finger to nature.

But. Within our lifetime, I think it'll just make computers a lot more smooth and excessively fast, adhering to Moore's Law that computer processing power will double every 18 months. Gaming is going to be sic. Ultimately, hell if I know. I'm not a physicist.

Also here's the link to the non-quark text. www.thetruthdenied.com/.../...the_truth-Denied.png

• Their biggest immediate impact will be on raw math. Computers now can do billions of calculations in a second. These, TECHNICALLY, could do almost infinite calculations in a second.
    From there, breaking down raw data. A few seconds worth of LHC experiments yield dozens of terabytes, or more, of data. A computer than can break all that down, quickly, and find the most interesting aspects, will accelerate how quickly we learn from these experiments by years, if not decades.

But I think that the very first major impact the average person will get out of quantum computing is weather forecasting. Weather models are hard to make, amazingly touchy, and when you take everything you can conceive of into account, and on Wednesday is says to expect a storm Saturday? You could still end up with a sunny, rain free weekend. They provide predictions for a reason: that's all they can do. There is always the chance they can be wrong, which is why they change and update constantly.

With quantum computing, the amount of data one can put into such a model, the complexity of the model, and the ability of the model to update to changes, increases exponentially. The accuracy of forecasting, especially for major and potentially life threatening weather events, would go through the roof.

• I remember reading that they are great for complex simulations and equations but won't offer much benefit for the casual computing the average person does.

• Yes, they'll have a huge impact on many industries but... image too small to read :v
    rzr-insider-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...1c1.jpg

• I doubt they'll ever have user level devices. they'll probably jump start research that had previously been too mathematically daunting.

the problem is, despite their potential power, humans will still have to use human brain power to develop algorithms for them to run.

• A processor operating on probability not fatalism.. hmm. There will be a heavy learning curve for any and all people who dabble in programming.

Haven't had enough interest into the matter, I reckon for most people the fabled quantum computer won't be so much different.

• They are always saying that they will come 20 years in the future to our homes...
    Since 10 years lol, dunno when, but before they come, we will have new tec way more powerfull then today, but not like quantum.

What will change... damn... i wonder if it's enough power to teleport our body atoms to another place... it can probably open a very strong revolution, on anything.

Also, there's a problem, making the software to use alll that power, that's the biggest challenge, from what i heard.

• I would like to have one at home...

• Can't wait till they come commercially available, it's gonna be soo funny seeing a $100 Quantum phone out performing a traditional $5,000 gaming PC.

• Sounds like quantum porn will be coming

• Can it play my video games better or watch netflix better or better at things like word or docs so I can write.
    If no, then I while impressed and while it will benefit society I won't give it much thought

• hey if you ask me about the human body and mechanics or even some bioligy question i could maybe have an educated guess but this is beyond me XD

• Too Quamplicated... lol 😅

• Once quantum computers get invented, it'll be possible to break every password.

• That's not necessarily true, it only applies if quantum computing lends itself to developing some kind of algorithm that can brute force passwords of increasing length in polynomial time rather than exponential time... I don't think one actually exists yet, and honestly I don't really see how that's possible. Correct me if I'm wrong. :P

• I mean it could help breaking certain types of encryption though but I don't think it's by brute force, it's by exploiting the encryption algorithm

• PTSDR
    (print too small didn't read) lol

• Damn I was hoping that it would let you make it bigger when you copied image location. :(

• Awesome, but in my personal life, they don't matter since they'll be horrible for gaming.

• I can't wait to get one of those computers :)

What Girls Said 1