How to stop relapsing on pills?

I've been in and out of hospitals my whole life being doped up on various pain meds six months out of the year mainly strong ones like morphine. (I'm very accident prone and always seem to need a reconstructive surgery) so I've become quite addicted to opiates and was on them without a prescription a year ago but I keep relapsing about a week every two months. How do I fully stop. I've tried everything. Literally running/lifting. all my hobbies. Work longer hours at my job. Nothing keeps my mind off it. I guess Thats what happens when you've been pumped full of opiates for years does... Any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• what about weed? have you tried it? less side effects and addiction.

• and its also very good for pain, or so i've read. There are A LOT of health benefits to weed when a person is sick...

• Lol combat drug addiction with drugs. I'm joking lol thanks for the advice tho I'll try it. I'll talk to my dealer. I might just buy a cut. (An 1/8 people around me call that a cut lol)

• damnn, that sounds so criminal... "talk to my dealer" jeezz.. haha
      i forgot the world isn't so open minded about weed! haha

Most Helpful Guy

• First, with drugs as addictive as opiates, there is no "tapering off" or "just doing some." You have to commit to getting completely off, right now. If you have any left, flush them down the toilet.

Second, you need to change your group of friends. Anyone that reminds you of doing drugs needs to be cut off. Most relapses happen because of social factors.

Third, try to replace your drug habit with a healthy habit. But it seems like you've already tried that by exercising. Still, worth giving it another try with the other pieces of advice.

Finally, you may be self-medicating to address some kind of mental health issue, like depression. Go to a therapist. It's possible that a low dose of an antidepressant, for example, could address all the reasons why you take drugs.

What Girls Said 1

• Have you tried joining a rehab program or a addicts' support group? How's your emotional support network like?

• I can't afford to go to a rehab program I just got an awesome job. And the only person I havento vent or open up to is my girlfriend. But most of the time I get scared and dont talknabout ot because I'm afraid she will leave me for being an addict when I only relapse every once in a while.

• Family would reject me and ny friends dont understand addiction... Yet they can't go 10 mins without a chew.. Thats ironic lol. And I can't go to rehab I got a great career going so far. I really dont want to go back to minimum wage or ware house jobs. And she knows I relapse sometimes. She understands completely. I'll try talking to her about it more tho.

• Ok... So your siblings and/or cousins wouldn't understand you either?

Do you have any friends who are more open-minded and empathetic? If you do, you could try increasing their awareness about addiction before/and telling them. That way you could get more support.

And yes, you need to talk about your difficulty escaping addiction with your girlfriend. If she already knows and loves you, I think the fact you're actually trying to kick the habit and asking for her help will please her a lot.

Does your work environment/ boss give the impression of being intolerant towards addicts? What does your HR guidelines say? Also, some countries recognise addicts as people with mental disabilities, and offer them protection against job discrimination. Check if yours does.

What Guys Said 2

• Have you done any counselling or support groups, they might give you extra ideas.

• Sadly hitting bottom is the most helpful. Losing jobs, friends and family then ending up on the streets is a big enough wake up call. However you can look at it like this. Pretend you are already dead or 70 and you pissed your life away. Then you get a wish granted to you that you can go back in time and have another chance to fix things. You live ONE time so don't fuck it up.

• I've already hit bottom which is why I was able to quit in the first place. I just can't stop relapsing.

• How about not eating at all for a week. Fuck off ass cock.

• Well there ya go. If a true bottom doesn't work then maybe nothing will. Best of luck.