Should I see a therapist?

I always have reccurent thoughts about my bad memories. These memories are mistakes I have done in the past and I wish I would not have done these bad things. I can't stop thinking about them. I actually forget them after a few days, but some objects, songs, names just random things can bring the bad memory back and this affects my day (life) badly.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sometimes it is necessary for people to see a therapist if they have underlying unresolved issues from the past. A therapist will help you to build a resilience and develop strategies to help you to accept and cope with whatever haunts you from the your past. If you find self-help doesn't work , then seek help from a therapist. It will probably be very beneficial to you. Don't suffer alone, get help so you can rebuild your life and be free from your past. Living in the past just imprisons you. Good luck ♥ x

What Guys Said 5

• Although a therapist would probably be a good idea, understand you aren't alone in having those feelings. Regrets can weigh heavy on you, you grit your teeth just a little bit harder thinking of these bad memories. But they key is to let the emotions come on, not suppress them. It's hard, and it hurts.. but the only way to come to terms with your past is to explore it. It's like expose therapy for those with certain kinds of OCD. Putting dirt on their hands makes them feel like they are nearly dying... But if done repeatedly, their brain realizes it doesn't really hurt that bad to have dirt on your hand. Same with these memories. Explore them, learn from them, and be strengthened rather than weakened by their existence.

• Why see a therapist when you could talk to one

• I tried talking with friends and family, but they could not help me

• You should go. There is no options about it.

• I think I know you from the turkish girlsaksguys site :D and yeah i will propbably go to a therapist

• Yep I'm everywhere and anywhere 😆

• I have been a therapist for people with problems like yours and it can do a world of good.
    But for me, I was freed from my own life guilt and regrets (some pretty bad things that deserved prison) . . . through accepting Christ as my redeemer and lord. I now know my past has no power over me. He wants to give you the same new beginning.

• Yes, but go in with a very specific agenda. You don't really need to go into the mistakes from the past, you need to develop specific coping skills to avoid rumination. That's it.

What Girls Said 2

• You need to find some way to accept your past, so that you can move forward. Have you discussed your memories with someone you trust? You have to admit that yes, I made a mistake, but it does not define who I am today. You have to accept yourself. Therapy may help you, but you have to remember that you also have to help yourself. You have to love yourself for all that you are, mistakes included.

• Absolutely! There are nothing but benefits from seeing the right therapist. Good luck!