Is calling a movie/book character a "Mary Sue" common everywhere or just in certain areas or groups?

I frequently see characters called "Mary Sues" on boards about movies or books, but I've never heard this phrase used in real life.

Most Helpful Guy

• I've only seen it used online too -- not in real-life conversations about books and movies.

The phrase existed before people commonly used the Internet, BUT from what I've read about it, it was first used among fans of STAR TREK to refer to certain characters in cheesy fan-fiction stories about STAR TREK, so it's definitely not a term that everyone knows about.

Plus, it's clearer and more natural in real-life conversations for people to say "that character is too perfect at everything" than to say "that character is a Mary Sue", which not everyone will understand.

Most Helpful Girl

• Never heard of that. What does that mean?

• It's a slang term to describe certain kinds of characters in written stories (like books/movies/TV shows). Basically, a "Mary Sue" is a character in a story that is just too perfect and good at everything, to the point that the character is just not very interesting or believable as a human being anymore. Having a character like that in a story is usually considered bad writing.

• Okay thanks i get it now

• Thanks for the MHO!

What Guys Said 4

• I've never heard it. I've heard Mary Jane

• It's only used in context where the character is a Mary sue.

Like Rey in star wars 7. She is too good at everything and has no negative qualities or weaknesses. Totally OP.

• Also, Chris Pratt's character in "Jurassic World". xD Always the smartest guy in the room, always knew the right thing to do while everybody else in the movie was being an idiot, knew the most about every dinosaur, was always cool/badass in the most stereotypical way, etc. For a main character, he had absolutely no character arc at all, because he was already perfect from the beginning, hahaha.

• @nfigure yep :p

• Where'd the phrase come from?

• I've only heard it online or on the news.

• Nope

What Girls Said 0