Why do most people find Tarantulas disgusting?

Among the few that actually shared my my same interest were a couple guys and I think I'm the only girl that doesn't get creeped out any hardly any living creature.

I let one of them into my arm just a couple days ago. Gotta to admit it does tickles. It think it has its own beauty. The one I held looked like this:

Most Helpful Guy

• There's often no accounting why people like some animals and are terrified by others. Most tarantula venom is less toxic than a bee sting (and FAR less painful).

I was dreadfully afraid of frogs when I was a kid. Now as a teacher I handle them routinely (as well as tarantulas and other "creepy" critters).

I kind of like petting tarantulas.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love tarantulas they're so cute

Sponsored

What Guys Said 14

• I think it might be a natural self-protection mechanism for a lot of people to be creeped out by the various kinds of "bugs" out there. That fear/disgust keeps them away from bugs, and therefore it lowers the chance that they will get bitten or stung by one that might happen to be venomous or allergy-inducing enough to seriously harm a human being.

With that said, if we step back and try to think about it on a logical and scientific level, they are creatures of this Earth just like any other creature: trying to make their way in the world, trying to get enough to eat, and trying to not get hurt themselves; that's all. People tend to think of spiders as vicious, fierce creatures, but they are actually quite fearful of lots of things -- as we are haha. You can see this by very lightly touching any common spider in your house with a stick. The great majority of them will get scared that something is touching them, and will try to run away to protect themselves: hardly the response of a fierce, vicious animal. xD

• Exactly. Interesting how very few of us are this understanding towards those gentle creatures.

If that fear/disgust is natural for most people, then I guess I'm different. One of my most earliest recollect as a toddler was being curious about bugs, asking my mother what it is and one day touching a cockroach without ever getting scared nor grossed out.

• Haha well I don't think I've encountered very many cockroaches in my life, but I've come across a lot of crickets, and they used to scare me so much when I was little -- probably just because they were the biggest bugs of any kind that would get into the house. But eventually I grew to be mostly okay with them, once I took the time to catch some and look at them up close (to convince myself that they weren't monsters lol xD ). So now, whenever a cricket manages to find itself in the house, I just catch it in a cup and put it back outside where it belongs. :)

• That's a Mexican red knee and are the most popular pet tarantula. I have the same question about snakes

• this spider looks soo cute.

• I don't find them disgusting (often think they are really beautiful) but I do fear what they might do to me lol.

• Interesting how they are feared by some people too. If anything, they are scared of us.

• It's a fear of respect. I know what they're capable of doing.

• 1. It's a spider
    2. That's a thing with a non comprehensive brain that has a powerful jaw that could unleash a vial of venom into your skin that could be fatal. And it's big. And it's hairy. WTF r u thinking?

• It's not a fatal venom and the one I was holding was gente. It won't do anything at all if not provoked.

What would I think if it were to bite me?

That it got scared of me and was thought I was going to harm it when I mean it no harm. I'm good at handling it though. I still think it's a beauty.

• Here's my deal with spiders.

I let some spiders (not tarantulas) live in my home, on the living room ceiling. It's mutualism. Why? Because they catch the pain in the ass bugs and I offer them shelter from weather and competition with other spiders.

I don't know how insects r supposed to be gentle. I'm just gonna let our deal slide. If it doesn't come near me, then it's good

• because they're gross. i have a policy of not liking anything more than 2 eyes, bigger than 1/2 inch, have more than 4 legs and/or hairy

• Well, they are "creepy crawly"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPeqGV6AC5M

• I fucking hate them!! 😱

• Daring act :P

• Nope. It's about understanding them. They aren't ugly as many say and I would assume it's really us they're afraid of. I bet to them, we look weird.

• Exactly what I think 💁

• Cause when they feel threatened they try to blind you by shooting their tiny butt hairs at you.

• I see. It was actually gentle with me but I wouldn't blame it nor even get mad at it if it did that. I would just wonder what I did wrong and make it feel comfortable next time.

• I wouldn't get mad at it either, I rather just not get shot at with butt hairs

• people innately hate creepy crawlies. dunno why, most are harmless like ants, worms, beetles and stuff.

• Yeah... I guess I'm different. From an early age (even as a toddler.. starting with me holding a big cockroach), I never got creeped out. I can't think of any animal that I find ugly nor that creeps me out. All of them are beautiful.

• Good for you.

• They are hairy and large. People don't like the thought of bugs crawling on them

• Do they bite at all?

• They can but they're reluctant to do so and are very docile

• @reptocarl I think it's more the look that gives you chills

• @reptocarl Exactly as he said. It will not bit unless you seriously provoke it and it's really scared of you.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't find them disgusting. I find them downright terrifying.

• Yeah some of my friends expressed that same view too. I think though it's really they that are scared of us.

• I actually think they're cute

• Don't want that thing next to me 🙅🏻

• I've held one before and they really are beautiful creatures. It literally just feels like a small furry hamster sitting in your hand, that's if you closed your eyes, lol.

• Spiders make my skin crawl. I just do not like anything about them, tarantulas are the worst of that because they're so big. Just not my thing :( I love mammals and birds and reptiles and amphibians! But bugs/arachnids etc aren't my thing at all.

• yeah I get that too from my friends, they're ok with some other animals but nothing to do with crawlies nor spiders.

All those other animals you've mentioned are cool too. Strangely I can't think of any animal I don't like nor that gives me the creeps.

• I really wish there wasn't anything that creeped me out! I can appreciate that all living things exist for a reason (the food chain and the Eco system and stuff) so I'm okay with spiders as long as they're nowhere near me :/ I like oceanic stuff too, forgot to mention them.

• Because they are

• I like them.