Tell Me About Biphobia?

Hey guys, can you tell me more about biphobia and more specifically when people say bisexuality isn't real. Thanks fam.

0|0
2|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know what specific info you're looking for, so I'll just try and give a general overview and you can go ahead and ask if there's anything more specific you wanna know.

Basically, biphobia is a kind of bigotry directed specifically towards bisexual people, and both gay and straight people can be guilty of it. Biphobia generally takes the form of denying that bisexuality is a real thing at all, often because the biphobic person just can't fathom the idea of being attracted to more than one gender. Bisexual people are often told to "make up their minds" or something similar, and sometimes gay people even see them as "traitors" or some such. Also, a lot of people seem to be under the impression that when bisexual people are in a monogamous relationship, they somehow cease to be bisexual and are either gay or straight, which just isn't how it works. Biphobia isn't just about people calling bisexual people names or things like that though, sometimes it's just a matter of ignoring bisexual people exist at all. Bisexual characters on television are often not called bisexual, but rather say they "don't like labels" or just don't discuss their sexuality at all.

There's also a lot of weird misconceptions about bisexual people that get thrown around, mostly about bisexual people being less faithful or more promiscuous. For some reason, some people seem to think that bisexuality is the same thing as polyamory (being in love with multiple people), or that bisexual people are more likely to cheat.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• Biphobia is aversion toward bisexuality and bisexual people as a social group or as individuals. People of any sexual orientation can experience or perpetuate such feelings of aversion. Biphobia is a source of discrimination against bisexual people, and may be based on negative bisexual stereotypes or irrational fear

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• You can literally turn anything into a phobia. Think about it.

0|1
    0|0