Why do people use the term "Mexican" when describing Hispanics?

I don't understand it, I have friends who do it all the time and I have to correct them but they do it again. Do they not understand what the difference is?

Why do people use the term

Most Helpful Guy

• I know! It's mostly black people who do that though. I never hear white people say that unless they're ignorant whites from way down south. Black people have this annoying habit for calling Hispanics "Spanish" and "Mexicans." The true "Spanish" are from Spain, and not every Latino is Mexican.

• I live in Florida so maybe that explains the ignorance. Mostly it comes from whites and blacks in my experiences and I have to remind them lol.

• I'm further up on the East Coast, grew up in a predominantly black area and that's all I ever hear from black people about Hispanics, lol.

• Lol, yes. Especially when they say it in an offensive way it's just like dude... chill out please.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ignore.
    Plain and simple.

I know someone that calls every Asian person... Chinese.
    Some people just don't stand back and realize and there are a lot of different Asian ethnicities and Spanish ethnicities as well.

They call them the one they are most familiar with.

I even see the same thing pertaining to Caribbean people.
    Some people call every one with an island accent.. Jamaican.

What Guys Said 12

• I think that if you live in certain areas such as Texas, Arizona, Nevada, or SoCal where most hispanics ARE Mexicans, it's understandable. But anywhere else? Nah. I come from South Florida where most Hispanics are Cuban or Puerto Rican, and most people just use Latino/Latina or Hispanic.

• I reckon ignorance is part of it. But laziness and indifference is also there.

You're talking about the same type of people you have to tell your name to three and four times when you first meet them. They simply don't care very much about people who aren't themselves.

• "Mexican" refers to a person from Mexico. Mexicans are Hispanic/Latino, but not all Hispanics/Latinos are Mexican. Also, Mexican is not a race, and neither is Hispanic/Latino a racial classification. People get these things wrong all the time.

• I used to live in San Jose and there are a lot of people there that identify as Chicano or Mexican and don't want to be called Hispanic.

http://i.imgur.com/KSCXbOA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GZLxfkL.jpg

• Reminds me of this.

Personally, I try not to make generalizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMe2Jg9RmTM

• Idc cuz I'm Mexican lol

• Because wtf people

Mexican is a NATIONALITY

• Because they're ignorant of the other ethnicities.

• the only time i use that term is with people who are from mexico :P

• whats the big deal? mexicans, hispanics, latinos, same shit.

• In the USA, most Hispanics *are* mexican.

• Are you sure? My family is from Puerto Rico and I've met more Puerto Ricans and Dominicans than I have Mexicans. Even still, that doesn't justify it. That's like calling all blacks African and all Asians Chinese.

• As apple24 wrote and my friends say. "I'm" Mexican" another girl I called Asian said "Dude I'm Chinese, why do you talk like that?" If someone is from Spain you wouldn't call them Mexican. That's a minor insult.
    Too politically correct.

What Girls Said 6

• To some Mexican is the same as Hispanic, Latino/a, Cuban, etc. People are just kind of ignorant and not always considerate that not every Spanish speaker is Mexican. It may be very well convenient for others to label Spanish speakers as Mexican. My mother is from Honduras and I grew up around Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Guatamalans, etc. So some of us that are aware know better, but of course most just don't.

• OHH TACO! hahah Just call me mexican! lol

• Just lazy and ignorant. They don't care. Same thing with Chinese being the go to for describing Asians.

• A lot of people say most hispanics here are mexican.. I highly doubt it. What about the cubans and the puerto ricans and the columbians and everyone else? It's like saying every Asian person is chinese.. just no lol

• Lol yes!!! I'm Puerto Rican and Jamaican, but I have friends that'll be like "aren't you Mexican or something?" -_- like dude...

• I know! I was raised by cambodians and I'm part Spanish so I'm clearly mexian haha and was clearly rasied by chinese 😂

• probably not. it's like how people categorize all illegal immigrants as Mexicans

• Most Hispanics here are Mexican