Why are most petty criminals born and raised by single mothers?

I've been reading some crime statistics, and the vast majority of petty criminals are male and raised fatherless. Is it because of a lack of role model or another reason?

• Lack of father figure
  • Most women don't know how to raise boys
  • Both A and B
  • Criminal DNA from a bad father that left
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• i think kids need both parents supporting them emotionally

Most Helpful Guy

• Both A and B. Criminals tend to come from families that are broken. The father is gone, and the mother is probably shaking her booty for a rap video and/or fucking dudes for money. You can't expect a woman like that to be able to raise a man on her own.
    The education the kid gets at home is close to none. That's why most criminals are born by single mothers.

What Girls Said 15

• Mama's not around because she's working, sometimes more than one job and when there's no structure+bad influence that's what happens. It's hard to discipline when you're not around as much as you'd like to be. In today's world you need 2 incomes to survive, almost everyone where I work who's married with kids has a working wife, but there's always someone home with the kids. A single parent can't do that, they have to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads and try their best to keep their kids straight.

• But you are skipping the point. The same statistics don't show up in the case of single fathers.

• I already stated my rationale.

• So this is just your thought and you have 0 statistics to back it up?

• I was a petty criminal I admit. I won't give you the details of my sob story, but I was raised in a single mom household. That and in foster care.
    I've had pets longer than I've known my dad.

Anyways, the petty crimes I did were theft. Why? Well, when you're so hungry that you'd eat dog food to survive, yes we did because there was nothing else to eat, then stealing tortillas and cans of ravioli or whatever doesn't seem so bad. My brothers and sisters also would take like bread and peanut butter. Our ages ranges from 3-10. We were petty criminals yes, but we were tired of being hungry.

My father was a raging alcoholic and coked out. When my mom worked, he was very abusive and controlling he'd cause her to lose jobs, he'd beat her and take her money.

Not sure if it's the missing father figure, but our case was more of plainly missing resources and money.

• Whether or not a person grew up with a single parent or both doesn't necessarily matter. Its more about the environment in which they grew up in and the people they associate with.

There are several reasons as to why a crime may happen, or criminal gangs etc.
    If you grow up in a rough area where crime is almost normalised and common you are more likely to commit a crime as well because it doesn't seem so outlandish. And if you are less likely to get caught doing something you are more likely to do it.
    Another thing is if unemployment is high, younger people may resort to gangs because they are often bored. And they get into trouble to entertain themselves.
    If you live in a place where you don't have the same opportunities in life, you may resort to crime to achieve success instead.
    And also yes growing up in a broken family may raise the chances of falling into a troubled life, but that depends on the environment and the people around them.

There is a theory called MMO (Means, Motive, Opportunity), look it up. Its basically a theory of the key things that will make a crime happen.

• But you do understand that even among problem environments, there is a correlation between less criminal behavior and fathers being present?

• Yes, like I said growing up in a broken family may raise the chances

• And also yes perhaps there would be less criminal behaviour if the father is present because they have some kind of a role model that is not a gang member of some sort (if the father isn't one)

• Poverty is a huge factor. Single income households tend to straddle the poverty line. People will do whatever they can to survive, including turning to crime.

• But there is a distinction in the stats between single mothers and single fathers.

• I have no confidence in feminism doing anything in favor of men. Rhetoric is not action, and the empirical evidence consistently suggests that issues that affect men are not worth their efforts.

• Perhaps you don't want to believe that anything women do will ever benefit men, due to your own prejudices.

• considering there are women all over the world who are single parents and don't raise criminals and it is just a select few that did I would say it was just a lack of parenting and not relevant to the parental situation.

• Can you cite statistics? Because all the ones I can find suggest a propensity of a negative impact on a child from single motherhood, esp. on male children.

• I don't need statistics. It is common sense

• A lot of things that were wrong have been considered "common sense". Racism was once "common sense".

• Low socioeconomic status. Most single parent households, regardless of which gender the parent is, face financial hardships. It's just more obvious with single mothers, as they are the most common type of single parent.

• That is not the case if we compare the ratios instead of the sums.

• I bring it up for the same reason anything else is brought up. For discussion, etc. And the corollary would be that mothers tend to be favored in child custody disputes, all else being equal, so who knows what that is based on, since it's not tangible evidence.

• Soooo you're trying to say that because there is no correlation in the opposite direction, that must mean the correlation is more correct? That's not how it works.

• Being a single mother must be hard, but thats not an acceptable excuse for allowing a child to do whatever he or she wants. I may sound old fashioned but children need discipline.

Personally I dont see an issue with the occasional smack on his or her's bottom if and when its called for.

• It takes a man and a woman to make a baby. So, it would only make sense it takes a man and women to raise a baby. Both roles are severely important.

• I agree, but in the case of one over the other, one seems to be worse, at least on the issue of criminality.

• Lol, you do know women used to not have rights to their sons. So the father or his family raised them, men where still getting into legal trouble then. Fact is a child will do what a child wants to do no matter how well of a parent you are.

• Many single families are low income and that encourages crime

• Petty criminal? As in just small things to steal? Usually a lack of money in momma's purse.

• Because there in no father t0 show them how be a man

• Or maybe they just chose to break the law and got caught?

• I think it has a lot to do with income level. Poverty and impoverished neighborhoods is where a good about of criminals generally come from.

• I was raised my a single mom and not criminal

• For one, you're not male. The statistical difference affects males.
      For another, that's anecdotal evidence.

• About what?

• That just because you're a male, that makes you become a criminal

• It's a chain reaction. Single mothers tend to be poor and uneducated. That's the environment the child grows up in. What more do you expect from them?

• I'm not expecting anything, just presenting the stats.

• Lol some questions don't need answers. They're just there to prove a point

What Guys Said 4

• Single mothers don't tend to make it very far above poverty, and that's where most criminals come from

• But the strange thing is that single fathers don't seem to do as badly even in the same environment.

• Girls tend to have days off more I remember or something like that

• Poverty.

• Accidentally voted D, I meant to vote E. I don't think there's usually a correlation here.

• You can think what you want, but the stats are the stats.

• Probably a financial situation.