What on Earth is this 'non-binary' thing?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/now-or-never-says-student-who-came-out-as-non-binary-to-obama

I don't get it... how can you be neither gender?

Surely she's a woman because she's born a woman? Her SEX is female...

This shit is sooooo weird.

Most Helpful Girl

• Gender isn't the same as sex. Sex is biological, gender is cultural. Male and Female aren't the same as Masculinity and Femininity; the former two are about your body, the latter two are about your behaviour and role in society.

There are cultures which have always recognised more than two genders, for example in some Native American tribes 'Two Spirit' people are traditionally accepted as a 3rd gender.

Some people don't feel they fit with either a masculine or feminine gender identity, so those people are non binary.

Additionally; not everyone is biologically male or female; 4% of people are born intersex. So gender and sex are clearly not the same or there'd be mainstream gender identities which were inclusive of intersex people

• But she's a woman, since she has, at the very least, tits. SHe probably has a vagina too... which all make her a biological woman.

• What if someone had testes and a vagina and breasts? Or a penis and a vagina and ovaries? etc. These people exist.

Biological sex goes by chromosomes, technically, and not everyone has either XX or XY

When you're born, doctors do go by what you look like to assign you a sex, but that's not always biologically accurate.

People who are intersex get assigned genders which don't 'match' their bodies at birth.. Why shouldn't people later in life be able to have the gender they feel most comfortable with accepted as their gender?

Most Helpful Guy

• "Genderqueer (GQ), also termed non-binary or gender-expansive, is a catch-all category for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine—identities which are thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

irsexams.com/.../dumb-questions.jpg

• There was really no need for that picture... just makes you out to be a know-it-all bigot.

• Not know it all, nor bigot, just googled it in your place.
      Y U no Google?

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, their sex is female. But they don't identify themselves as being a male or female.

• They have to be something... an umpaloompa maybe?

• But WHAT IS neutral?

This shit is barmy... there are only 2 genders... you're either one or the other.

• There are two biological sexes, yes. But if you don't identify with one or the other then that's a different story.

• 0|0
    • Also, sex and gender isn't the same thing.

• But she's still a woman if she has tits and a vagina?

You can't throw away your biological sex just because your gender doesn't match...

• You can if that's what you want.

• Damn this is confusing

• "Sex" is used to describe physical features. (Male, Female)
    "Gender" is used to describe someone's perception's about themselves. (Man, Woman)

Someone who is non-binary doesn't feel like they fit into the traditional two genders (man and woman.) I personally identify as genderqueer, particularly "agender." For me, I'm completely off the spectrum and don't feel like either, though I tolerate the use of female pronouns for myself, since people have used them for so long. Some people are genderfluid, meaning they feel like one gender sometimes, and another at other times. Gender is a huge spectrum.

• Right... well as far as I can see, she has tits. Boobs are something really only women have. I know guys can get them if they're fat, but they're moobs, and clearly not the same.

So her biological sex is woman!

• So what do they identify as then... a umpaloompa? a table?

• They identify as somewhere else on the gender spectrum. The spectrum ranges from male to female. Someone can identify on one side or the other. Most people do identify with their biological sex. These are cisgender people. There are two biological sexes, but more than two genders.
      As I previously stated, I identify as agender, meaning I don't think of myself as having a gender (I think of myself as just a human.)
      "Genderqueer" and "Non-binary" are umbrella terms used for people who don't identify on the ends of the spectrum. Common non-binary gender identities include genderfluid, agender, and bi-gender.

• Yes it is VERY weird and I do Not get it either

• I don't effn know , your either make or female. if we dropped the word gender they'd have nothing to hide their mental illness under.

• "This shit is sooooo weird."
    Yes, yes it is...

What Guys Said 11

• Personally, I don't feel male or female, particularly, is there a way to feel that solidifies you in either gender? My body is strictly speaking male, but I don't particularly feel associated with my body. I mean, ultimately to each their own. Does every thing need definition? I thought feeling a bit awkward and unsure of one's skin was normal :)

So I take it you're not non-binary then? :D

• So you're non-binary? For real, of was that sarcasm?

• I transcend all definitions. :D

You don't feel either male or female do you, really, if you think about it? You're just, there, existing, sort of within the sphere of your upbringing.

• Probably is more bullshit from people that need desperately to be part of a group and feel like they're somehow different.

• The "non-binary" crowd are part of the latest trend. They, along with the trannies, like to tell us that up is down and down is up. They're nut cases for the most part and well represented and celebrated on sites like Tumblr.

• Each to their own but I think the influence of society and maybe the hormones/chemicals in the food and water supply is fucking the balance up.

You never used to get all this "nonbinarytransgenderneutralbiqueer lets string as many words together as we can to be as out there as possible bullshit".

I can identify as a fish, or a table. But the fact is I have a penis and im a human.

I dont think this is going to help people much, soon mirrors will be banned so people dont have to look at their face because they dont identify as the person looking back at them.

• Wow, that's a dumb article. Of course we recognize non-binary people, they have individual rights don't they?

Jeez. It's like, no one gives a shit if you're non-binary, people. You don't need to let everyone know about how much of a special snowflake you are, because no one cares. You've already got the rights you're talking about so let someone who actually has a real question have the microphone, ok pumpkin?

• Apparent people have a problem of being a tough woman or a weak man so rather than face reality they decided to "feel" there were polka dotted space rhinoceros Volkswagen beetle wearing a tutu while rocking a rainbow faded Afro. You can be whatever you want now... What's better, you can bring a lawsuit for decriminalization when you aren't represented correctly on a government form.

• people are going insane, everyone wants to be special in some way, and every fktard out there is letting them... ohhh you're not a male or female? please explain your tits, vagina, female hormoes and the fact that you look like a girl...

• I suppose those people don't really feel like a man nor a woman so they call it something else.

• Don't try to understand it, at best it's a cry for attention, at worst its a mental disorder.

• Gender confusion - The biggest delusions in the western world.

She is a female, whether she likes it or not. Always.

• "Non-binary" means that admin prefers using Hex.