Is UK pulling out of European union a good thing?

Most Helpful Girl

• There's arguments on both sides.. I'm probably going to vote to stay in. But I'm pulled the other way as well because for example I oppose TTIP :s

• TTIP is one reason that I am voting to stay!

• I had read that article already, and it made me actually support TTIP!

• K, well, whatever. I'm not totally decided, but I think staying in has more benefits than leaving

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes the EU for one is a bureaucratic nightmare, there are too many bodies and they legislate on stuff that they have no knowledge of and because of cases such as Van gend en loos it has been made very clear that EU law trumps national law which makes sense as parliament bound themselves to EU law, however those making EU law tend to be incompetent. And also because of Article 34 of the Treaty on the functioning of the EU (TFEU) and the case Dassonvile, pretty much anything the UK does to exert its sovereignty in relation to trade can be challenged by any random scmuck who doesn't like the law under EU law.

Then there's the fact that countries like France and Italy receive EU subsidies which is a super government picking winners in trade and it raises taxes for other EU citizens. Its true that the EU is the most profitable union on earth (yes even better than the US ) but its a nightmare that the UK can and should do without.

What Girls Said 5

• My automatic response would be that I prefer we stay in but honestly, I've only done minimal research into this.

• I think it's bad, our economy is too dependent on the EU for us to not have a direct influence in the EU and i really like being able to just wander anywhere in the EU i want to for a holiday without needing visa or worrying about other things.

• Would you want the UK to be a party to the schengen agreement?

• We're in a common travel area but we're not in the schengen agreement otherwise you wouldn't even need a passport to travel

• Would it affect football like the Champions League?

• Yes, Uk is overloaded with immigrants.

• That would be best for these people. Too many of them are sick of being slaves to the UN. At least that's what I hear.

• I don't think so

What Guys Said 18

• I'm an American so it's not really for me to say. It's up to the British people. But as an American that cares about our mother country and the British people, I do hope they vote to leave the EU. That way they can take back control over their borders and immigration policies and remain British. I really want the UK to remain British.

• First, you have to ask, what is the purpose of government? The purpose of government is to defend rights.

What rights are there? All rights are essentially one right: the right to act in any way that does not constitute an initiation of force (violence) against another person.

So, the more that a government fulfils that function of defending rights (which includes, by the way, refraining from itself violating rights), the more legitimate that government is. That is the real meaning of the word 'freedom'. 'Freedom' is not, by contrast, some imagined 'right' to violate the rights of others simply because you live near them or because you share their nationality.

Therefore, democracy or national sovereignty is not a legitimate argument against the European Union. The only pertinent question is, are we likely to be freer outside of the European Union or inside?

While the United Kingdom government and the European Union government are two of the best goivernments in the world, they do violate rights extensively in many ways. But, I think that it is quite clear that, if we were to leave the EU, the UK government would not get rid of the bad parts of what the EU has given us, only the good parts. For example, most obviously, it would get rid of the free movement of people. But, because we live in a democracy (and our democracy would, unfortunately, be even more democratic outside of the EU), the UK government could not get rid of EU business regulations or EU-mandated central banking for example, even if it wanted to do so (and there is no indication that it wants to do so anyway).

I think, therefore, that it is quite clear that, for the sake of genuine freedom, you should vote to remain. Ten or twenty years ago (when the attitudes of the British people were somewhat different), perhaps the right course of action would not have been so obvious.

• Ever wondered how it will be in 20 or 30 years time when faceless, unelected bureaucrats control EVERY aspect of your life like Geore Orwell's "1981"?

• Get our sovereignty back. Obampot trying to convince everybody to vote to stay in just polarise us more. Don't think it matters what we vote though. These things are rigged. Just like every other national vote. Democracy is a lie. The people with money make the choices

• Try to get an appointment with a doctor. Try to find social housing. Listen to people refused treatment in hospital for minor ailments that are leaving them in pain. Ask people with catarracts how they feel when only one eye is fixed.

All because we have a government and Prime Minister that can't control our destiny or our borders. We're like a ship being carried along on the tsunami called the European Union.

• At this point that whole issue is such a cluterfuck I don't know which would be the better or worse option at this point.
    Flip a coin I guess...

• Not for me - I always spend around half the year living and working (in relatively unskilled occupations) elsewhere in Europe (France, Italy, etc), so that could become difficult.

As it happens, there's no chance of the UK leaving anyway. People have a fear of the unknown (made worse by scaremongering on both sides of the debate), they're generally not *that* dissatisfied with the way things are going (immigration being the only major issue), and they're still quite idealistic about the whole concept of a united Europe.
    Nobody actually even wanted a referendum in the first place, apart from Nigel Farage of UKIP (a fringe party who only won about 10% of votes), and David Cameron was just too weak to stand up to him.

• pulling out is always a good thing :D

• I don't pull out. If I commit to going in something, I go the whole hog, and finish what I started!

• Hahaha but are you prepared for the responsibilities that may come? 😉

• I think so. One of the best moves England did was to retain it's own currency and not switch to the Euro. If England stays in the EU, they will be subject to TTIP. I think the average Britain would be better off if the U. K withdraws.

• Half of Europe is letting anyone in and the other half can't pay their own bills, so yeah, it makes sense.

• Yeah.

• It is good for the UK

• This guy called Obama seemed very sceptic of UK moving out of the EU. He went like 'we'll stop deals with you, no more deals with you'. I didn't like him now. But i believe they should stay in the EU. It's better to stay united than separate

• Sounds sexy, might be a good thing.

• I hope this doesn't happen, it will be loose for both sides.

• They've had enough fun and they don't want to risk having to make any long term commitments.

• it's bad because the idiots in the u. s. stock market will panic for nothing really because they panic over everything.

• Staying in for the long term would pay off. Leaving now is the wrong thing to do even if it is not lucrative now. There are many falsehoods about the EU being spewed about.