Do you think it's immature for someone to say "I'm more mature than so and so"?

I dunno it just rubs me wrong whenever i hear someone say 'I'm more mature than that person."

Like wow really? you sure about that? Do you think it's immature for someone to say

@justbanANNAz @ElissaDido @AzureGirl @hookingswan @rgb008 @XoxoXxx @Thunderstorms @Remembermyname4 @Rainie_ @desidoll @BuchitaBuchys @heavenonearth

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that someone who's mature enough wouldn't feel the need to prove that to anyone. So yea.. If someone insists that they're mature, they're probably compensating for where they lack.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not immature, it might be the truth.
    Arguing on who is more mature is immature. Imagine how the convo will be like..

"I am more mature."
    " No, I am more mature.."

What Girls Said 19

• Usually, what this means is that the speaker has LOTS of trouble socializing -- and empathizing -- with people her/his own age. She/he is just taking that lack of social skill/empathy, and putting a positive spin on it.

NORMALLY, it's a GOOD thing when people can take shortcomings and "spin" them in positive ways that allow them to preserve their self-esteem.
    But, THIS one is an exception. This is NOT a good thing.

If someone is bad at socializing and empathizing with her/his peers, then that's a problem. It's a MAJOR problem as far as achieving happiness in the future.
    Almost invariably, the happiest people are also the most socially connected people -- and the UNhappiest people are also the most socially isolated people.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/13/1/81.abstract

"I'm more mature" is a very early warning sign of future social isolation, with all the unhappiness and other problems that it brings.

It's a problem -- and it needs to be addressed.

Someone should help the "more mature" person figure out why and how she/he is lacking social skill and empathy, and try to help her/him overcome that deficiency. The sooner the better.

• A lot of people say insults directed towards another. It's up to you whether you want to take it to heart or not. I usually ignore them.
    In many cases if someone wants to shout out a good quality they posses in order to feel as if they are taking power in an argument usually the lack the personality trait they are speaking of. They just want to feel powerful. I don't give them that.

• I dont like hearing people say that theyre more mature than so and so. But I know in some cases its true and theyre just defending themselves or whatever.

Its like how half the time Ill lie about something thats happened because the real reason it happened was due to a symptom of a mental disorder I have. But because it happens so often I can't say its because of that because that makes it seem like Im leaching off that issue instead of it being legit.

Its the same as claiming to be something more than another person. It might be true, but saying it out loud makes it appear to not be.

• Lol my dad says that to me 😂 it irritates the fuck out of me. 🙄 I think it's immature. I don't see why he feels the need to make that clear to me, just puts people down.

• Haha I mean I wouldn't be bothered. But if they act immature then that would counteract with what they said

• I don't think it's normally an issue. I guess it depends on how it was said. If they're being condescending themselves, then it probably sounds wrong. However, some people are just more mature than others honestly.

• lol noooooooo.

• It's a little immature, yeah.

• pretty much, but i dont care much.

• Or even worse when someone is saying 'You're still a baby, I'm older than you'. But older doesn't always equal wiser or more mature

• Yeah because what's the point of telling others your more mature than someone. When you already know you are? What do you have to prove?

• Hmmm, I haven't had this happen a lot. I've heard people be called immature a lot though.

• Your maturity level should speak for itself.

• he probably isn't if he is saying it out loud XD

• Lol I think so, but then again it doesn't mean they're immature either- just means they're really sure about themselves

• Not really, what they say can be true.

• Mm I don't really think anything of it tbh.

• ha ha ha I think I could find something better to get annoyed at

• In some cases, yes.

What Guys Said 16

• i think its immature you didn't tag me in :)
    anyway since i don't believe in the word mature anyway, i can say that a similar phrase would be "Im a grown ass person" or "im independent" if you have to say it to reassure yourself... you probably aren't...

• It's fine to think high about yourself but saying it in open is not really a good thing and that can lead to you losing respect also.

• Usually the ones trying to be the most "mature" are the ones with the most controlling parents. They need to prove to themselves that they are good enough to be independent from their overbearing parents. I see it more as a way to measure the person claiming they are "mature" than the person they are talking about.

• in my opinion it's indeed a sign of not being mature (yet)

• It is immature to say that, you can observe that without saying it.

• Context! Are their comments justified?

• If you have to tell someone else that you are more mature... you aren't

• i agree with your statement and feel the same way

• Yes, because they say their more mature instead of showing their more mature.

• You are 32 and you asked that? You are immature...

• It just makes me realize that they aren't self aware.

• No, 'cause I'm more mature than you.

• Yeah, if you are something, you wouldn't have to say it.

• I am more mature than a baby.

This statement has not affected my maturity rating.

• thats one of those things where if they have to say it it immediately becomes false

• this thing should be said by other person not by own