Could you give up the use of the internet in every shape and form for the rest of your life if it meant you were saving a strangers life?

• Yes, absolutely. Life is always more important.
  • No, it's "the Internet!"

Most Helpful Guy

• No way. The internet teaches me so much, and has been the best thing to ever happen to me. I am a much happier person because of the internet. The only people I really care to save, are the ones in my personal life. While I don't wish harm on strangers, what happens to someone that I don't know, really won't matter to me at all.

Just imagine how many children in another country we all could feed if we canceled our internet, and used that money to feed them. The fact is we have to put our own lives ahead of others, and can not be happy living an truly altruistic lifestyle.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd just start reading books again and use the library all the time

• You'll have to walk around with encyclopedias.

• @ted22 not necessarily. You can pack a lot of information on a note card

What Guys Said 15

• death is part of life, people die constantly and are replaced with new life even faster. I'm not going to permanently inconvenience myself for the sake of someone I'll never meet and whose life and happiness is not otherwise guaranteed.

• Yea Internet is great but its also a problem... the good old days is when you needed to know something you had to haul yourself to the library and search away. Not just google it. Knowledge was much more valuable

• Pretty distressing to see the vote there. People think the nets more important than a person. Sad world we've crafted

• I think its the mere fact that it's a stranger. There have been many real world examples, even without the threat of the loss of the internet, where whole groups of people have let strangers die in front of them. I think that if most people were asked if you'd save family or friend, they wouldn't hesitate. I've asked this to a bunch of people IRL, and it's like, well, what if that stranger is a rapist or a murderer or (yes, I've heard this), like 80 years old... followed by, my business, my school, my family connections, etc. are all online and I'd be giving it up for the rest of my life or simply that "this could never happen" so why bother saying yes I'd save a life. Yes, this is the world we live in. Now you know!

• nah. not going to do it.

• This is hard, I want to write for a living and publishers like online submissions, however this is a persons life.

• Eh, fuck it, there really isn't much hope for me anyway, might as well let someone else have a shot at it

• I'd gladly give it up for free.

• Yes life >>>>>>>>>>>>> Internet. Life is precious and rare.

• LOL. I'm an organ donor, good enough. Why would I give up the endless sea of porn for someones life? The ultimate question, would they do it?

• sure- lived half of my life without it already

• yes, i would.

• how would saving a strangers life affect me? would i even be aware of doing so?

no i would not.

• I'm pretty sure you would have to be present to save or not save this strangers life, and of course you'd have to live with the knowledge that you literally let someone die so you could have the internet.

• Ugh, I know. The crazy thing is in real life I have put my life in danger for others... so I know I'm not an a-hole that doesn't care about human life, but I still got to go home and use the internet.

• i've done so a well. i'm a sheepdog.

i've prevented would be thieves at my local 7-11, broken up a few fights... etc. then i get persecuted for my actions by those that stand around and do nothing (or videotape the incident).

but these events occur in my own community, so it's personal.

we'll be ok. =D

• I'm gonna be completely honest with you. The internet is literally my job and what made me live for so long, so giving that away for a stranger, and hopefully it's not a nice stranger, would be impossible for me.

So no, not really.

• Yeah, no.

• No way man.

• well i could but you'd better give me infinite access to books... .

What Girls Said 4

• Nah. Sorry but I don't care that much about random strangers. Who knows, perhaps that stranger even deserves to die.

• i should give up the internet to save my life ! The time i spend on it i could do something more real and probably more useful

• The internet is my life and it helps me but since i am suicidal myself i'd gladly save someones life by not using the internet ever again. Every single persons life is special and worth so much and so is every single person. It's worth waaaay more than being on the internet.

• Depends on the person. I mainly use the internet for shopping anyway.

• It's a stranger, so by definition you wouldn't be able to know anything about them other than they need their life saved.