Tokyo or Hong Kong? Which city is more appealing to you and where would you visit between the 2?

Which of these 2 East Asian mega cities would you wanna visit more between the 2?

Tokyo
Hong Kong

• Tokyo
  • Hong Kong

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Tokyo. I love technology and Tokyo is the most advanced city in the world when it comes to technology. Tokyo is also one of the most safe cities in the world as well.

• I agree but then again, there's Yakuza. Haha.

• I've been to Tokyo a couple times on business and its definitely not the most advanced city in the world when it comes to technology. Ever heard of a fax machine? Well they went out of style in the west 10+ years ago, but they are still widely used in Tokyo. Tokyo has a very odd feel to it, you arrive expecting a technological utopia, and you are utterly disappointed. Tokyo is a city that was... Back in the 80s it was THE place to be for technology, but since then it hasn't really improved. You will find a lot of technology from the 90s still in use there, the society has peaked do to aging problems, and so has a lot of the innovation. Not saying Tokyo isn't a cool place where you will find a lot of great technology, but there will be times where you feel like you teleported back to the 90s.

• Honestly, the Yakuza *won't* be a problem, unless you get involved in their underworld. People who don't get involved in their world don't have a problem with them.

What Girls Said 7

• I'd rather go to Tokyo because I'm more interested in Japanese culture in general, and also because the air pollution in Hong Kong is fucked up.

• Tokyo. Cuz I have already been to Hong Kong 😜

• You should go to Tokyo so I can live vicariously through you 😊. Or better yet, take me with you 😜

• Japan for sure, all the neon lights really overload my senses.

• hong kong, i always loved that place and it's so gorgeous so many skyscrapers

• Tokyo. I love Japanese culture.

• Tokyo they have a lot of cute shop and good food :)
    But hong kong is cool too and have good and cheap food

• I like both. Have been to Tokyo and loved it!

What Guys Said 15

• I lived in Japan for months, and I'm pretty disillusioned by the country. I didn't live in Tokyo, but I also don't see the appeal of massive cities. I have very little interest in simply visiting Tokyo, unless there was a good reason.

So, I guess I'd go to Hong Kong because I've never been, but the Chinese government makes me sick.

• Neither of them.

• Tokyo, pretty sure i can find a twin turbo supra there

• Maybe. However, the Japanese generally don't like cars that are more than 5 years old and ship them to other countries when they hit 5 years old.

• Been to both and I prefer Hong Kong because it feels like a second hometown (it's basically a British city in Chinese) and I can speak the lingo. If going out of the cities though I prefer Japan FAR more than China.

• I can't decide, I like them both, Asian cities are so cool...

• I've been to Tokyo, it's such a great city. I wish could go back.

I would still like to try out Hong Kong, though.

• Both are great and modern, but Tokyo is more advanced than Hong Kong. That does not mean that I never want to visit Hong Kong. I want to visit both.

• since i don't speak the language i wouldn't visit ether one.

• Love Japanese culture and food. Even if they are crazy racist. Lol

• I'm going to both.

• Tokyo, Just to see the technology.

• Hong Kong. Tokyo is crowded and expensive as fuck. Been there.

• my friend just got back from both.

HONG KONG>

both are fun but TOKYO IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE TO TOUR according to 2008

• Hong Kong, love all financial centers

• Well I prefer Tokyo (having been to both multiple times I can pretty accurately answer). Hong Kong seemed too Westernized to me, everyone spoke English (which I didn't like), and it just seemed too much like the UK for my liking. If I wanted to experience Westernized stuff I could have stayed at home in the US, but I wanted to get a different experience and experience a different culture. I arrived in Tokyo and was happier with what I found, little English was spoken outside of the airport (so my Japanese classes actually were helpful (I took Chinese before going to Hong Kong and I dont think I used it once)), there wasn't as much English on signs (which I loved), it had a nice Eastern flair to it, the food was much less Westernized and the Tokyo people seemed more... real to me I guess you could put it, like they were legit Japanese people. In Hong Kong I felt like I was dealing with British people that were stuck in the body of a Chinese person if you know what I mean, all the cultural things were just tourist sites and a show for the tourists, and the city itself didn't really appeal to me that much because it was too Westernized. As I said before I dont like Westernized, I could just stay home if I wanted that, I want to see a new thing and Tokyo was definitely more culturally awesome then Hong Kong.

• Well, given Hong Kong's British history, it actually makes a lot of sense.

• @Curmudgeon Yeah it does, but I had always heard of Hong Kong being like some exotic eastern city with all these great things about it, so I guess I was just extremely disappointed when it didn't live up to the hype. Had I known what I was doing, I would have just flown to London. If you want to deal with British people I'd recommend going to London which is also a megacity in itself. The reason you would go to Asia (probably) is to experience something different, and you won't really get that feeling in Hong Kong, its just another big city. Only difference between Hong Kong and New York (in my opinion) is that there are more Chinese looking people.