GAGgers, Would You Step In 🤔👍🏼👎🗣?

Heya there Everyone :) **waves** Usually my questions are light.. but today I couldn't stop myself from posting this question.

My friend and I were walking through a popular street in my city. Usually populated by tourist and locals. It's lively and chill.. but today I saw something out of the norm.

GAGgers, Would You Step In 🤔👍🏼👎🗣?
I saw two couples, obliviously homeless, Having a loud altercation that could have been heard up the block. Of course this attracted a big crowd (of both sexes) that gathered around them. Watching. It escalated pretty quickly and the guy hit the woman and she hit him back. But no one stepped in too help Not ONE! I guess they refused to dirty their very polished expensive looking shoes.

But Of course Me being me when I saw it... I made it my business and I stepped in trying to deescalate the situation and put a safe distance between him and the girl. It worked.. but she didn't want the cops involved -.-

My friend said it was reckless of me to get involved. But I was raised to help someone in need.. So what would you do.. would you step in or Nah? also why didn't the bystanders step in too help? Would the reaction have been different if they weren't homeless?

Thank you Ladies and Gents :) and sorry for the long description!

Most Helpful Guy

• That's crazy. That took courage on your part to step in, for both the possible danger and being willing to do that in front of other people. I don't think I'd call it reckless for you to step in but I would probably be uncomfortable with you doing that. I look at it like if you were my sister or girlfriend I'd probably be like wow that was a brave thing to do and very courageous but, DONT EVER DO THAT AGAIN! Lol. If I was there, it's hard to say exactly what I would do cuz unless you're really there, it's hard to say what emotions you would have. I'd be pissed for sure. I'm usually a peace making type and I think I'd do something. Maybe step in and take the woman away from the guy. I'd definitely step in before you did if I seen that you were going to do something. Plus, I've had a lot of training in that type of thing so if I was there, I'd decide what the best thing to do would be and do it. I'm cool headed in bad situations, at least I have been in the past. Once when I thought I was going to be robbed and once when my grandma was dying.

• I was just being a good Samaritan. Not brave at all :P but thank you for saying that. I guess i should have been more cautions.. as i didn't know what the guy had on his person. But i guess i saw it and i jumped in!! lmfao.. my mama would have been pissed! glad that you would do something about it. We have something in common being Cool headed :P sorry about your grandmama though.

• It's definitely good you did something and thankfully nothing more happened to you or the lady. Yeah, it sucks but she was suffering. She was doped on morphine and delirious so it was a relief when she finally went. We were ready for it too.

Most Helpful Girl

• I most definitely wouldve stepped. i agree it is risky and the outcome is unknown but so is not doing anything! Soo many lives can be saved and fights prevented by just stepping in.

I remember a few years back at out local bus station, Many people stood and watched as a crazy man attacked and beheaded a young girl.

She had dreams and aspirations, everything to live for. I wasn't present at the time and I was appaulled that people were okay with just standing and watching that poor girl breathe her last breath and didn't lift a finger to help her. Sure he had a cutlass but there were what? 20 0r men present. I am sure all cud have held him down

What Guys Said 27

• Not sure what you saw. You said, "the guy hit the woman and she hit him back." but you had already said two couples, so there were two guys and two women. Making it more dangerous. You stepped in with four people, not knowing what they might be hopped up on and not knowing what weapons they might have. that was actually worse than reckless. By the way, in the Navy I broke up a fight by pulling one guy away from the other and the second one tried to use that to his advantage and swung at the one I had, missed, and hit me square in the face. And that was with another guy trying to hold him. Much more dangerous stepping in alone and with four people.

• I've been the one arrested for stepping in before, so no not doing that again and certainly not for strangers.

These days in the UK it's just safer to call the police and only intervene if there is real threat to life - I mean we have such laws that mean burglars can sue you if they get injured while inside your house... which gives you a good idea of what to expect if you actually physically defend someone.

• i wouldn't either... seen too many bad things happen in that situation. plus i don't know anything about the reason so... mind my own business. it would have to be an extreme physical fight before i would step in just so they won't kill each other.

• Naw imma sit there and laugh as they beat each other's asses i1127.photobucket.com/.../fwJJrMi.gif

• I think that in most cases I would have to step back... being a lightweight (136 lbs - 62 kg) guy, if he were somewhat muscular I'd be like a feather getting hit by a hammer :o
    If I would see a chance to de-escalate the situation, maybe with the help of others, I'd probably try :D

• i've been on a worldstar hiphop binge so my 1st instinct would be to record it and put it on worldstar :D. but overall, probably not. but i don't typically walk around my town anyways so i'm not gonna get out of the car to stop a fight... i might circle by a few times, though! plus there's like 1 cop in the middle of my town anyways (basically to direct traffic or stuff his face in ice-cream) so there'd be no need to step in anyways. he's got it!

• Bhahahahah ^^^ this made me laugh so bad.. is he one of those stereotypical looking popo's? with the big gut and everything?

• They're usually in descent shape. I don't know why, because the hardest people go where I live is usually traffic court 😂

• eh it depends I guess...
    it's dangerous if you do it with no one to help you... but you had a crowd in your back and usually if one steps in, the other ones are more willing to help too especially if you are the one getting in trouble. so I guess you did the right thing

• im a sheepdog.

last time i stepped in i caught me a thief at my local 7-11. snagged him when he bolted for the door after snatching 2 $20 lottery scratchers. made him give em back before i let him go. he was bigger than me, so i wan't trying to pin him down on my own (no one else wanted to help.. . of course)

• get involved whenever your spirits directs you,

• What city is that... it looks pretty nice

I think it was silly for you to step in but also courageous on your part. Thing is I probably wouldn't make it my business unless I see someone severely injured, something on verge of needing hospitalization or close to it. Because the reality is we don't actually know what is causing the situation.

Be carefully before you become superwomen though lol... but great job on helping her out. You're a great Samaritan

• @TripleAce live in Vancouver Canada. Nah, I just did what i thought was best... though thank you for saying that i was courageous. I guess you're right that i was silly because i didn't know what the guy had on his person. Could have been a lot worse then what it was!

• That's interesting, I didn't think Vancouver would separate parts by district. But that's a nice way to do things. Vancouver was always a place I wanted to see but never got a chance yet. It's so west from where I am that it just never seems worth it hahah. Plane tickets are always around 1000 two way. BUT one day I defiantly will. Once I was suppose to meet someone there but instead I ended up seeing her in Chicago instead -- I was so close lol... but nevertheless Chicago was amazing :)

Skiing is extended? yea that's the part I'm trying to get at... how far into the year can you go skiing, its like... May right lol?

I'm mainly either in Ontario Toronto or Quebec Montreal. A combination of those...

• @TripleAce

Ya we do. It gets confusing though. Since there is a westside, westend, and west Vancouver -.- i hate that. I think they did that for fun sakes though. Lmfao. Oh man i totally get it! plane tickets are pricey as hell $$$ especially just to get here. Damn!!! was it? i never had a change to go -.- windy city seems to be amazing though. Do they really have the best deep dish pizza? :P

I'm sure you'll make it here!! It's really nice.. (just excuse the shitty drivers and the side of snootiness) and even though we complain about the weather we don't have it as bad as the eastern side.

Bhahah, i know still trying to wrap my head around that part! Whistler extended it due to a high season of people going up there. Quebec is dope. Except when it's snowing like there is no tmrw and T-dot I still have to go there too! Luck you though :)

• Good questions. You are brave! I put up with a lot of stuff for a long time; it might be hard for me to intervene and step in; one doesn't really know for sure until confronted. That's a good question why others did not intervene, more so if it was because they were homeless. Who knows why altercations like this start?

• you have pointed out some good points! i guess I'll not know... which sucks. Nah, i ain't brave just really nosy :P bahhah. I guess the things that happened to you have made you into you :) and in life all we can do is just pick up and keep going.

• True, experiences have shaped me. How nice of you say such encouraging things!

• I'm a pussy so i would just stand there and be like
    img.buzzfeed.com/.../...ced-8111-1409182785-12.gif

• Well their business is their business but if I would have seen you stepped in then, I would have stepped in to protect you.

• No, I don't fight for people I don't care about. They're both grown... Let them sort their own garbage.

• Honestly? Not my business. I don't make it my business to dictate how other people live their lives. If they come to me for help, sure, but for all I know she could've been hitting him, or he might be psycho

• Damn, violence surrounds you... but i gotta say... that was brave and great from you. I applaud.

I don't know if i would, depends on my humour ad if they seem dangerous.

• Oh i was just being a good Samaritan! thank you though i appreciate it. I promise my city isn't bad at all :) just this one incident. 8)

• I would have knocked the guy out, I got no tolerance for guys who hit women out of anger.

• I would have helped but sometimes you end up geting in trouble just trying to help poor souls that society has cast out or is it the they just reject society... :)

• Omg that sounds just like me! I would definitely step in. I always do that when I see someone get bullied 😎... I get my ass kicked most of the time tho XD That's what happens when u try to be the hero lol

• High-five dude. That's a good trait to have homie. Don't ever lose it. But be careful when you step in because you never know what that person has on them.

• @takumii That's a good point! i get it next time i'll be more cautious! @Mario21 bhahahaha great joke but listen to taumii.. be safe but keep the trait too.

• @takumii lmao

Yeah but I'm the "hero" at school so it's not THAT likely that they'll have a weapon. I try to avoid physical fighting as much as possible tho

• I would've stepped in if I saw it was escalating like that, yeah. Most people are more concerned about their own skin to help like that though.

• I like you're straightforwardness! That's great you would have stepped in. I mean i was shocked that there was so many people but no one did anything. But i guess like you said... some people are just too concerned about themselves these days -.-

• Yeah >.< it really sucks. Seriously some guys are to worried about themselves to even help their GIRLFRIEND it makes me sick._.

• Would step in, and have done so before.

The bystander effect is an interesting thing, you should read about it - it happens so much.

People just don't want to get involved.

• That's great that you've stepped in! i hope you were careful about when you did it though and not impulsive like I.

I am going to read about it! thank you for suggesting that. Though it is sad that it happens a lot. It's like being thirsty in a boat surrounded by salt water... it's there but it doesn't help.

Thanks for your opinion :)

• Well, yes, I was careful - but I have many years of martial arts and bouncing behind me.

You're most welcome, it's a fascinating thing to read about.

Anytime :)

• I would personally take money from all the viewers as bets on whose gonna win :/

• I would step in for sure
    Always did and always will 💁

• yes i would try to step in and help them, and no you weren't reckless for getting involved in that. yeah i think the reaction would be different if they weren't homeless. because most of the people think that homeless people are not worth human beings.

• I'm gonna be very unpopular with you and state that I would ever have stepped in. I have no interest in being potentially beaten up

• everyone has their own views. I could never be judgmental over that. Though i understand where you're coming from.

• Thanks for that - and the text is, of course, meant to be "I would never have stepped in" ... there have been many reports of people trying to break up fights, only to be attacked and brutally beaten.

And frankly, I'm not getting paid to break up fights nor have I any skills in doing so - that's what cops are getting paid to do

• No I wouldn't. I mind my own business, and I have my own life to attend to.

• You should've recorded that and uploaded to YouTube, you were now rich and hero of the day

What Girls Said 19

• I done that before. lol I don't think they were homeless but she was literally yelling and he was trying to hit her. I literally broke it up and said hey stop. I was like do you want me to call the cops? etc. and they refuse ): They told me they were playing but that didn't look like it.

• Yeah I've done it a couple time's, they only hit them because they know they can get away with it. They don't expect someone to intervene! My first time doing that I was at a metra station and they were homeless as well, security didn't do a damn thing I did. Everyone just watched, know one had the ball's or audacity to care to stop it because they weren't the ones being struck. But if this was their daughter they would tie up their combat boots and go to WAR! My friend and sibling tried to stop me it wasn't my business they said... well I'm witnessing it so it's my business now. I don't turn the other cheek to to someone in need, PERIOD!

• So u were right to step in while other's pussy out. It show's u are not as weak as them, bravo Gravy👏👏

• Since they're homeless literally anything could have happened. He could have been crazy or had a knife or other weapon. That's probably why no one stepped in. I certainly wouldn't. I would have watched to make sure nothing super serious and called the cops if it got to that point. If they weren't homeless it's hard to say what I may have done. I honestly might have kept walking thinking it was just a lover's quarrel or expected a nearby man to step in and tell the guy to cool off.

• Honestly, I would have stepped in. I am not one for violence so I'd probably just yell at them. But if I saw him hitting her I'd probably jump on his back and knock him to the ground and give her a chance to run or something. Not entirely sure what I'd do. But I wouldn't just stand there and watch... That's fucked up.

• Thank you! that's what i said FUCKED UP!! you're awesome Nichole.. I mean jump on his back. Damn girl you got some serious guts going on for you! we need more of you in mah city!!! :)

• I would have stepped in. I hate the fact there are so many homeless people and domestic abuse / abuse in general IS NEVER OKAY.
    They didn't because they figured someone else would.
    If the people were attractive or rich then people woulda been trying to stop/calm them down probably.

• If a woman is getting hit. Certainly I will step in, and have done so before. But I will try to keep a reasonable distance from the guy, in case the guy tries to hit me. ( I can't help someone if I am hurt). I used to have a couple across the street from me that used to fight regularly. The wife would be calling out for help. I was the only one who would call the police, and go over and see if she needed assistance.

• It really depends on the situation:
    * If someone were being hurt or abused, I would step in. I'd at least call someone that could help. I'm still a kid, so obviously I can't break up a fistfight between two adults, but I wouldn't leave them there.
    * If it's someone I know, I would try to figure out who started it, and comfort whoever needs it the most (after the fight, that is). I do that for my mother.

... However, if I were walking on the streets and saw a big crowd around two or more people, I would leave it be. There's already enough people there; they don't need me to be staring at them too. Surely someone older could step in and calm them both down.

• I would become the referee but first do my ear killing high pitch whistle to startle the crap out of them. That or scream my head off to make them stop hitting each other so I don't get caught in the cross fire and have them confused for a bit. Then separate them and threaten to call the cops if they didn't cool down.

• Bravo and congrats to you my girl!!! You did an awesome thing and yes, I have stepped in a few times and de-escalated the situation. That takes courage!! And you know, not everyone can de-escalate negativity. You are amazing :)

• @Stardust high-five GIRL!!! thank you for the vote of confidence. I was just doing what my mama taught me. Nothing big. It just disturbed me that no one stepped in. That's all!! and that's awesome that you've stepped in before. I hope you proceeded with caution and didn't go in impulsively like me :P and nah you're more amazing then me probably! great profile pic by the way :)

• Thank you!! And no, I am not more amazing than you! 😊

• Honestly, in any situation it's always dangerous to step in the middle because one of them could have a weapon. I've broken up situations but guess who got hurt? Me. Haha so for this I probably would have stepped in but it's dangerous that's why everyone was watching.

• In my head, I would have told myself not to get involved. But me just being me, I will say think to myself oh fuck it and step in.

• A friend of mine did the same thing years back. The woman rewarded him by sticking him in the heart with a 6" blade. He survived but barely.

• I don't care if they're homeless or millionaires, if I witness a guy hit a girl I'll do something about it

• I personally wouldn't step in, but I wouldn't stand by and watch either. I'd just ignore it. Maybe if it got extremely bad, I'd call the police.

• I would step in only to break it up, as soon as she didn't want cops involved, I would away knowing I tried.

• I'd most likely help. I'm not a sit quiet and watch person.

• I wouldn't step in not one bit. She clearly put herself in that situation by associating with him, had navy opportunities to walk away. And the fact that she did not want to call the cops is an indication that this is pretty normal for her. Why should you rush getting arrested or stabbed over finding that isn't your problem and she could have avoided. That's why most people don't step in. For some it could be the homeless part but bystander syndrome is pretty typical, for a reason.

• YES!

• It was raining and I didn't have my glasses. Hard to see