We're you spanked as a child? And with what?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep. My father believed in spanking (via hand usually).

While it hurt at the time naturally, I am actually supportive of his decision in spanking. The reason is that I can recall almost every time I was spanked, even nowadays. From that, I can also recall the reasons why.
    Growing up, these spankings served as lessons and reminders of wrongdoings I had done so I could avoid them. It helped me in learning what was acceptable vs unacceptable. I probably would've turned out as a different kind of person without corporal punishment as a child, and I am pretty happy with how I turned out today.

• Was it really a deterrent, though? Kinda seems like weak sauce...

• Interesting analysis. Fair enough.

I hear you on the "dad-anger" thing, although we never had beatings/spankings.
      Interestingly, I've rarely ever seen a woman pull off the same kind of anger effectively. More often it just looks like a loss of control.

• @redeyemindtricks Yeah my mom never did the spankings. My dad was the one to do most of the big time punishment while the mom was basically the emotional fallback (and person to petition an easier punishment to haha)

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, probably less than ten times growing up with a wooden spoon. The last time I think I may have been 8 or 9 years old, then they started using reason only! I was never hit hard enough to leave a bruise, it stung enough to make ke think about being disobedient to my parents again.

When I would get spanked it was always a last resort action on my parents part. They had drawn the line, told me if I disobeyed the rules again that I would get spanked. The part I respect was that when they told me they were going to punish me for my defiant behavior they followed through with it.

Unlike some of my friends parents who would tell them they would get punished for disobedient behavior, when they disobeyed again they were told again that if they did it again they'd get it! They seemed unfair to me they never knew if they'd get in trouble or just another warning.

I appreciate that my parents were and still are consistent. They made the level of punishment fit the level of disobedience to the rules that they had clearly communicated to me and both of my brothers. I am supportive of their reasoning to use spanking as a tool to correct bad behavior, especially since it wasn't the first tool they reached for.

What Guys Said 28

• yes. hand or wooden spoon.
    I do not consider it abuse. I was never beaten, never hit when I did not deserve it, and i knew when i broke a rule that was a punishment.

I know a kid whose dad beat him. And I know what I experienced. Spankings are not child abuse.

• Yes I was and it was with my mothers hand.. and now being way older I still do get spanked.. but it is not for being bad.. but my lady friends still use their hands but this time I have on the undies I wear now.. it is all great foreplay and just kicks the evening off

• Yes, hand, belt, switch, paddle, book and with pants down and naked

• 1|1
  • Yes I was a belt a hand and I turned out Awesoe

• Yeah definitely spanked as a kid, but not just the hand. I was spanked with cords, brooms, paddles. Gotta say it does work it just has to be done right. there's a difference between spanking and a beating. Done right most of the time the kid grows up to be a respectful human being. I see kids nowadays and dont see any discipline.

• My Dad used a belt or his hand, but almost never spanked me because I behaved when he was around...

My Mom used a plastic handle from a Tupperware dish that stung like hell.

• Well my father once slapped me on the face but it was because his friend died in the battlefield next to him so I don't think that counts but other than that I was NEVER touched by my parents

• not spank but worst, iv'e been beaten up badly from 5 different people in a day sometimes by hand and sometimes by a belt or a shoe.

• Never. This is not the 1950's. There is better ways to handle things without violence. Spanking should only be for the bedroom. The same thing can be said about whipping.

• Bro you don't know what u talking about spankig and sipping is the same thing is just done with different objects and plus let some kid go to the corner is not going to anything cuz they don't feel the pain than there going to do it again cuz the punishment deosent hurt. Wile the other way hitting a kid with a belt is painful and they won't do it again cuz they know if they do something wrong there are going to get spanked by the belt witch it hurts

• Fucking belt man and flip flops.

• no but by mom told me she threw me up against the couch once when she lost her temper.

• yes, either my dads hand or a belt

• nope, as far as I know no

• Yep, usually with a belt or switch.

• a cane or belt

• Only a little smack every now and then. I was a cheeky little shit, but I turned out great.

• Nope. I was stung with needles and throat grabbed. Not joking.

• Yeah, taught my ass some respect. I was a little ungrateful bastard, lol.

• Hand. Belt. Coat rack. Metal coat rack. Wooden cooking utensils. Metal Belt buckle.

• Belt
    Or soap in the mouth. yuk :p

• A belt

• yes tbh, i enjoyed it

• ye by ur mom lol

• Never an actual repeated spanking. I had gotten a single slap here and there though.

I wouldn't say it served as an actual deterrent though. My parents were never very strict, or disciplinarians by any means. My mom was even softer when my dad moved out.

My parents never really had anything to do with my behavior. I was never really punished, but i also rarely acted out. I was a pretty good kid, especially compared to my siblings.

As a kid, the only thing that kept me from acting out was the fact that i didn't like being told what to do. I behaved on my own accord, in hopes that my parents would never HAVE to tell me what to do.

• No. And wisely so. Quite frankly there was no need and I was never one to appreciate unjust treatment. I would have most likely walked out the door if they tried it. I also like to believe my parents were capable enough not to need to physically assert dominance over their own children ^^.

• yup, mum would hit me with a ruler

• Yes. With everything. My mother killed my brother.

• I am really sorry!

• @Poppykate Thanks poppy. You seem to be popping up on all my answers. I don't mind it.

What Girls Said 20

• I never got spanked and I believe in my mom's philosophy of not doing it. I don't believe you need to resort to violence to teach a child a lesson. I believe it's lazy parenting.

• U oh really it worked for me thoe shoo plus it tuaght me not to be a pussy. Plus not to be razos but whites people don't really spank there kids

• At young age I was a good boy well except for a fight that I went into in school. But My ma wup my ASS with a belt to teach me a lesson to not do it again. In is not abuse u don't know what abuse is let me tell u what abuse is abuse is when you put a child in a cage or your child is sleeping in a garage. My ma always told me I am wupping cuz I love u son and I belive that

• @Slimshady2017 And once again, I disagree. It's my opinion.

• Yes..
    -hand
    -thin tree branch
    -power cord
    -belt
    -wooden spoon
    -a thick book
    Whatever was useful and nearby

• yes I was

• Yes, mostly i was spanked and chased around the house with a wooden spoon. Let's just say i learned mah lesson

• No, I wasn't because my parents knew how to parent properly.

• Hell yeah I was. My mom usually did the dirty job, my dad never laid a hand on me. It didn't really hurt but it was so humiliating.

• no, i was forced to exercise lmao
    mom: "raise ur hands up against the wall... straight up... good now stay like that for the next 10 minutes"
    me: *apologizes profusely cuz i dont wanna do that*

• No, I was never spanked. I come from a very liberal family that didn't believe in hitting children to prove a point. We had other forms of punishment, like groundings, extra chores, taking away privileges, time outs, etc.

• Spanked? No, but my mother let my sisters to hit me when I did wrong. I was allowed to hit my sisters aswell. We were permited to defend ourselves.

• No I was never spanked.

• Yes I was & with what ever she found handy.

• Yes. Hand, belt, paddle.

• Yip, and with anything that my parents could get a hand on. From belts made from cattle skin to sticks, worse part that you had to pick the stick.

• a1. Sadly yes, by my mother only.
    a2. With anything she could get her hands on at the time.

• No, I wasn't spanked.

• Yes I was and mainly with a belt or their hand

• Nah amazing my parents were not that way. I spank my girlfriend for sexual reasons.

• Yeah I was a bad girl. Belts, by hand, and ropes.

• belts, wooden spoons, spatulas, hand

• Yes, by a belt or a spoon or just a hand. This was just 7-9 years ago