Do you believe Nelson Mandela was a terrorist?

Nelson Mandela and the ANC were deemed as terrorists by the US. USA, UK, and Israel opposed Mandela and supported the South African apartheid. Like they say, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. What was he in your opinion? A terrorist? Or a freedom fighter that most people see him as?

• He was a terrorist
  • He was not a terrorist. He was a freedom fighter

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think any action of his describes him as a terrorist. Some were always against the blacks and Mandela being a most powerful face being a black was a punch on their faces.

What Girls Said 5

• what the fuck @ the 2 people who said he's a terrorist. are you seriously deeming one of the bravest men in the continent of africa a "terrorist"? you guys are honestly overusing that word. he worked to better south africa into not being the hell hole it was beforehand. he stood up against apartheid which not only segregated black people (in our own continent :/ ) but also white people and Asians. interracial marriages weren't allowed, apartheid south africa virtually alienated black SA's in their own land.

• One guy here is saying that it's a lie that he was a freedom fighter. A lot of people believe he was a terrorist. Especially Westerners.

• last time i checked the British were the ones who carried apartheid out what their decedents think about nelson mandela is irrelevant. their offspring did throw him in jail from disagreeing with them, after all. it's ridiculous how you won't hear people calling the American founding fathers or civil rights leaders terrorists but as soon as it's outside of the US they start tossing offensive labels around. the word terrorist has turned into the word 'communist' like a virus that hurts anything associated with it.

• That is very true. And don't you find it interesting how all the non anonymous users here posting and saying he wasn't a terrorist are all not white? Even though this is a site with a great white majority? I don't know about you but to me, their silence speaks volumes.

• And so what? Just because some countries (that are not so clean) declared something it has to be true? I don't see why he would be a terrorist... pff

• Many believe he is, which is why I asked.

• Haha true. This question is actually not showing up in the feed. I'm really surprised that it's not.

• Yeah you are right the situation Is really really bad but It's worth being like, way better than being under the control of some white settlers and some shit, as an Algerian we chosed fo free ourselves from the French occupation even when we knew the situation is gonna be awful... I am just saying being in deep shit but free is better than being humiliated and dominated

• Goverment will tag as criminal/terrorist anyone who opposes them. Doesn't matter if the evil one is the goverment.

• Umm what?

• Do you believe he was a terrorist or not a terrorist? US, UK, and Israel opposed Mandela and supported the South African apartheid. He was listed as a terrorist by America till 2008.

• He isn't a terrorist... he fought for freedom from the apartheid. It sucks that he was still listed as a terrorist by America until 2008, almost TWENTY YEARS after the apartheid was lifted...

• There are people here who gave their reasons to why they think he's a terrorist.

• He was definitely not a terrorist.

What Guys Said 16

• lol to me no way he is, it just depends on which stand to look at it... It's just like the case of 1916 Easter Rising in Ireland. For the British empire it was a terrorism but for the people under rule of British Empire it was for freedom. Now Ireland celebrates the heroic acts by the people behind the uprising, though there are still some British people out there who comapared that event 100 years ago to modern say terrorism lel
    www.joe.ie/.../536922

• Terrorist is the most trite and over used term ever maybe behind communist. It's ambiguous as hell too. A real propaganda word that can be cut and pasted onto any situation or person. The west and the US especially call anybody who doesn't go along with their world domination plans a terrorist and smears them in the press. We believe it all like the good little sheep we are too. most of the people they've ever called terrorist have had totally legitimate reasons for fighting. Are you evil for fighting oppression. No. Every person has a God given right to protect what's his. Be it a country, a people or an ideal.

• He was a freedom fighter. he had all of us South Africans at his mercy when he left prison and chose peace. But unfortunately it was all in vain and many of the black people especially spit on his grave. The blacks have never been in this much poverty ever. The anc is a fuckin dog show now and South Africa is slowly dying.

• Well. If you take a look at how South Africa is today compared to how it was before the fall of Apartheid.

Personally I think he was a stubborn tool. Now the country is ruined and white people who built the nation are subjected to a gruesome genocide which the rest of the world refuses to admit.

• I don't know about him but I know the difference between a terrorist and a freedom fighter is timing and of course which side you're on.

• everything is perspective to some he is a terrorist and others a freedom fighter

• slayed.

• No fuck.. Nelson Mandela wasn't a Muslim !

• he's a freedom fighter for sure.

• he was im so glad he is dead

• I don't know but terrorists are lame. alright im hungry ima get food

• ye he still is one

• His cause was just, but many of his methods were not.
    His history is generally whitewashed, making him out to be a hero. And while it is true that he was nearly a saint compared to many African leaders, and that, as I said, the root cause he was fighting for was a just one, end of day, he WAS a terrorist, based on HOW we went about change.

And just because I know someone will at least think it: whitewash is not a racial based word/phrase. It means "to gloss over or cover up vices, crimes or scandals or to exonerate by means of a perfunctory investigation or through biased presentation of data".

• I haven't heard of negative comments about the guy so I dont know. Maybe he's done bad stuff but I've never heard of it.

• Terrorists are people who "use violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes".

Ultimately the authority of any state rests on the use of violence, the MONOPOLY of the use of violence. If you don't believe that try not paying your taxes and then refusing to allow yourself to be arrested. Terrorists are therefore people using unofficially sanctioned violence to coerce. The question then is how and by whom is this sanction arrived at? If you appoint yourself you are a terrorist, if you can claim to be acting for a people you are a freedom fighter.

• I think he destroyed what decency the country of South Africa had left, so yes I could see why people would consider him a terrorist. Ruining an entire country certainly doesn't make you a hero.

• Why do you say he ruined it? Isn't freedom the most important thing ever for human beings?

• @Curiousness23 You have been told a lie, voting does not equal freedom. Politicians get up there and lie all the time to the crowd in order to get a vote, and the crowd follows blindly believing them. That is not freedom to me, that is mass mind control. I would rather leave political decisions to a few people committed to my country then have millions of uneducated idiots voting in lying morons.

• @Curiousness23 Can one really say that lack of order and living in fear of crime and violence is freedom? The law of the jungle is the most ruthless system there is.