Suicide or murder?

Ronald Opus jumped from a 10-story window intending to commit suicide. On his way down, someone shot a bullet from the ninth floor, killing him instantly. Opus had no idea that a safety net had been installed just below the eighth floor, which would have hindered his suicide attempt had the bullet not killed him. The bullet was traced back to Opus’ father, who had a habit of threatening his wife with an unloaded shotgun. He believed the gun was unloaded when he fired the shot that killed his son. Police later discovered that Ronald Opus, the son, had put the bullet in the gun because his mother cut him off financially. Knowing about his dad’s habit of threatening her with the unloaded gun, he hoped the bullet would kill his mother so he could receive financial support from his father. Thinking that his plan had not worked, the son decided to take his life that day.

So suicide or murder? I think murder.

Once the polls are in, I'll update the Q to show the ruling of the lawyer.

• Suicide
  • Murder
  • 'Dunno
Yea it was ruled as a suicide.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 17

• It was suicide on the kids part, unintentional homicide on the father's part.

oh, it was also attempted murder on the son's part, trying to ensure his mom died. If she had, it would have been an unintentional murder or manslaughter charge against the father, and charges (for her dying at least) might be dropped altogether when they realized the father kept his gun unloaded, and that the son loaded it intentionally.

• Opus' father is guilty of negligent discharge of a firearm, as everyone who owns a firearm knows when you pick up a firearm you consider it loaded. Not knowing it was loaded is no excuse, it is loaded whether it really is or not.

It is not murder because murder charges require intent. It is not suicide because suicide means killing yourself, not someone else killing you even if actions you took contributed to the killing.

Opus' father could be charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide depending on jurisdiction. Since Opus was killed by another human it is by definition homicide.

• none of these it was an accidental death, as their was no intent on killing the son it was a mis-fire that took his life. The fact that he had jumped is irrelevant, nor the fact that the son knew of the bullet as when the son loaded the weapon the son was not the intended target Accidental death, or involuntary manslaughter.

• opus wouldn't have been hit w/ the shotgun if he hadn't jumped from a 10 story building.

the shotgun might as well be a coffee pot w/ the spout clogged. unable to hear the the squeal of boiling water, it's left unattended building up pressure inside the kettle, until it explodes sending shrapnel out the window and all over the kitchen... one piece manages to hit opus on his way down, killing him instantly.

still look like manslaughter/murder?

suicide

• The intent matters, the father didn't kill the boy intently, neither was it in a spur if events. It was a coincidence. He cannot be punished.
    The boy intended to commit suicide and he took his step, the most the father can be charged with is assisted suicide and that too seems far off the bat because its impossible to aim for that kind of shot purposely.

Tl;Dr = Suicide.

• It's murder.

He was alive when he was shot and killed. Much like, if there hadn't been any safety net and he would have hit the pavement, but would have still been alive, but someone would have stepped out of the building and shot him in the head; it would be considered murder; because the jumper was still alive until he was shot

• 2|0
    • This amazing tale of a bizarre suicide attempt appeared on the Internet in August 1994. Prized both for the entertaining logic problem it presents as well as the morally-just surprise ending, even years later it remains a cyber-favorite and continues to be forwarded to ever-widening circles of netizens.

A story this good should be true. Alas, it's not. There never was a suicidal Ronald Opus, a feuding, shotgun-wielding older couple, or an increasingly confused medical examiner trying to get to the bottom of things. But there is some truth to it, for there is a Don Harper Mills, and he did tell this very story at a meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

• attemted suicide and attemted murder from the sons side and manslaughter from the dads side to be exact.

• god damn I hope that is a fake case, that is complicated. I would judge suicide though, he had no way of knowing the net was there and the bullet was an accident

• Suicide. Even though he had placed the bullet for his mom, the bullet traced its path back to the rightful owner.
    His bullet, his skull, an unintentional suicide.

• Involuntary manslaughter.

• I agree with some other people here, I think it would be considered an "Involuntary manslaughter".

• Both him and his father are murders in my opinion.

• Involuntary manslaughter

• Murder 100%

• It was ruled as suicide.

• Dunno cos didn't read lmaoo

• You're supposed to look me in the eye while giving bj. Not browse some stupid gag question fgit.

• @takumii yea right I can literally read whole twilight novel and still take care of that 2 inchwr fgit, just like how I do with ur dad

What Girls Said 4

• The dude that jumped off the building was planning to commit suicide. So if the gun was never fired, he still planned to kill himself. Doesn't matter if he knew about the net or not because in his mind he was ready to kill himself. Though the cause of death is still who ever shot the gun off, and again doesn't matter if they thought it was a blank. It's a gun and guns are meant to kill things. So the second you shoot one, you risk killing something with it.

Since the person who shot the gun off did kill him in the end. It's murder no matter if he meant to do it or not. Just that in this case the dude wouldn't go to jail for premeditation murder.

• I just saw Magnolia, so I know what you are referring to haha.

SPOILERS

He was attempting suicide, however he wouldn't have died since the net was there. He did however die because his mom shot the gun and hit him right as he went by the window, killing him. That's a tough case and a sucky coincidence. I know how the verdict went but still... I guess I agree with it but it's such a grey area.

• Suicide. The father did not intentionally kill his son. The son's intentions were to commit suicide, and the final result was his death. The father's intentions were not to murder his son. It is all about intent.

• read this on quora awhile back